weaver

hotels at southampton

As we've already booked and paid for parking for May, the parking-inclusive deals don't represent good value for us now.

We've just booked the Novotel in Southampton who had rooms at about £85 per night including breakfast (cheaper than my usual preferred Premier Inn West Quay) and I've used Novotel before who are excellent.

Not to mention using TopCashBack to get 10% cash back on hotel bookings through Hotels.com (ends today, normally cash back is around 5% I think), as well as earning a Hotels.com WelcomeReward (effectively giving 10% back towards a future stay) means I got a great deal!  And, of course, Hotels.com accept any credit card (including Amex) with no additional charges  ;)

If you're not using TopCashBack yet, you should!  I get cash back annually on car and home insurance as well as hotel booking and other travel arrangements.

We have used a few different hotels, Etap being the worst. We like Holiday Inn as it does stay and park, which we sometimes use if no free car parking available..

I believe Etap is a budget hotel that's part of the Accor group.

Other notable members of the Accor group in Southampton include Ibis (budget), and Novotel & Mercure (Midscale).  Interesting that Etap, Ibis and  Novotel all share the same site in Southampton!

We've used Premier Inn at Eastleigh, which has recently been refurbished. Extremely clean etc., Also we use Cruise Parking at Marchwood, and excellent service to the port by shuttle bus, at your preferred time.

We normally stay at the Grand Harbour but decided this year that we would give the Hilton a try as we felt that the Grand Harbour was starting to look at bit shabby.  The Hilton was fine if you just want a base to stay where as the Grand Harbour has a pool and steam and sauna facilities which I have to say we do make use of as we feel that this is the start of our holiday.  Both hotels are in walking distance of the shopping area.  The Hilton has a fab view over the harbour and you can watch the ships arrive (if you are up early enough) or like me watched it sail in then went back to bed.  There is a difference in the pricing structure but it is fair to say that you do get what you pay for (most of the time - anyway).  When we stay at the Grand Harbour we normally eat there in the evening and have the breakfast too but when we stayed in the Hilton we opted not to pay for breakfast, instead choosing to visit Costa coffee in the shopping centre and have a light breakfast there.  There are plenty of eateries in Southampton for an evening meal and when we stayed there in September at the Hilton we walked into the town at night and had a drink and a very nice meal.

We've always stayed at the Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue. It's not bad and has a gym and pool which younger family members used on the last visit. Best of all, if you ask for a room overlooking the Isle of Wight ferry terminal, you can sit in the window with binoculars and watch some fantastic ships coming and going.

The only thing that annoyed us back in June was that we were charged £7 per day for the car park which we thought was a cheek when we were paying a lot for a room. However, the barrier was up when we arrived recently and we weren't charged so not sure if that is a new thing or if the barrier is faulty.

The cheapest booking has always been through the Holiday Inn website, we check each time and have never found it for less through any cheapo booking agency.

Tip: We have stayed there when the Boat Show was on in September 2012, the rooms are more expensive and I believe we had to book for two nights but we got free entry to the show. If you cruise in September don't leave booking until the last minute or you may not get in.

We have always used The former De Vere Grand Harbour using their cruise package ,evening meal,breakfast and car parking.

We found it very good value and never had a problem.They provided taxi to the port on day of the cruise and picked us up to collect our car at the end of the cruise.

We have not used it since it changed ownership though but I understand they still offer same service.

It has a very convenient location .

We used to use the Holiday Inn but that looks very "tired". Now we use the Premier Inn at West Key. The price is half that of the Holiday Inn and we have always been pleased with the room. For the ladies it is right opposite Marks & Spencers and there are lots of places to eat nearby if you do not want to eat in the hotel. Of course The DeVere is best but that comes at a premium However I would recommend their afternoon teas. You do not have to be a resident to enjoy these.

Irene 

I'm going to throw a new name into the hat, The Pig in the Wall. It is opposite the Grand Harbour. It only has about 12 rooms.

I have no personal experience of it other than I have been told locally that this hotel is part of a new and exciting chain of "Pig" establishments.

If you are looking for something different why not check it out online?

Grand harbour formally owned by DeVere, is about to have a massive make over by the new owners. But there are some great deals to be had if you look on their web site. Dinner b&b ...etc, there is a good restaurant and good bar meals... A spa and indoor pool and steam, sauna which is free to use.good car parking and short walk to shops and water side. Plus a short drive in the morning..

Southwind's,

I do not know when you stayed at the Grand Harbour, correct it is having a massive make over, and boy does it need one,

We foolishly stayed their on the 26/11/13 for one night before joining Oriana, What a mistake,the carpets were threadbare in the room, outside the room was just the same the bedding was a disgrace dirty linen the bottom sheet on both bed's were the wrong size leaving the mattress showing, terrible place .Would not recommend to my worst enemy.Ron :angry:

I find the report on the Grand Harbour rather perplexing.My wife and I stayed prior to a cruise in June.After booking we read several poor reports on the web and allmost cancelled.We were pleased we did not.The staff and the hotel did us proud and the breakfast is one of the best we have had.

We were so pleased that when we went on the Queen Victoria in October we booked again.We believe this was another good decision.This time we used the cruise and stay facility,seemless is the only way to describe this service.When we checked out the operations manager intervieved us in the foyer and told us of all the improvements to be made.We intend to stay again next year.

Jaguar 01

I find the report on the Grand Harbour rather perplexing.My wife and I stayed prior to a cruise in June.After booking we read several poor reports on the web and allmost cancelled.We were pleased we did not.The staff and the hotel did us proud and the breakfast is one of the best we have had.

We were so pleased that when we went on the Queen Victoria in October we booked again.We believe this was another good decision.This time we used the cruise and stay facility,seemless is the only way to describe this service.When we checked out the operations manager intervieved us in the foyer and told us of all the improvements to be made.We intend to stay again next year.

Jaguar 01

jaguar01, glad you enjoyed your stay. But try a room on the second floor ie room 222 but becarful you don't trip over the frayed carpet near the lift !!

I completely agree with Tim. The Novotel is an excellent option in terms of location, value for money and car park. We've stayed there twice now, in May 2012 and June 2013 and would highly recommend it. Someone else recommended the Hilton. In our experience it is a very poor example of a Hilton and it's not at all convenient for the port. We would never stay there again!

I have yet to find any travel lodge that is spotless. I prefer Premier for a one/two night stay

I really don't know why anyone uses Travel Lodges more than once.  I stayed in one in York and would never use the chain again!

Torn bedding, mouldy bathroom, noisy room, uninspired staff.

Premier Inn negligibly more expensive and in a whole different league!

We have always used the Grand Harbour and have never had a problem with the room. We always book the cruise package--the full monty with lunch on the day before departure, champagne before dinner, dinner with wine etc etc, and I agree that "seamless" is a good assessment.We have even been upgraded to a suite, and enjoyed the facilities of that so much that we have booked it for our pre-cruise night in July(well, it is my Birthday!!)

Guest shilly3191

We use Travelodges on the way down to Southampton for every cruise we do never had a dirty room  or any complaints and never paid anymore than £25 for the room for 2 people and for a clean bed  and tea/coffee facilities cannot ask for more. Would never use a hotel /cruise package in Southampton and leave my car for the duration of the cruise in an unsecured car park with access from the public.

We have booked the Grand Harbour again for our cruise on Celebrity to the baltic in May.Again we have booked the car parking package,and am looking forward to the stay as well as the cruise.

Rodger.