Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tom Cruise

Further info on the new P&O Cruises ship

48 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Tally said:

Water parks, water slides, crazy golf and more are all the things we enjoyed with our children and can still be enjoyed today on dry land. The point I was making was why do they need to be enjoyed on a cruise ship?

The thought I’m afraid did cross my mind that some parents enjoy cruising, because they can sit in the sun all day while other people look after their children.

I’m afraid you’re wrong I haven’t 7 other ships to choose from, preferring only medium sized ships. So every new, humungous ship that gets built makes me worried they will disappear. There are plenty of cruise lines that would appeal to people who like more activities on a ship so why do P&O need to go down that route.

I wonder if you are still cruising when your children grow up and there are no more traditional type of cruise ships left whether you will regret their loss.

What you fail to appreciate Tally is that P&O tries to offer cruising to everyone in the UK as it attempts to remain a viable part of the Carnival fleet.  That being so it needs to offer both traditional and modern cruising across its fleet as it tries to maintain its role in the UK.  To this end its needs a floating theme park to attract those passengers who prefer the lively feel of  RCCL and NCL and prevent them from jumping ship.

I don't believe this means the end of them offering traditional cruising and maybe the higher profits produced might enable them to order a new medium sized ship to please the traditionalists, that would be a win win.

Edited by towny44

P&O have to move with the times and offer something that will attract new and younger customers to fill a 5000+ ship on a regular basis. It would be impossible and downright financial suicide to fill it with the typical "P&O moaners" who want to just sit drinking free tea/coffee and not have to pay for speciality restaurants or anything as a matter of fact. Who go on a cruise to moan about everything possible with the aim of getting off the ship with a zero onboard account and spend all their time saying how good Canberra was even though they have forgotten that most cabins had no bathroom and they had to go down the corridor to a shared facility.

Furby likes this

3 hours ago, towny44 said:

What you fail to appreciate Tally is that P&O tries to offer cruising to everyone in the UK as it attempts to remain a viable part of the Carnival fleet.  That being so it needs to offer both traditional and modern cruising across its fleet as it tries to maintain its role in the UK.  To this end its needs a floating theme park to attract those passengers who prefer the lively feel of  RCCL and NCL and prevent them from jumping ship.

I don't believe this means the end of them offering traditional cruising and maybe the higher profits produced might enable them to order a new medium sized ship to please the traditionalists, that would be a win win.

I don’t fail to appreciate that at all Towny. What I do think is that they really can’t be ‘all things to all men’. I can’t help but think that eventually the smaller ships will be sacrificed to make way for ships which appeal to the new cruisers. I don’t believe they will build anymore smaller ships. They can make far more money with ships like Britannia with lots of cabins with minuscule balconies and plenty of venues for people to spend their money.

On 08/09/2017 at 0:26 PM, Tally said:

Edited by Tally

17 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

P&O have to move with the times and offer something that will attract new and younger customers to fill a 5000+ ship on a regular basis. It would be impossible and downright financial suicide to fill it with the typical "P&O moaners" who want to just sit drinking free tea/coffee and not have to pay for speciality restaurants or anything as a matter of fact. Who go on a cruise to moan about everything possible with the aim of getting off the ship with a zero onboard account and spend all their time saying how good Canberra was even though they have forgotten that most cabins had no bathroom and they had to go down the corridor to a shared facility.

On 08/09/2017 at 0:26 PM, Tally said:

I have no idea what is going on as I can't quote or write a post without other posts coming up too:rolleyes:

I agree with what you've said as we've witnessed that on our cruises. I can assure you none of it applies to us. We've only been cruising for 6 years and I can assure you we spend quite a bit on our cruises. We just like the smaller ships surely we can't be alone. I can see P&O's point of view it just doesn't suit me. As we don't want to fly anymore we are limited in our choices. Anyhow our next cruise is on the QE with Cunard. Perhaps Cunard will suit us more and P&O can cater for the new cruiser.

Jenjen likes this

1 hour ago, Tally said:

I have no idea what is going on as I can't quote or write a post without other posts coming up too:rolleyes:

I agree with what you've said as we've witnessed that on our cruises. I can assure you none of it applies to us. We've only been cruising for 6 years and I can assure you we spend quite a bit on our cruises. We just like the smaller ships surely we can't be alone. I can see P&O's point of view it just doesn't suit me. As we don't want to fly anymore we are limited in our choices. Anyhow our next cruise is on the QE with Cunard. Perhaps Cunard will suit us more and P&O can cater for the new cruiser.

Our next cruise is on QE and we now prefer to cruise with Cunard and Princess.

10 hours ago, Tally said:

Tally, As long as passengers are prepared to the premium prices that apply to Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia then I assume they will try to keep these refreshed, and I still believe they might build a new medium size ship to satisfy these aficionados.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:30 PM, Tom Cruise said:

This is where they actually have to be creative and bring something new to the industry. 

Maybe think about what Brits have enjoyed at the seaside for years, the traditional type stuff, fairground rides, amusements, the circus, punch and judy, food stalls, train rides, water slides, sand castles, maybe even some kind of artificial beach with a pool that young children can actually use and paddle in. 

The only reason British seaside resorts went downhill was because travelling abroad became more accessible and affordable, it was nothing to do with the type of activities available. Of course it would need to be classy, which I'm sure wouldn't be a issue for P&O, and all of the usual things you find on P&O, restaurants, bars etc could remain, which would tie the ship in with fleet.

P&O Cruises.. Taking the British seaside on the hunt for better weather!

:lol:

Certainly some good, creative thinking from you Tom.  Some of your ideas would be easy to incorporate, such as Punch & Judy, Food Stalls (fresh, hot donuts?) and a kids pool with artificial beach.  Things like train rides and funfair rides however take up a lot of space.  The problem with the large news ships is that they don't have significantly extra deck space as they tend to build up - i.e. more decks.

11 hours ago, towny44 said:

Tally, As long as passengers are prepared to the premium prices that apply to Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia then I assume they will try to keep these refreshed, and I still believe they might build a new medium size ship to satisfy these aficionados.

I agree that hopefully they will hold on to the likes of Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia for as long as possible Towny but I really don't think (sadly) that Carnival will sanction the building of any new ships of that size.  Even Aida Cruises - who have kept to smaller ships up to now - have two 180,000 tonne ships on order.  These are presumably the same template as the new P&O ship. 

On 9/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, afcandrew said:

Certainly some good, creative thinking from you Tom.  Some of your ideas would be easy to incorporate, such as Punch & Judy, Food Stalls (fresh, hot donuts?) and a kids pool with artificial beach.  Things like train rides and funfair rides however take up a lot of space.  The problem with the large news ships is that they don't have significantly extra deck space as they tend to build up - i.e. more decks.

How about a mini ferris wheel, helter skelter and waltzer? Oh and don't forget the claw machines and coin pushers in the amusements ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure P&O's design team could come up with something unique.

NCL and RCI don't struggle to pack this stuff in. I mean look at this thing, there's fun absolutely everywhere you look.. !!

1067-548ad508c0796b0910e27ea19827acd4.jpg

All depends on your own definition of 'fun' I guess.   This would be my worst nightmare - and I wouldn't go on her if it was free - but thankfully that is just my own prejudice and doesn't affect anyone else.   As I've said before though, I wouldn't go on P&O again if it was free either.  Luckily there are cruise lines out there that provide what all of us want; and for that I am grateful.

good job we are all different there different size ships for everyone but no doubt the traditional P&Oers will shout and moan the loudest whatever they build it will not please everybody that is an impossible task.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:10 PM, sinbad10 said:

good job we are all different there different size ships for everyone but no doubt the traditional P&Oers will shout and moan the loudest whatever they build it will not please everybody that is an impossible task.

Agreed.

On 9/14/2017 at 4:08 PM, cruise chef said:

On your thinking Tom we will be having the 1st beach at sea with Candy floss, sticks of rock, fish & chips shellfish stands, penny slots & cheesy postcards. Not liking the sound of it!

Some great ideas there Cruise Chef ;)

You see, that is why I said it would need to be classy. I'm not talking Cleethorpe's sea front, although some donkey rides around the promenade might go down well for those who have ate too much at dinner :lol:

On 9/13/2017 at 4:15 PM, Tom Cruise said:

... I mean look at this thing, there's fun absolutely everywhere you look.. !! ...

1067-548ad508c0796b0910e27ea19827acd4.jpg

I think I would need a blindfold and heavy duty ear defenders...  :D

Cruises are not for the family market days at sea, formal nights & land base coach tours are not a child's idea of a holiday. I enjoy child free holidays and historically find cruises provide this. Please don't let  a cruise ship become a holiday camp at sea.

I do not understand some of these comments. Surely cruising should be just that sailing on the sea not by the sea. Why are people trying to bring land activities to a ship? Having said that there is now a huge range of size ships to choose from, and there are adult only ones. For my wife and I something like the size of Azura and Venturer are quite big enough and for those seeking more "thrills" there are the super cruisers with the space needed. Each to his/her own I suppose.

I have just returned on Ventura after Good 14 days in the Med.

Being a Baltic member I took the opportunity at the loyalty lunch to ask the Captain the current progress of the new ship.

It is still on the drawing boards/computer/CAD. NO steel has been cut to-date and the keel has still not been fabricated prior to laying in the dry dock.

He did not divulge if the project was on programme to meet the launch date.

Having been fortunate to cruise on both P&O and RCI both have plus and minus points for me. RCI give good entertainment better than P&O in my opinion however that's as far as it goes. I enjoy the space in the public areas on P&O rather than the enclosed promenade on RCI.

So I am hoping that the new ship sticks to the traditional style but everyone should make there own choices that's what life's all about if your lucky enough.

I will continue to use both lines while I can but having to make a number one choice it would be P&O that could be due to my age .

We wanted to suggest "Europa" for the new name but whichever PC we used and after trying so many times we could not get the web page to accept the suggestion.

It ended with an A and would not take much paint up!;)

22 hours ago, Mr Badger said:

We wanted to suggest "Europa" for the new name but whichever PC we used and after trying so many times we could not get the web page to accept the suggestion.

It ended with an A and would not take much paint up!;)

There is already a cruise ship named Europa so the name is probably patented.