badmintongirl

ROOM SERVICE P&O

Just back from med trip on Adonia surprised to find a charge for all items on room service except breakfast. The 2016-2018march brochure states this is complimentary apart from a few items. Do you think it is right they can change it without notice? Does anyone know if Cunard are charging for all room service items? 

You can still get room service, some things are still at no extra cost, some things are at an extra charge, if you push the room service button on the telephone, they will tell if a change apples, when I asked about the menu I was told that they are all still being printed.

I did get emailed about charges being made, but the night time hot chochlate was still available at no extra charge, which we do have.

P & O make changes wherever they like especially when they bring out new edition brochures, and they don't always inform you of the changes, they did the dirty on us once and we'll never travel with them again

Daveyb you say there is no shortage of eating places but what if for various reasons like illness or as on our trip you have dreadful rough seas for 5 days and one elderly woman on her own felt unsafe walking around the ship it means you end up paying for your meals twice.  

These surcharges are disappointing as the surcharges on each item quickly add up and are, to my mind, intended as a deterrent.  I don't object to a one off charge per delivery - say £5 wouldn't be unreasonable, as the only real additional costs for P&O are the use of a member of staff to take the food to the room and the cooking process.  On our recent trip on Arcadia, getting hold of a room service menu was a bit of a battle, though one was eventually forthcoming.

Each to their own Mayway.  I have nothing against Fred Olsen and would happily cruise on them.  I do however feel the facilities and entertainment on P&O are much, much better than Fred.

Whilst I agree that it is frustrating such charges have now appeared on the room service menus with P&O, I had been expecting it for sometime. The majority of their fares are lower and late bookings have been of great popularity over the past few years since the rise of the 'Saver Fare'. 

If they're running the initial cost of the cruise lower then they need to recoup money elsewhere. Hence the need for subtle changes like this. It may impact some more than others but personally, I'm not one for using the room service menu much anyway. I'd much rather head out and about on board.

If I want room service I am more than happy to pay for it.  

As I said in the past if the service and standards were the same as a few years ago, the shipping companies would have increased the cost of the holiday making it too expensive for the majority of passengers. 

THE ONLY TIME I HAVE USED ROOM SERVICE HAS BEEN FOR BREAKFAST IF I AM GOING ON AN EARLY MORNING TRIP, AS IT DOES SAVE A LOT OF TIME.   GOING ON AURORA NEXT SUNDAY 29TH SO WILL NOTE ANY CHANGES. ALSO GOING ON MY FIRST PRINCESS CRUISE IN JANUARY, NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO EVERYTHING PRICED IN DOLLARS BUT I AM TOLD PRINCESS BETTER THAN P&O SO WE SHALL SEE !

On my recent US & Canada trip on Arcadia, I started getting breakfast delivered to my cabin after a few days of table hunting in the buffet - great idea & free. I also took my lunch back to the cabin on a couple of occasions. I do agree that it's dreadful to see the half eaten food littering the corridors but believe me - my plates were empty!!! It amazed me to see the plates of canapés that were left outside the "posh cabins" in the mornings! What a waste!

Can never understand why people join the bun fight of trying to find a table in the buffet at breakfast/lunch and then have to go and serve themselves and by the time you get back to your table it is cold. Much more relaxed and refined to have breakfast/lunch in MDR where you are guaranteed a table and have it served by a waiter.

Maud, why the buffet?  It's hell on earth by comparison with the breakfasts in the MDR!  As for the  canapés, there are two reasons (from personal experience):

1  Too much food to eat, and rarely hungry enough

2  They really aren't particularly nice  canapés  anyway

3 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Can never understand why people join the bun fight of trying to find a table in the buffet at breakfast/lunch and then have to go and serve themselves and by the time you get back to your table it is cold. Much more relaxed and refined to have breakfast/lunch in MDR where you are guaranteed a table and have it served by a waiter.

I would get pretty bored of going to the mdr three times a day Sinbad.  I will not go near the buffet for breakfast in the first 2 - 3 days of a cruise because no-one knows where anything is and that adds to the general level of chaos.  After that, I will normally mix and match between the buffet & the mdr at breakfast time, probably eating more often in the mdr.  More often than not I do use the buffet for lunch though.  On P&O I find the mdr lunch a bit uninteresting, with more choices seemingly designed for maturer pax - quite light/soft dishes.