Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GWRFAN

Upgrades

24 posts in this topic

Something that really annoys me is to hear a passenger ranting at reception staff on embarkation day for not giving him an upgrade because he "always gets one". Even after being told all cabins are fully booked, the cheapskate continues to blame everyone except himself for not getting a better cabin than he booked.

Shouting at staff, for whatever reason, should never be tolerated and in my opinion such passengers should be thrown off the ship at the next port.

Am I being unreasonable here?

I would say it is not you being the unreasonable one--in 16 cruises my wife and I have only ever been offered one upgrade [and that was due to a couple wishing to have the next-door cabin to friends of theirs] 

Very unreasonable, I wouldn't even wait until the next port :)

We've only had one upgrade ever. We had booked two insides next to each other as there were no 4-berths available on the cruise we wanted, and were thrilled to find on check-in that we'd been upgraded to two outsides instead. Until we saw the "consecutive" cabin numbers - D102 and D103 could hardly be further apart! That was 30+ cruises ago, and the first and last time we had an upgrade.

Hi  Upgrades are a bonus but nobody has a right to expect one.  The person you mention in the topic is certainly a person I wouldn't wish to meet during the cruise, in fact, I would be certainly feel that the cruise line had every right to frog march if off the vessels immediately.  No member of staff should be subjective to verbal abuse over this issue.   However, I have been a little more fortunate that the other responders on this topic as I have be upgraded on around 25% of my cruises (the best one was from an low deck inside cabin to a high deck balcony cabin).  I was grateful for all these bonuses but I never expect to have them every time but I always get the cabin I paid for so why complain.

Davybe likes this

In my 20 odd cruises I have never had an upgrade and wouldn't necessarily want one. I choose a cabin for a specific location and an upgrade doesn't necessarily mean better. I wouldn't expect one and even if I did I wouldn't rant and rave if I didn't get one.  The cruise lines must be attracting the wrong type of clientele these days.... 🤓

Think many of those that do brag about "upgrades" are actually "Saver" deals where they book the lowest grade in that category and they might be given a higher one. Nothing special and not always as good as many people make out because the cabins that are left closer to sailing are in positions where nobody wants them that is why they are available.

Davybe and HLM like this

We've had 1 upgrade with P & O. We had picked our cabin & were upgraded to one 3 categories higher a couple of weeks before we sailed. It was only 7 doors away from the original one & identical inside the only difference being that it was slightly more midships. 

We have had a stateroom change, by P&O would not call it much of a upgrade, but have had several upgrades with Cunard but have cruised with them a lot, over 20 so far, I don't know if that makes any difference.

18 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Think many of those that do brag about "upgrades" are actually "Saver" deals where they book the lowest grade in that category and they might be given a higher one. Nothing special and not always as good as many people make out because the cabins that are left closer to sailing are in positions where nobody wants them that is why they are available.

Quite right Sinbad, I've read on numerous occasions where people say they've been upgraded only to return and explain it was infact a downgrade.

I believe this also occurs when booking select fare with P&O, tick the upgrade box and end up being in an inferior cabin, they then re sell your cabin at a premium rate.

If I was ever offered an upgrade on boarding I'd certainly be asking to see both cabins before making a decision, I certainly wouldn't ask for one on arrival.

HLM.

I once saw a lady st reception saying she did not like her cabin and wanted an upgrade, she was told she could pay an extra £400 each to upgrade to a balcony, I had to laugh she was outraged, I was next to her, in the line about a missing suitcase, which had been put in the wrong cabin and guests in that cabin had ignored it, I got a bottle of champagne and a apology from the hotel services manager so I was happy

Davybe likes this

A friend decided that he would negotiate an upgrade ,he got a Suite on Grandeur off the seas ,for a few hundred USD .

They were really chuffed with there bargain until we hit the Fog bank's around Halifax , they were under the Fog horn which sounded every 15 minutes or so through the night ,4 nights with little sleep took the edge of the Bargain...Davybe

1 hour ago, casper said:

I have noticed more and more with P&O Cruises that they seem to offer you a paid upgrade - and they are not a lot of money

I am always open to a good offer,Fingers crossed for our Christmas Cruise....Davybe

I think I've said this before.  Only ever agreed to an upgrade once and that was when we booked an obstructed balcony on Adonia - there only appear to be two of them so we thought it was worth the risk.   It was.  We were duly upgraded free of charge to an unobstructed balcony - and very nice it was too.

alpagroves likes this

We have done very well with upgrades with Cunard but I do tend to book on a guarantee basis  ( not a saver fare ) I've done my homework and tbh the cabin grade I book there are no badly positioned cabins, there might be ones I would have a preference for but we can't always expect  get what we would prefer .. to date I have never been disappointed :) having done numerous P&O cruises we have never been offered an upgrade 'paid' or 'otherwise' 

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Well we were offered an upgrade from an inside to a balcony on a trip through the Panama. Really grateful and a smart move on P&O’s part as we have chosen a balcony ever since

We have just returned from a Mediterranean cruise on Aurora.

Before we booked the cruise through Bolsover, we checked the availability of various cabin grades on the P&O website.  Although this cruise was almost fully sold out, we could have selected our cabin number from a rather limited range of unsold cabins - or we could have booked a cabin on a guaranteed basis.  After allowing for the on board credit, there was little difference between cost of a Select or Saver fare - so we opted for Select fares.  That enabled us to specify our dining preferences, etc.

We booked a "guaranteed" outside cabin in a grade which, according to P&O, was "sold out".  We received our cabin allocation three weeks prior to departure!  And although we would have been happy with the grade we had booked, we were delighted to receive a three grade upgrade to an outside cabin, in a much better location.

Cruise lines know that some passengers will cancel.  That is why they accept bookings on a guaranteed basis.  If there are no cancellations in the specified grade, they might move other passengers who have paid the full fare to a higher grade.  Otherwise, the guarantee will take effect, so you should always receive the grade you have booked or a higher grade.  Furthermore,  you are more likely to qualify for an upgrade, if you book a cabin grade, which appears to be sold out. 

Rule 1 for me - never, ever agree to an upgrade when booking.  I know exactly where I want to be, and there is only one place that would better it (and I won't get that).  Everything else would be in reality a downgrade.  So often the case that 'upgrades' prove to be anything but.

Tally and HLM like this

Personally If I were the ships reception I would offer someone like this the noisiest cabin on the ship and when they came back complaining about that I would just say it was your choice not ours' put up & shut up' it might stop them being so rude in future

17 hours ago, doca said:

Rule 1 for me - never, ever agree to an upgrade when booking.  I know exactly where I want to be, and there is only one place that would better it (and I won't get that).  Everything else would be in reality a downgrade.  So often the case that 'upgrades' prove to be anything but.

Rule 1 for me is do your homework, it is possible to agree to an upgrade when booking if you look at every grade above what you are booking and if you would be happy with where they are for me it's a no brainer, it does depend on the individual though many like to be mid ships/low down  because it is more stable in rough seas, fortunately I'm a pretty good sailor so I'm never really concerned I might be forward/aft  or high but can understand those who wouldn't like it, I rather enjoy rough seas makes you feel like you are on a ship :)

Jenjen likes this

28 minutes ago, roscol said:

We accepted upgrade on Azura 2yrs ago from balcony to penthouse. Wonderful experience!

The two penthouse suites on Azura (and Ventura for that matter) are excellent, with plenty of space.  As you say, it's an enjoyable experience.  Rather pricier now than they used to be, but if your only possible upgrade is to these, from a B2 grade suite, I'd go for it.  Problem with that is that the B2 suites wouldn't be ones that I'd want to book.

Edited by doca