Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Davybe

Jane Mcdonald goes cruising @

53 posts in this topic

A new series of 4 programs start this Friday Channel 5 at 9-0pm. 

If anything like the last series it will be worth watching ,this weeks is a Baltic cruise .....Davybe

I'll be watching because I thought the last series was really good & Jane comes over as a very nice friendly person.

I will watch and try and get as much info as possible from cruise lines and ports/countries visited without trying to listen to Jane McDonald she is so false and trying to be "one of us" it is all a big act.

Davybe likes this

7 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I will watch and try and get as much info as possible from cruise lines and ports/countries visited without trying to listen to Jane McDonald she is so false and trying to be "one of us" it is all a big act.

That really surprises me Sinbad, I'm no Jane McDonald fan but from what I've seen of her she comes across as a what you see is what you get kind of gal, no heirs or graces.

I enjoyed the last series, however we could've done without her having to sing at the end of every episode, with the exception of amazing grace.

HLM.

oldbiddy1 likes this

33 minutes ago, HLM said:

That really surprises me Sinbad, I'm no Jane McDonald fan but from what I've seen of her she comes across as a what you see is what you get kind of gal, no heirs or graces.

I enjoyed the last series, however we could've done without her having to sing at the end of every episode, with the exception of amazing grace.

HLM.

I just think its an act and not genuine but we are all have differing opinions it would be a funny old world if we all liked the same people.

Mermaid Mutterings, B&M and HLM like this

We were on a cruise Jane McDonald was on a few years ago ( Oriana ) nothing false about her at all, what you see is what you get, no airs and graces whatsoever, I'm not particularly a fan but the two shows she did we're superb, she also seemed to enjoy mixing with passengers and was often seen around the ship chatting to anyone around, I would call that pretty genuine.

PP it has already been done from a passenger point of view, did you not see the Princess programmes, based on them I certainly wouldn't be encouraged to book Princess :rolleyes:

JH327, B&M and Davybe like this

11 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

Rather than having what might be termed celebrities doing these shows it would make them more interesting if they did them from a passengers point of view.

I think that is the idea with this series.but using a Celebrity means more people will watch it. I think she does a decent job but as with any program it is made to be TV viewing ,or what the producer/director thinks is good viewing....Davybe

*Dancing Queen* likes this

19 hours ago, roseyroo said:

I think it's a good way of getting to see different ships, agree, just wish she wouldn't sing at the end,

Better Jane than Bonnie Tyler ?

We turn over when the singing starts managed to miss most of them up till now....Davybe

roseyroo likes this

23 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

We were on a cruise Jane McDonald was on a few years ago ( Oriana ) nothing false about her at all, what you see is what you get, no airs and graces whatsoever, I'm not particularly a fan but the two shows she did we're superb, she also seemed to enjoy mixing with passengers and was often seen around the ship chatting to anyone around, I would call that pretty genuine.

PP it has already been done from a passenger point of view, did you not see the Princess programmes, based on them I certainly wouldn't be encouraged to book Princess :rolleyes:

Quite surprising just how many headliners avoid eye contact with passengers. But some are very friendly  and mix with the passengers others just hide away,They say that Bruce Forsyth was happy to chat with people in the street....Davybe

Funnily enough it doesn't surprise me when headliners avoid eye contact, I accept they are there for the passenger benefit but they are also entitled to some privacy, some people fall over themselves if they see 'someone' wandering around or in the buffet and make a beeline for them I've seen it happen many times, just like at the cocktail parties there are always one or two who hog the Captains attention :rolleyes: I love to just stand and observe it can be very entertaining ;) I'm sure we've all met Mr and Mrs 'aren't we popular' 

I will smile and say hello to anyone regardless of who they are but intrude on their space ... never.

Sailaway, Davybe, jasper and 5 others like this

5 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Funnily enough it doesn't surprise me when headliners avoid eye contact, I accept they are there for the passenger benefit but they are also entitled to some privacy, some people fall over themselves if they see 'someone' wandering around or in the buffet and make a beeline for them I've seen it happen many times, just like at the cocktail parties there are always one or two who hog the Captains attention :rolleyes: I love to just stand and observe it can be very entertaining ;) I'm sure we've all met Mr and Mrs 'aren't we popular' 

I will smile and say hello to anyone regardless of who they are but intrude on their space ... never.

In fairness we Brits are a bit more reserved than the Yanks ,but I agree some people have no respect for others space or privacy ,and you see the same people getting the Captain in a headlock ,no matter how long the queue is.

we were on Millennium when one of there big TV stars was on the ship, each port the yanks were queueing up to see him, He was first off and into a Limo to avoid the crowds,He went on deck very early in the morning with a hat and glasses on, and a friend we know was chatting away to him ,not realising who he was till later in the cruise.I often wondered what he thought about that meeting...Davybe

We once sailed back from Caribbean on Oceana and while having afternoon tea in buffet restaurant we were approached and asked if we would mind if he joined us and chatted. He said that he was on his own and nobody would approach and chat to him and if he sat on a table on his own nobody would ask to join him. It was Andrew Sachs who was doing a Performing Arts talk during the cruise and we had a pleasant chat with a lovely gentleman.

oldbiddy1 likes this

7 hours ago, sinbad10 said:We once sailed back from Caribbean on Oceana and while having afternoon tea in buffet restaurant we were approached and asked if we would mind if he joined us and chatted. He said that he was on his own and nobody would approach and chat to him and if he sat on a table on his own nobody would ask to join him. It was Andrew Sachs who was doing a Performing Arts talk during the cruise and we had a pleasant chat with a lovely gentleman.

Totally agree with your comments about Andrew Sachs, a lovely man. My Dad & I I met him at one of the Royal Garden Parties and he was so interested in my late dad's experiences as a Commando that we wandered round the grounds of Buckingham Palace talking and nearly missed our tea and the Queen!!  I hope Jane McDonald does as good a series of programmes as she did last time, which although not totally perfect were certainly many, many times better than some of the other Cruise Type programmes we have been assaulted with before which  show some cruise lines in a very bad light and do nothing to promote the wonderful experiences I have come to know and expect from a cruise holiday. I try now not to have too many preconceived ideas about "Celebrities "  as  on so many occasions I have found my judgement to be wrong, now I wait till I've actually met them  then form my opinion ... after all I am not sure I would want to meet myself on a bad day!!!!

B&M likes this

Just watched the first episode & I must say that is certainly a stunning ship - with prices to match. Jane was a joy to watch (including her singing)  & the sequence in the launderette certainly struck a chord - I will certainly see out of order signs in a different light now! 

Davybe and *Dancing Queen* like this

3 hours ago, 2torts said:

Just watched the first episode & I must say that is certainly a stunning ship - with prices to match. Jane was a joy to watch (including her singing)  & the sequence in the launderette certainly struck a chord - I will certainly see out of order signs in a different light now! 

I  agree a very good programme and it showed the ship in an excellent  light and bought back fond memories of doing a similar cruise  on Queen Victoria. I smiled over the laundry incident as the "Mutinies ' that seem to occur in all the ships that have laundry facilities would compete with Captain Bligh and the Bounty!!!  Most enjoyable and I hope the rest of the series continues to be as good, looking forward to next week.

Davybe and *Dancing Queen* like this

We Berthed next to this ship in Tallinn last year ,and it looks great from the outside, so glad I got to see the inside last night.Just need to win the Lottery and away we would go. That Owners suite she got was something else, mind you the other state room she went to looked pretty good.The ship as a whole looked classy.

Enjoyed the program she has her own style and sense of humour ....Davybe

Viking Sky looked very impressive but unfortunately out of my league price wise and I just wished she didnt have to sing.

Enjoyed the programme and her singing, at least she is in tune, not like some people who should have retired years ago. The price looks high at first glance, but when you consider Drinks at meal times are included, tours and tips also included, I don't think it is too bad a price.

Davybe likes this

I enjoyed the last series and this one looks good too.  I quite like Jane (seen her live twice) but do find the singing at the end of each programme rather incongruous.  My other small criticism is that the programme is a bit light on decent information.  For instance, Jane just walzted off the ship in St Petersburg.  It would have been sensible to mention that if you do not go on an organised tour, you need to get a Visa in advance.  If I want to be really picky, I would have liked her to use the full (commonly used) name of the church she was outside - i.e. Church of the Saviour on the Spilled Blood (I told you it was really picky :)).  I am however looking forward to the rest of the series.

I enjoyed the show last night on her med experence, But would not to sail on MSC thank you,

just my opinion I don't like big ships 

thought the ship and its facilities looked impressive but dont know if 5000+ passengers is a step too far and could see the programme leading too a finale of Jane McDonald singing Gracie so was quickly turned off.

Davybe likes this

On 31/08/2017 at 6:02 PM, sinbad10 said:

We once sailed back from Caribbean on Oceana and while having afternoon tea in buffet restaurant we were approached and asked if we would mind if he joined us and chatted. He said that he was on his own and nobody would approach and chat to him and if he sat on a table on his own nobody would ask to join him. It was Andrew Sachs who was doing a Performing Arts talk during the cruise and we had a pleasant chat with a lovely gentleman.

When I was on Artemis I met Lionel Blair who, once he knew me, often came and had a chat. The same with Clem Curtis (RIP) he was always chatty and sociable.