Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tom Cruise

Further info on the new P&O Cruises ship

48 posts in this topic

Does anyone on here have any more details about the new P&O Cruises ship launching in 2020? I'm hoping this one is more like Royal Caribbean or NCL with more activity type facilities for families and children. I think it would be a great move for P&O and would allow them to compete with the more innovative cruise lines / ships.

Whitjaw likes this

Personally, I've no interest in floating Disney land type cruise ships. Even if my children were still young it wouldn't be the sort of holiday I'd choose. I've often wondered why people with children would choose this type of holiday as opposed to an actual land based Disney resort. I doubt it's for the destinations if they want the ship to be full of activities such as rock climbing and swimming pools with the facilities of a water park. It's a mystery to me perhaps someone could enlighten me. Perhaps it would be a good thing for P&O to go down that road but not for those of us who want an actual traditional type of cruise.

14 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Does anyone on here have any more details about the new P&O Cruises ship launching in 2020? I'm hoping this one is more like Royal Caribbean or NCL with more activity type facilities for families and children. I think it would be a great move for P&O and would allow them to compete with the more innovative cruise lines / ships.

I can imagine there will be some innovative features, but can't imagine P&O going down the RCI, NCL route, they are somewhat still quite a traditional cruiseline.

That said, tradition goes out of the window when it comes to certain things like "profit" and what I can be sure off is the additional cost restaurants and activities will be there in abundance as they are on Britannia and fast becoming fleet wide.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

Whilst P&O are saying that this will be a "new generation" cruise ship, I doubt it is going to have anything like climbing walls or zip wires.  RCI and NCL do 'lively' and 'fun' ships very well and it is too late for P&O to really compete directly with them.  I expect there will be some innovations on the new ship but don't expect anything too wild :) 

15 hours ago, Tally said:

Personally, I've no interest in floating Disney land type cruise ships. Even if my children were still young it wouldn't be the sort of holiday I'd choose. I've often wondered why people with children would choose this type of holiday as opposed to an actual land based Disney resort. I doubt it's for the destinations if they want the ship to be full of activities such as rock climbing and swimming pools with the facilities of a water park. It's a mystery to me perhaps someone could enlighten me. Perhaps it would be a good thing for P&O to go down that road but not for those of us who want an actual traditional type of cruise.

The leviathans with all the 'exciting attractions' were of course introduced by the USA-based cruise lines.  The fact that many Americans get bored within 5 minutes, whatever they are doing, might explain why they have these massive ships jam-packed full of rides/attractions and dozens of restaurants/cafes. 

Jenjen, Tally and HLM like this

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

The leviathans with all the 'exciting attractions' were of course introduced by the USA-based cruise lines.  The fact that many Americans get bored within 5 minutes, whatever they are doing, might explain why they have these massive ships jam-packed full of rides/attractions and dozens of restaurants/cafes. 

Been on many Princess cruises, owned by Carnival and a US based cruise line, they do not have ships full of "exciting attractions" and are very similar to P&Os ships and never seen American cruisers being any different than British cruisers and certainly not get bored within 5 minutes.

Furby likes this

17 hours ago, Tally said:

Not really talking Disney Tally. If I wanted to see Mickey Mouse I would, like you say, go to a Disney Land resort. For me a cruise holiday is 50% destination and 50% ship, and the more fun you can have on the ship the better. 

If you (not you personally) are the type of person who goes away to relax, sticking your kids in the kid's club all day, then it won't matter what facilities the ship has. If you go away to spend time with your family and like to get involved with the activities they want to do then I'm all for waterslides, waterparks, crazy golf etc. The more things for us to do as a family, the more fun we all have.

Plus, if you like P&O and you're not into this stuff then there's another 7 ships to choose from.

4 hours ago, HLM said:

I can imagine there will be some innovative features, but can't imagine P&O going down the RCI, NCL route, they are somewhat still quite a traditional cruiseline.

That said, tradition goes out of the window when it comes to certain things like "profit" and what I can be sure off is the additional cost restaurants and activities will be there in abundance as they are on Britannia and fast becoming fleet wide.

HLM.

I'm hoping they will have some actual innovations this time, rather than what they claimed to be innovations on Britannia. Although nice to have, I'd hardly call an Art Cookery School or the Market Café revolutionary. I hope they do go down the RCI, NCL route. If they did they would introduce a new style of ship to the fleet, which would allow them to cater for a wider percentage of the market.

Whilst P&O are saying that this will be a "new generation" cruise ship, I doubt it is going to have anything like climbing walls or zip wires.  RCI and NCL do 'lively' and 'fun' ships very well and it is too late for P&O to really compete directly with them.  I expect there will be some innovations on the new ship but don't expect anything too wild :) 

I would prefer to sail with P&O but I'm now looking at RCI and NCL as my kids want more to do. Maybe they should do it for their more family oriented customers, to stop them jumping ship.

Maybe I should have been American :lol:

24 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Been on many Princess cruises, owned by Carnival and a US based cruise line, they do not have ships full of "exciting attractions" and are very similar to P&Os ships and never seen American cruisers being any different than British cruisers and certainly not get bored within 5 minutes.

I wasn't really thinking about Princess here - more RCI and NCL.  As you say, Princess is much more akin to P&O.

23 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

I'm hoping they will have some actual innovations this time, rather than what they claimed to be innovations on Britannia. Although nice to have, I'd hardly call an Art Cookery School or the Market Café revolutionary. I hope they do go down the RCI, NCL route. If they did they would introduce a new style of ship to the fleet, which would allow them to cater for a wider percentage of the market.

I think that the issue here Tom is that virtually all the cruise lines choose a 'style' and stick to it.  By and large, each ship in a specific line has pretty much the same type of facility.  This is not 100% obviously as they all have different sizes of ships.  Every line does however seem to have its specific identity, which they don't stray too far from.

21 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

Maybe I should have been American :lol:

As with most things, it seems to be  making its way from the USA to the UK.  Too many people now seem incapable of just sitting and watching TV for instance - they also have to have their tablets and mobile phones to play with at the same time.

Tally likes this

42 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

Not really talking Disney Tally. If I wanted to see Mickey Mouse I would, like you say, go to a Disney Land resort. For me a cruise holiday is 50% destination and 50% ship, and the more fun you can have on the ship the better. 

If you (not you personally) are the type of person who goes away to relax, sticking your kids in the kid's club all day, then it won't matter what facilities the ship has. If you go away to spend time with your family and like to get involved with the activities they want to do then I'm all for waterslides, waterparks, crazy golf etc. The more things for us to do as a family, the more fun we all have.

Plus, if you like P&O and you're not into this stuff then there's another 7 ships to choose from.

Water parks, water slides, crazy golf and more are all the things we enjoyed with our children and can still be enjoyed today on dry land. The point I was making was why do they need to be enjoyed on a cruise ship?

The thought I’m afraid did cross my mind that some parents enjoy cruising, because they can sit in the sun all day while other people look after their children.

I’m afraid you’re wrong I haven’t 7 other ships to choose from, preferring only medium sized ships. So every new, humungous ship that gets built makes me worried they will disappear. There are plenty of cruise lines that would appeal to people who like more activities on a ship so why do P&O need to go down that route.

I wonder if you are still cruising when your children grow up and there are no more traditional type of cruise ships left whether you will regret their loss.

Jenjen likes this

18 minutes ago, Tally said:

Water parks, water slides, crazy golf and more are all the things we enjoyed with our children and can still be enjoyed today on dry land. The point I was making was why do they need to be enjoyed on a cruise ship?

The thought I’m afraid did cross my mind that some parents enjoy cruising, because they can sit in the sun all day while other people look after their children.

I’m afraid you’re wrong I haven’t 7 other ships to choose from, preferring only medium sized ships. So every new, humungous ship that gets built makes me worried they will disappear. There are plenty of cruise lines that would appeal to people who like more activities on a ship so why do P&O need to go down that route.

I wonder if you are still cruising when your children grow up and there are no more traditional type of cruise ships left whether you will regret their loss.

If P&O go down the 'floating resort' route, and I have no idea if they will, maybe they would be trying to attract a new generation of cruisers to their line with the hope that they begin cruising with their children then 'graduate' to the more traditional ships later.  If the new cruisers take their first cruises with RCI or NCL they may stay with them or other American lines.

Attracting new cruisers is the way to survival as existing passengers are aging.

Sheila

Furby likes this

1 hour ago, Tom Cruise said:

I'd hardly call an Art Cookery School or the Market Café revolutionary.

Nor would I Tom, but the crux of the matter is that they are chargeable and unfortunately here to stay, profit "rules the waves"

The likelihood is that by the time the new ship goes into service most things on board will be encounter an additional charge, I suspect within ten years the 'Easycruise' way of cruising will be well underway,  pay for your transit everything else you pay for 😳😏

I actually think we will be even be paying to watch the shows in the theatre soon, or putting coins in side slots to ride the dodgem cars etc on American lines. 🤑 Perish the thought.

HLM.

Jenjen and ron like this

I think that the issue here Tom is that virtually all the cruise lines choose a 'style' and stick to it.  By and large, each ship in a specific line has pretty much the same type of facility.  This is not 100% obviously as they all have different sizes of ships.  Every line does however seem to have its specific identity, which they don't stray too far from.

Maybe Andrew, but at some point both RCI and NCL would have only had traditional type ships in their fleet. Therefore at the point their first big ship was launched with slides, surfing machines etc, it would have been seen as a big change to the cruise line's style. I've only been cruising for eight years, so I'm no expert and not 100% sure on the history.

As with most things, it seems to be  making its way from the USA to the UK.  Too many people now seem incapable of just sitting and watching TV for instance - they also have to have their tablets and mobile phones to play with at the same time.

Tablets and mobile phones are only for when the adverts come on ;)

1 hour ago, Tally said:

Makes sense to enjoy them on the ship as you spend most of your time there. When we arrive in port we like to have a look around and make the most of the beach (when we can find one), not go for a game of crazy golf or visit the local water park. I wouldn't mind if we had visited the port several times before or if there was more time in port to do these activities as well.

Apologies, I wasn't suggesting you like all seven P&O ships but was just saying there is a good choice for people. People will stick to what they like, if P&O did build a ship like Anthem or Breakaway, then I don't think we would book a cruise on any of the other P&O ships.

While there is a market for traditional ships, cruise lines will make sure they can provide. They will do their research and will see where they are making and losing money. If it gets to a point where they were losing money then I expect they would remove them.

20 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

Adverts?  What are they?  I only seem to watch stuff I have recorded so fast-forward through the breaks :)

We have just spent 7 nights without sky plus, so have got used to the adverts!

1 hour ago, smtcan said:

If P&O go down the 'floating resort' route, and I have no idea if they will, maybe they would be trying to attract a new generation of cruisers to their line with the hope that they begin cruising with their children then 'graduate' to the more traditional ships later.  If the new cruisers take their first cruises with RCI or NCL they may stay with them or other American lines.

Attracting new cruisers is the way to survival as existing passengers are aging.

Sheila

Sounds like a good plan Sheila

28 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

We have just spent 7 nights without sky plus, so have got used to the adverts!

Whatever sky plus is, it sounds like you missed it whilst it was away... 

Maybe Andrew, but at some point both RCI and NCL would have only had traditional type ships in their fleet. Therefore at the point their first big ship was launched with slides, surfing machines etc, it would have been seen as a big change to the cruise line's style. I've only been cruising for eight years, so I'm no expert and not 100% sure on the history.

I have been ruminating on this for a little while.  You are indeed right that RCI & NCL were once (and not too many years ago) fairly traditional.  I think the difficulty for P&O is that these major changes have now all happened and as time goes forward, RCI & NCL will only be refining their project with fairly minor tweaks, rather than hugely significant new innovations.  The difficulty for P&O - if they were thinking of going in a totally new direction - would be of what they could come up with to make them different to the 'big boys' of cruising.  Also, in these days of 'corporateness' and globalisation, many consumers want to know what they are getting when they go into a branch of a chain - all major stores are basically the same wherever they are.  Consequently, if someone sailed on the new P&O ship, many of them might want the same on other P&O ships, which wouldn't happen.  It is a bit of a dilemma for P&O.  Carnival are obviously pushing them to take on bigger ships but I don't think P&O really know what they want to do with them.

Edited by afcandrew

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I have been ruminating on this for a little while.  You are indeed right that RCI & NCL were once (and not too many years ago) fairly traditional.  I think the difficulty for P&O is that these major changes have now all happened and as time goes forward, RCI & NCL will only be refining their project with fairly minor tweaks, rather than hugely significant new innovations.  The difficulty for P&O - if they were thinking of going in a totally new direction - would be of what they could come up with to make them different to the 'big boys' of cruising.  Also, in these days of 'corporateness' and globalisation, many consumers want to know what they are getting when they go into a branch of a chain - all major stores are basically the same wherever they are.  Consequently, if someone sailed on the new P&O ship, many of them might want the same on other P&O ships, which wouldn't happen.  It is a bit of a dilemma for P&O.  Carnival are obviously pushing them to take on bigger ships but I don't think P&O really know what they want to do with them.

This is where they actually have to be creative and bring something new to the industry. 

Maybe think about what Brits have enjoyed at the seaside for years, the traditional type stuff, fairground rides, amusements, the circus, punch and judy, food stalls, train rides, water slides, sand castles, maybe even some kind of artificial beach with a pool that young children can actually use and paddle in. 

The only reason British seaside resorts went downhill was because travelling abroad became more accessible and affordable, it was nothing to do with the type of activities available. Of course it would need to be classy, which I'm sure wouldn't be a issue for P&O, and all of the usual things you find on P&O, restaurants, bars etc could remain, which would tie the ship in with fleet.

P&O Cruises.. Taking the British seaside on the hunt for better weather!

:lol:

Furby and B&M like this