ron

P&o Tirade

Hi All,

Having spent quite a time reading most topic's on the Forum, one thing has become quite apparent, The number of people who rant  about P&O is this because they are the most popular ? or is it because it is run from Britain, typical of the British public so long as it is not British it must be better,people seem to have allsorts of regular complaint's about P&O but still use them!!! wonder why? sorry to go on a bit but it annoy's me to hear people knocking thing's from this country Ron :angry:

P&O are no longer the Great British cruise company they used to be. Many people remember them as they were and feel todays cruising is going down hill.

New cruisers are a different breed of people and they want different things. P&O try to be all things to all people. They have lost the game plan. Their glory days are well gone and they need to decide how they want to go. I think they will go for mass market, dumbing down, mass market clients. 

They have downgraded their image, but that is fine by me. I just don't use them  now a days as there are better companies around. Shop around and vote with your feet.

P&O are no longer the Great British cruise company they used to be. Many people remember them as they were and feel todays cruising is going down hill.

New cruisers are a different breed of people and they want different things. P&O try to be all things to all people. They have lost the game plan. Their glory days are well gone and they need to decide how they want to go. I think they will go for mass market, dumbing down, mass market clients. 

They have downgraded their image, but that is fine by me. I just don't use them  now a days as there are better companies around. Shop around and vote with your feet.

Do not quite understand Don't most of the big cruise companies go for the MASS market and that's why they are building Bigger ship's, if you do not like the Mass market as you well know there are the more select companies.But not everybody can afford these, so why not leave P&O alone most people try cruising for the first time with something more affordable, time's have changed we are not in the 1920's when only the well off could go cruising.

I think you hear more from the P&O moaners because P&O have six ships sailing out of Southampton thus nearly all passengers are Brits. This means that P&O have many more Brits sailing with them than any other cruise line. Probably more Brits sail with P&O than all the other cruise lines put together. Even Cunard don't fill their ships with Brits but P&O do. The result is that there are more Brits who like to moan for the sake of it on P&O just because they carry more Brits than anyone else.

cheers

Harvey

I have met a few moaners onboard P&O ships but very few considering the number of passengers on the ship.  Reading some of the cruise sites it would make you wonder if there were any happy cruisers.  Look at P&O's Facebook page, it's absolutely full of moaners.  I think it's an occupation for some people.  We have never had occasion to moan.  We were on a three week cruise on Azura last March, sailing around and then back to Southampton from the Caribbean.  On the first night when it was open dining to allow passengers arriving on planes at different times we were sat on a table for 8.  There was an older couple sat opposite us and the man suddenly said "Don't like Azura, she's much too big, don't like it at all!"  His wife agreed.  I wanted to ask, "Well what are you doing on a three week cruise on a ship you don't like?"  Couldn't believe it.  People just like moaning.

Well we have our 13th cruise coming up with P&O and we love it - everything about it.  For first time cruisers it must be difficult when they read about all these people saying how dreadful it is.

Similar to you Annieuk - first night onboard at dinner this lady, first time cruiser, said that she wasn't going to like it and glad that she had brought a lot of DVDs to watch. And this during the first course!!!! She took out a newspaper to read between the first and second courses!!!

As you quite rightly say - some people just like moaning.

cheers

Harvey

Guest shilly3191

Do not quite understand Don't most of the big cruise companies go for the MASS market and that's why they are building Bigger ship's, if you do not like the Mass market as you well know there are the more select companies.But not everybody can afford these, so why not leave P&O alone most people try cruising for the first time with something more affordable, time's have changed we are not in the 1920's when only the well off could go cruising.

There are cruise companies out there who aim for the mass market Celebrity, RCCL who mainly aim cosmopolitan and Princess who mainly American but you will find that these cost no more money to cruise with than P&O and as far as Princess are far superior.

P&O who are part of the Carnival Group are most certainly going for the mass market with their new ship Britannia flying the Bermuda Flag in 2015 with a passenger capacity of 3,116 and some 145,000 tons.....As far as the moaners are concerned, I think it's just part of the British psyche some of us are unhappy unless we are moaning, and that's why the Aussies call us whinging Poms.  I think it may be something to do with our environment as the weather is so fickle, Thats why so many of us go cruising to escape it.

P&O are stuck between a rock and a hard place passengers want the very best of everything but they don't want to pay a fortune, Passengers want more and more balconies more places to eat more bars more pools but then they moan when the ships get larger.

I agree about the P&O Facebook page as yesterday it was the largest moan fest I had seen but it is no good saying I had an awful time moan about it but never say what the moan is about.

P&O may not always get things right but at the prices they are charging at the moment they are flipping good value.

P&O are stuck between a rock and a hard place passengers want the very best of everything but they don't want to pay a fortune, Passengers want more and more balconies more places to eat more bars more pools but then they moan when the ships get larger.

I agree about the P&O Facebook page as yesterday it was the largest moan fest I had seen but it is no good saying I had an awful time moan about it but never say what the moan is about.

P&O may not always get things right but at the prices they are charging at the moment they are flipping good value.

Jaczs,

Thank's for that spot on ;)  Ron

I couldnt agree more with ron and jaczs on this.  I've cruised a lot with P&O over the years and can honestly say have never had a bad cruise.  I mentioned recently on this forum that the only time I was a little bit dissapointed was on board Ventura but that was nothing to do with P&O or by no means their fault, it was just my preferences of a mid-size ship. 

I constantly see people going on about how P&O are not the company they once were, well if we're being honest, it's a good job thier not because if they were they probably wouldnt exist anymore due to the huge rise in rivarly from other cruise lines.  All they have done is do what they must in order to compete.  Jaczs couldnt have said it better, people always want more but dont want to pay over the odds so when P&O provide more but still offer good value, they still moan.  It seems for some people there is nothing to do but pick fault instead of seeing the positives.  According to many they "may not be what they used to be" but for me they are still an excellent cruise company that retain a real British feel about them, provide great service, good food and above all memorable holidays for the right reasons. 

I once again agree with jaczs that they may not be perect and they may not get everything spot on but give them a break their hardly doing a bad job.  The ships have all been refreshed recently and they are building the Britannia for 2015.  That will mean that in their ranks they'll cater for lovers of superliners, mid-size and smaller ships, something I dont think another cruise line really comes close to doing.  They are also one of the very few cruise lines that cater for both families and adult only preferences.  Three ships in the fleet now operate solely for adults and the rest are family friendly plus I see a lot of people complaining about there being barely any opportunities for single passengers but thats another thing P&O do well with single cabins being introduced more and more. 

Personally I dont know what more they could be doing.  People cant understand what they call "cuts in standards" well we're in an economy full of people having to make changes to their lives due to current climate so why do people assume companies such as P&O are immune to this.  Considering the changes other cruise lines have been forced to make I'd say P&O have done a pretty good job of catering for their passengers needs.

I couldnt agree more with ron and jaczs on this.  I've cruised a lot with P&O over the years and can honestly say have never had a bad cruise.  I mentioned recently on this forum that the only time I was a little bit dissapointed was on board Ventura but that was nothing to do with P&O or by no means their fault, it was just my preferences of a mid-size ship. 

I constantly see people going on about how P&O are not the company they once were, well if we're being honest, it's a good job thier not because if they were they probably wouldnt exist anymore due to the huge rise in rivarly from other cruise lines.  All they have done is do what they must in order to compete.  Jaczs couldnt have said it better, people always want more but dont want to pay over the odds so when P&O provide more but still offer good value, they still moan.  It seems for some people there is nothing to do but pick fault instead of seeing the positives.  According to many they "may not be what they used to be" but for me they are still an excellent cruise company that retain a real British feel about them, provide great service, good food and above all memorable holidays for the right reasons. 

I once again agree with jaczs that they may not be perect and they may not get everything spot on but give them a break their hardly doing a bad job.  The ships have all been refreshed recently and they are building the Britannia for 2015.  That will mean that in their ranks they'll cater for lovers of superliners, mid-size and smaller ships, something I dont think another cruise line really comes close to doing.  They are also one of the very few cruise lines that cater for both families and adult only preferences.  Three ships in the fleet now operate solely for adults and the rest are family friendly plus I see a lot of people complaining about there being barely any opportunities for single passengers but thats another thing P&O do well with single cabins being introduced more and more. 

Personally I dont know what more they could be doing.  People cant understand what they call "cuts in standards" well we're in an economy full of people having to make changes to their lives due to current climate so why do people assume companies such as P&O are immune to this.  Considering the changes other cruise lines have been forced to make I'd say P&O have done a pretty good job of catering for their passengers needs.

Sammysun,

Thank's for a sensible reply,at least there are three of us that are on the same wavelength,and I thought it was just me seeing thing's.

I've just had bad luck with P&O - only been on them twice on the Oriana and alas, both cruises were hit heavily by the norovirus.  I knew about it before going on my very first cruise so wasn't a dumb newbie and it was all fine.  The second cruise however was a different thing entirely and I won't go into that as I think most of the papers did a job of that - fortunately I did not get ill.  But that aside like others say for the price of a Getaway P&O are great.  The problem appears to be that they are still promoting a luxury five star type experience in their adverts and that will get them complaints, especially from first time cruisers who book Vantage not being aware of what they will actually be getting which is a good basic cruise where the food is reasonable but not great and weather permitting a good holiday.

I do get fed up of people moaning about paying Vantage and getting "done".  It crops up every few weeks or so in abundance but way I see it, you research before buying or lump it whether fair or not!

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences Caroline, I have never experienced it myself but some of my family were on board a Regent cruise when it was hit with norovirus and they to did not have the best of times. 

I completely agree with you about the whole vantage fare issue.  Before I book any holiday, whether its a cruise or landbased I will always do my homework and find out what's best for my wife and I.  It does irritate me these continuous complaints over people feeling "done" as you say.  It's not just P&O that do it now either as I see Fred Olsen are doing a similar thing now and calling them anchor fares.  It's very transparent for holidaymakers to see, you have two options, the vantage or wait for the getaway, simply choose which you prefer and feel you are best suited to and then move on.  I don't see all the need for tireless complaints when it is made so clear.

Can't agree more with a lot of these comments. Have tried another cruise line, Princess, bit it's not for me. As to fares etc - a Captain once said in answer to the costs rising and 'extras' getting fewer - "you get what you pay for" which I think sums it up

I love P&O.

We are at the younger end of the cruise market and it suits our family requirements to a tee. The children love the clubs and we love the variety of peace, ports and generally excellent food.

I do find it hilarious when seated with the 'we are on our 39th cruise' brigade whinging to high heaven. If it is that bad.....don't go.

We love P&O too. Never cruised with any one else and not likely to. We are happy with what we get for our money and their ships suit us. Whilst Vantage and Getaway fares rankle us a bit we still book early because we want to.

As for moaners, well there's no doubt about it, some are professionals! Never happy unless they moan. We stay clear of them. Same with the "we've done so many cruises" brigade. The way to shut 'em up is to say you do a world cruise every year!

We love P&O too. Our kids have virtually grown up on board P&O's ships, we've always had a blast. I can't honestly believe some of the complaints I hear, I wouldn't mind betting the crew keep a book of funniest complaints that would make us all roll around laughing :)

Sammysun,

Thank's for a sensible reply,at least there are three of us that are on the same wavelength,and I thought it was just me seeing thing's.

Mrng ron

You can make that four on the same wavelength. (I also know a few others who are tuned into the same wavelength.) I've sailed with P&O many times and also never had a bad cruise. (I've also sailed with other cruise lines so not solely P&O.)

cheers

Harvey

It's amazing how many people at breakfast will be moaning about the ship and then in the next breath announce what cruises they plan to do on it next!

A cruise or any holiday is what you make it. Things happen, things go wrong. I refuse to let any disappointments (within reason of course) ruin my precious time on board.

Gill

My best and worst cruises have been with P&O, My theory is if the ship has a good captain who believes all the passengers are customers( who pay their wages) and passes this down the line. The captain and officers are a presence round the ship, everything runs smoother and there is little to moan about. We had our worst ever cruise on the Arcadia but had already booked a second cruise on her for a few months later. The second cruise was excellent- the only difference was the Captain.  Captain and officers were regularly seen round the ship and staff who had been poor on the first cruise were suddenly far better.

I have cruised many times with P&O Cruises/Princess/Cunard and NCL and have to say they all offer something different and it all comes down to personal taste of what is important to you with a cruise holiday. I have to say I am surprised at all the negative comments I see for P&O Cruises as in my experience I have never had a bad cruise with them and although things change this happens around us every day. Look at how cheap you can go out for a meal these days and how the service can change from restaurant to restaurant I just believe this is part of life now is and the culture we know live in.

I remember growing up and never beliving I would be able to go on a cruise but now the prices have come in line with a good holiday abroad I for one take advantage of this and always travel with an open mind. After all I work hard and when I go on holiday I want to enjoy my time on the cruise and if something happens that I am not happy with I will address it there and then which I think is the key to us british...we love to moan but a lot of people will not verbally give people the chance to rectifiy but go onto forum sites to voice their views.

If I sat 8 people around a table we would all have a different favourite hobbies/food/colour etc., and I guess with all the choice there is on cruises these days this is the same for cruise companies. I think you cannot beat a cruise holiday for all that it offers over and beyond a normal holiday and think it is fantastic that there is so much choice out there even with P&O Cruises themselves, large ships, smaller ships, family friendly ships and adult only ships, I do not think any other cruise company offers this choice that I know of and I for one would always recommend them to try especially sailing out of Southampton which is just so easy. B)

Add me also Ron I love PO  never had a bad cruise  did two world cruises with them and loved every minute well looked after,  the Getaway prices are fantastic for us who can't book until last minute the Vantage bookers get the cabin they want, the OBC and / or free parking and the dining requirement they want sorted.

I understand they are going to start charging for shuttles for all the late bookers and it doesn't worry me one bit, I will still get the ambiance of  PO and the  great feeling when I board the ship that I will have a great cruise.

As for the moaners the British are great at that some seem to think that they are still entitled to everything under the sun , you will never change these people's outlook, I always hope and pray they don't sit at my  table because I am always out to enjoy my self.CG

People have aways said to me you pay for what you get!! I could hazard a guess that the same people that those who want everything on the cheap are the same serial complainers who say standards have gone down and the food is not as good. Have they not realised that they are the route cause of the problem

If you want cheap dont expect premium, its like buying value mince at the supermarket & expecting rare bread beef