Bumble Bee

Balcony or no balcony?

Hi Everyone,

We plan on doing a Norwegian Fjords Cruise about May time next year. My question is, is a balcony recommended for the Fjords? Is it worth the extra cost? Did you use your balcony much? Looking at Britannia so no outside cabins. Thank you

I would always have a balcony for the Fjords as the scenery is just beautiful, of course you can always go into the public rooms or out on deck ( weather permitting ) but it really depends on how much time you would normally spend in your cabin, it is unlikely in May the weather would be good enough to spend a lot of time on your balcony (not impossible though) I've been to the Fjords in June and had wonderful weather  I've been in August and it's been freezing so it's really the choice of deciding how a balcony would work for you and would you be disappointed if it wasn't warm enough to sit out. 

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Thank you Dancing Queen. I think we will keep an eye on the pricing and maybe go for a balcony. I know the weather can't be promised in the Fjords but probably would be nice to have the option of using the balcony than be on board and wish we'd booked a balcony.

I cruised on Britannia to the fjords last year and had a balcony cabin right on the rear of the ship and so had a view of both sides oif the fjords as we sailed through them - well worth the money!!

Also, the cabins are between two suites and so the balcony is much larger than normal :-)

Edited by Sir Cumference
added information

14 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

I cruised on Britannia to the fjords last year and had a balcony cabin right on the rear of the ship and so had a view of both sides oif the fjords as we sailed through them - well worth the money!!

Also, the cabins are between two suites and so the balcony is much larger than normal :-)

Oh thanks for the advice! That sounds like the perfect balcony! What month did you go in?

Hi,

We did the Northern Lights cruise on Oriana at the end of Feb 2016. We had a midship balcony cabin and would not have done it any other way. We lost count of the number of times in a morning or some other time we were in the cabin when one of us would shout 'come and look at this!' And we would dive on to balcony to see something beautiful. Many a time I'd be in my nighty with my big coat on! Those are things you would miss not having a balcony. 

The plus point of midship is should the sea get a bit choppy you don't get so much movement. We were very lucky, even the Captain said he had never seen the North Sea that calm. 

Go on, treat yourself. 

12 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Hi,

We did the Northern Lights cruise on Oriana at the end of Feb 2016. We had a midship balcony cabin and would not have done it any other way. We lost count of the number of times in a morning or some other time we were in the cabin when one of us would shout 'come and look at this!' And we would dive on to balcony to see something beautiful. Many a time I'd be in my nighty with my big coat on! Those are things you would miss not having a balcony. 

The plus point of midship is should the sea get a bit choppy you don't get so much movement. We were very lucky, even the Captain said he had never seen the North Sea that calm. 

Go on, treat yourself. 

Thank you for the info. We're certianly swaying towards the balcony. I would love to do the cruise you did. The northern light are on my bucket list. We've just go to pick which cruise we want to do now. and weather to go as early as april/may or wait till may/june.

Go for an inside every time and get up on deck and enjoy all aspects of the scenery with a drink with the money you will save not having a very small balcony on Britannia. My advice for Norwegian Fjords is to go in June lovely month if you go too early it will be cold and you could be unlucky with the weather and have lots of rain.

24 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Go for an inside every time and get up on deck and enjoy all aspects of the scenery with a drink with the money you will save not having a very small balcony on Britannia. My advice for Norwegian Fjords is to go in June lovely month if you go too early it will be cold and you could be unlucky with the weather and have lots of rain.

Fab thank you! I think we will see the price difference from inside to balcony and see how much it is. Really looking forward to it

The fjords are beautiful and you will see them in a different way in the summertime to when it's  looking like a film set for Game of Thrones. Of course though the lights are a seasonal phenomenon and are not guaranteed to show up. We were lucky and saw them in force but the next night the people who went on the trip had thick cloud and saw nothing. 

We really went to see the lights as it was on the bucket list but we had to tell ourselves that we couldn't just make the cruise all about that as it would have been a lot of money for a disappointment had we not seen them. Norway is beautiful, very clean and very expensive but we would go back in the summer and hope to see the waterfalls that were literally frozen in time in full flow. 

You will love it but you do need to be fully kitted out with Arctic appropriate clothing if you go in winter. 

Edited by GiGi

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

The fjords are beautiful and you will see them in a different way in the summertime to when it's  looking like a film set for Game of Thrones. Of course though the lights are a seasonal phenomenon and are not guaranteed to show up. We were lucky and saw them in force but the next night the people who went on the trip had thick cloud and saw nothing. 

We really went to see the lights as it was on the bucket list but we had to tell ourselves that we couldn't just make the cruise all about that as it would have been a lot of money for a disappointment had we not seen them. Norway is beautiful, very clean and very expensive but we would go back in the summer and hope to see the waterfalls that were literally frozen in time in full flow. 

You will love it but you do need to be fully kitted out with Arctic appropriate clothing if you go in winter. 

I would love to do that cruise but I think this time it will be the 1 week Fjords cruise, so hopefully the weather wont be as harsh.

We do prefer to have a balcony. Love to get up in the morning and watch the ship dock. We visited the Fjords last year in late May, had beautiful weather and the balcony was well worth the extra cost as the scenery is beautiful and to sit on the balcony late into the evening before going to bed with the sun just setting is something special. 

If you are a keen photographer, go for the balcony.

You see so many picture opportunities at all times of the day, and rather than race upstairs to an open deck, you simply slide back the door and shoot.

Having said that, I was up on the top deck soon after sunrise as you have 360 degree views, and the light is wonderful either early or late in the day.

Enjoy!

Each to his own, but for us a balcony absolutely makes the cruise, and if we can find a suite at a reasonable price that's even better.  Trouble is, once you've tried a suite you're reluctant to go back, and that certainly applies to a balcony.

We all have different needs, though, and if you spend little time in your cabin it may not matter too much.  We spend quite a bit of time there, and it's good to have somewhere really nice to relax.

Three years ago we Went in mid-May and had a balcony cabin. As soon as we woke we opened the curtains and watched the scenery glide past as we lay in bed. Beautiful. There was still snow on the tops at Gerangerfjord but down below lovely sunshine.  Our previous trip to fjords was late June/early July. It rained for 7 out of the 9 days!  You just have to trust to luck. 

Personally I would never cruise without a balcony and will do as long as I can afford to. Sadly as a so,o passenger I end up paying double the price of anyone else!  However, it's so lovey to have that extra space and sit with a g and t at the end of the day., also to get early and watch the sail into port.... Balcony every time!

I wouldn't bother with a balcony on the Brittania, the balconies are miniscule, with only just enough room for two chairs, but then we weren't impressed with Brittania at all: souless and totally lacking in "wow factor".

We are not long back from the Fjords on Arcadia (September) and found the balcony to be well worth the extra.  The weather didn't really permit extensive opportunities for sitting out but being able to watch the scenery in the mornings and evenings made it worthwhile (especially with a G&T in hand).  Only problem we had was someone on the adjacent balcony having a cigarette now and again, despite the clear warnings not to do so during the emergency drill.