Tom Cruise

P&O Cruises have sold Adonia!

56 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

It does make you wonder if Azamara can make it pay and see it as a viable concern why P&O couldnt!!

Because Azamara is in a different market than P&O and if P&O offered the same product at the same price it would not sell

3 hours ago, cruise chef said:

It does make you wonder if Azamara can make it pay and see it as a viable concern why P&O couldnt!!

Azamara are in a different league to P&O. Small boutique ships offering all inclusive quality. Their cruises sell out time after time and they need the extra capacity.  Azamara Pursuit will be a resounding success like her sisters Quest and Journey. They take delivery in March 2018. 

16 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Azamara are in a different league to P&O. Small boutique ships offering all inclusive quality. Their cruises sell out time after time and they need the extra capacity.  Azamara Pursuit will be a resounding success like her sisters Quest and Journey. They take delivery in March 2018. 

Hi  I totally agree with your comments.   Unlike P&O do not target their cruises for the British market but they are aimed at the more the international market (particularly USA passengers) who wish to have a more exclusive cruise experience.   I am sure that the venture will be successful and that the Azamara Pursuit will be just as popular as their other two ships.  Most ships these days cater for the "pile them high, sell them cheap market" but there is a niche market for those who wish to have a more sophisticated vacation.

All great comments and I would agree, Like you OWT, I have travelled on some of the smaller lines which can offer amazing service & food even though they don't cater for the mass market. I also wonder if the decision to offer so many cheap voyages in the return 2017 calendar has also contributed to the demise. Maybe small ships for the British mass market who want cheaper just doesnt work at all!

On 9/26/2017 at 2:21 PM, Rikki said:

I'm booked on the Adonia in April. Will have to wait and see what they have to say.

You'd have thought they would have honoured the cruises they had bookings for before selling her.

You'd have thought so, especially as they have already taken her away once!

On 9/26/2017 at 2:36 PM, sinbad10 said:

Because Azamara is in a different market than P&O and if P&O offered the same product at the same price it would not sell

On 9/26/2017 at 5:49 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Agree!

My cruise has been cancelled and I wonder who is going to pay for my already booked, and paid for, hotel!

Looking round the only choice I now have, for the itinery, is with Fred O so P&O had better watch out as they may well find I enjoy these ships so much I decide not to book again with them. Talk of shooting yourself in the foot! 

The current Ryanair cancelled bookings chaos and the intervention of the 'regulators', brings into question the degree of protection afforded to cruisers who have made reservations. The continuing growth in UK citizens taking cruise holidays seems to require similar protection to that won by those traveling by air. 

I am but a frequent cruiser, four times on the Adonia, not a lawyer. Suggest those of you who are members of WHICH? contact them and ask for guidance. I notice that USofA cruisers seem to get better compensation for cruise lines' malfunctions than GBR based lines offer.

48 cruises, 20 ships. 

On 26/09/2017 at 1:37 PM, cruise chef said:

The same principle applies to Oceania Cruises.  However, Oceania and Azamara cater for an entirely different market sector - and their cruises are much more expensive than P&O.  That is why they are probably viable. 

Originally, there were eight, virtually identical, "R Class" ships, built for the former Renaissance Cruise Line.  Having purchased Ocean Princess from Princess Cruises last year, Oceania Cruises (part of the NCL Group) operate four of these ships.  Princess have retained Pacific Princess, but as both Princess and P&O are owned by Carnival, I fear she might not survive for long.

Azamara include much more in their cruise fares.  Having enjoyed four cruises with them, I believe they provide reasonably good value.  Oceania's fares are particularly eye watering, so I doubt whether the majority of P&O customers would be prepared to pay so much.  Although I am not a fan of P&O, I have never sailed with Oceania.

Edited by BobTroll

We were booked for next May so our cruise has been cancelled. As yet we can't find an alternative as all the other cruises I was picking from when we did book are way more expensive now, way more than the £100 compensation offer.

Sounds as if P&O are still not listening to their customers. As for getting rid of small ships first Artemis and now Adonia! People will just vote with their feet like we did and go elsewhere.