Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MikeLowry

The Aftermath of Hurricane Irma

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had their holiday affected by Irma?

Sunday should have seen us heading to Miami for 5 nights but I'm afraid Irma has put paid to our plans. It wasn't a cruise on this occasion, just a land holiday to Miami and NYC, but after seeing things progressing over the weekend and realising Irma looked set to be a biggie we didn't have much choice but to change our plans. It has been an expensive and extensive exercise of changing flights, cancelling US domestic flights and rearranging hotels but we are now headed for Las Vegas instead. The weather will undoubtedly be better and whilst we're really disappointed to be missing Miami, I'm grateful we were able to make the changes in time, which is more than can be said for many by the look of things.

It looks like St Maarten and Barbuda have been all but obliterated, along with much of the British Virgin Islands, with Puerto Rico suffering at the moment and Florida next in line. It is very sad to see these places in ruin. We had initially planned to cruise from Miami departing on Saturday but decided otherwise and went for a land holiday instead. I do wonder what is happening with cruises due to depart from Florida. Will they be cancelled or rerouted? Will cruises to St Maarten, the BVI and other affected islands have their itineraries changed until they are pieced back together? Sad times for all involved.

Furby and Tally like this

I've seen a fairly extensive list of cruises that have either been altered or cancelled altogether. Royal Caribbean seem to have the most itineraries impacted by the hurricane. I read this morning that on cruises that are going ahead but they have been forced to change the itinerary itself to avoid the storm, passengers are being offered the option of going ahead with their plans but receiving a partial refund or cancelling altogether for a full refund. Credit where credit is due, it's good that Royal Caribbean are offering both choices to guests due to travel. 

I can only imagine the devastation the storm has caused in those areas you mentioned Mike. It looks horrible.

I can’t even comprehend living through anything like this, to have something as basic as your home ripped away with everything inside, my heart goes out to everyone affected.

I was on carnivals Facebook yesterday and the amount of selfish people moaning about changes to their holidays, spare a thought for people who have their whole lives affected, not just a day out of their holiday. 

Morio, Emmone, Ahoy and 12 others like this

My heart goes out to all in the Caribbean, I love these islands and once they have recovered from the horrific storms and start to rebuild their homes and businesses they will need as much tourism as possible to boost there income.

B&M, JH327 and Emmone like this

I join with other forum members in feeling so sorry for the people of the wonderful Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma. Sadly, there may be worse to come with Hurricane Jose following on.

I wonder if the cruise companies will help in any way e.g. by donating funds to reconstruction projects? 

ZaraVP likes this

Today on the news is terrible flooding in Italy, seeing photos of Liverno, and Venice the cafe chairs and tables are floating, StMarks square, is awash I bet. Brits are on cruises to that area, must be devising not to mention the poor people living in the area

I just wonder what the cruise companies are going to do to help the islands get back on their feet, maybe a collective effort by all of them could really give much needed help and I'm sure it would reap rewards for all concerned in the future.

Janor, B&M, ZaraVP and 1 other like this

When you think about it, if all cruise lines donated a couple of percent of their profits it would soon help the islands get back on their feet if they can get the skills and equipment in place.

it does make me wonder what the itineraries will be for the Caribbean now as the schedules on line seem to be the same as before the hurricane hit.

ZaraVP likes this

We have a Caribbean cruise booked for Jan 18 and another for Feb 2019. We've had some truly wonderful cruises in that area and we were incredibly moved to see everything these wonderful people were going through. So we have donated to Virgin's appeal as 100% of the donation goes to helping  - Richard Branson and Virgin pay for all of the overheads. We hope our donation will help albeit in a very tiny way!

B&M, Janor, *Dancing Queen* and 1 other like this