Sign in to follow this  
mitch

Arcadia J717 carribean 7 -31st october 2017

well its really odd.

woken a couple of times in the night by the movement.

moving around the ship is quite tricky and sickbag holders have appeared on various hand rails just to make you feel better.

yet the rear pool deck is quite sheltered and although the wind is force 6 most of the rear deck not so much as a breeze.

the sun is out and its good sunbathing up there.

but if you sit and look out so you line up the top rail with the horizon you can see why its so difficult moving around.

from the horizon the rail goes a good 3 or 4 feet above the horizon and then 3 or 4 feet below so its quite a shift.

but not violently so its quite a sedate change but very noticable if your trying to walk around.

1 hour ago, Master at Arms said:

now the weather is closing in are there any mis-behavers caning the bars and singing the odd sea shanty. im guessing the Jamaican rum is being broken out in earnest ?....you'd better show em how its done mitch..

Ha Ha M of A this is Arcadia there won't be many caning the bars or bursting into song :rolleyes:  mind you I'm sure Mitch will be doing his best to liven a few up ;)

I think dancing queen has a valid point Mitch...I guess there won't be many singing sea shanties or rugger songs....although if there are any welshies aboard they will be vibrating the vocal chords...they just can't help emselves...lol....what ever age they are. Be good to get a flavour of what nighttime brings to the ship....are people in the bars etc quite chatty and friendly...? I know it's silly to worry, but I'm just adjusting to travelling alone. I lost a couple of pals a while back, we used to go together, but there are only two of us left and the other mate isn't able to travel right now...so it's on me jack or languish at home....

hey 'D Q'....is it best to go...on say....an adult ship....or one with a less mature feel ? Remember I am a legless....and I feel a younger group may be less accepting...?

M at A ... I have only ever been on one 'adult only' ship which just happens to have been Arcadia and I really disliked it, it wasn't my first choice but it happened to be the only ship going to where we wanted to go at the time so I went with an open mind, from a personal point of view I do think family ships offer a lot more and certainly bring the age demographics down, having said that I am no spring chicken but neither am I ready for the 'retirement home' scenario which sadly is how I found it .. others of course will disagree with me !! 

Sorry I don't really understand your last sentence .. are you saying you are in a wheelchair ?? if so rest assured a younger age group will be no less accepting and tbh it saddens me you might think this it isn't something I have ever witnessed,  miserable people come in all age groups but fortunately they are easily avoided and there are always lots of 'fun people' on board.

If you are looking at P&O ships I would recommend Aurora which is a lovely friendly mid size ship and whilst a family ship will not be over run with 'little darlings' ;)  don't get me wrong I like children and I love to see them enjoying themselves I just wouldn't want to be on a ship like Royal Caribbean who cater for them en masse. 

D-Q....I think from reading Mitch's posts and now yours...I will definitely think about maybe going for the family type ship like the Aurora. I am also no spring chicken 55 and until fairly recently I did enjoy the benefits of a party atmosphere...albeit an over 45 demographic...but still a party is a  party....lol.

yeah my sentence about my physicality.....I explained in earlier message, I have a prosthetic leg, which is fairly recent addition...which was difficult to accept first of all. I have accepted it now but I feel somewhat conscious in situations with new people...and generally I feel more at ease with the more mature set...50ish. A lot of younger lads at the club can tend to stare sometimes..

anyway Mitch....how's that rocking and rolling going.....any pics...lol

Ahhh sorry I must have missed your earlier post but good for you that you accept yourself, it's easy to say you shouldn't be self conscious but unfortunately there are some ignorant people around who think it is ok to stare although I'm sure they don't mean to.

Get yourself a cruise booked I'm sure you will love it.

Mitch. How was your evening ? Much going on ? Did you cut some shapes on the dance floor ? If D-Q and myself had been there with you we could have shown the pink rinse brigade our best moves...lol. You with ya knees, me and one good leg both being led around the floor by the Queen of Party...lol.

Is there a dance floor anywhere btw.....? be interesting to see an example of the evening scene......or is it all dominos, Bridge, and Backgammon ?  

the captain has taken a massive detour,moved a lot closer to madiera and europe and hes been up around 20 knots the whole time.

hes avoided the worst of the stormy seas etc. and as i said yest it was wierd the ship was moving a lot but there was bright sunshine and the rear deck very sheltered from the wind. just got up and theres def still a lot of movement so will be interesting to see what the weathers doing at breakfast.

2torts....a wooden sprung dance floor lol. I wasn't a great dancer years ago, but unlike fine wine, my dancing hasn't got any better with age...lol ! I like the name of the dance venue tho..... Harlequins ! I suppose if I could scrum down with a competent lady dance partner I might be ok.....:wacko:

I don't know my left foot from my right on a dance floor. Did learn to dance at school many many years ago but it was an all girls school and I danced the mans part. My OH didn't learn at all & wont try ( not even disco type stuff) so it's been many a long year since I was on the dance floor. 

given the age demographic on here wheelchair synchronised dancing would be more the order of the day.

those that are disabled versus the too fat to walk (or just cant be bothered) not pc i know but hay.

weather report lots more white horses slightly more violent movement rather than long slow swell.

So me dancing like Forrest Gump in his Callipers would elevate me to disco King on the Arcadia ?...lol. Sign me up !

I guess you will have to find yourself a spot on that sheltered deck Mitch and catch some rays. Keep that bar tender on his toes as well.... 

It sounds to me as if M of A and Mitch should meet up and if they get on well book the same cruise hee hee that would probably mean 'double trouble' and double the fun.

Thanks PP I was going to mention the guy on Strictly but I couldn't remember his name .. he's amazing isn't he.

I think master you need some encouragement to book, it does not matter Adult only or family ship, you get all sorts of people age does not matter intolerant people come in all ages, as does rude.

you find such a mixed bunch on cruises you will find some you can gel with some you can't it's like that for all.

bite the bullet, book something that tickles your fancy, and look forward to it, and stand no nonsense from anybody that gets up your nose, enough of the people on this forum would give you moral support, have fun

Bite the bullet M of A and get that cruise booked.  My partner of 26 years died in 2012 and I have been on 4 cruises solo since then.  It is a great way to travel.  Generally speaking, longer cruises and cruises to cooler climates attract a higher age demographic.  Having said that however, many older people are fun and lively.  Most of the time on P&O, there is a hosted coffee meet about 10.00am every sea day and an unhosted meet on port days.  These are good for meeting other solo pax who you might want to pal up with to go ashore or for a drink in the evening.  Also, you are often seated on a dinner table with other solo pax.  You can always ask for that when booking to make sure.  I have also cruised with a friend too but really enjoy my solo cruises.  Aurora would be a great ship for you first solo sailing.