Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cruise chef

Pay the school fine or Pay the inflated prices

51 posts in this topic

with the recent court cases which have highlighted this issue where do you stand, looking at the cost of fines over inflated prices certainly would make me think twice about when to book, and probably the education department should take a long hard look as well, if you have a child with an exceptional attendance record is is right to penalize them for a holiday-when you may have children who are hardly at school and nothing is done.

I think back many years to my school days and know that it certainly happens as I was denied the opportunity to play sport for my county and school would not release me,  7 days later we were sent on a pointless school trip of no educational value

So is it the travel industry failing the children & parents or the education system?

Wurzel55 likes this

It does seem a shame that so many parents can't afford to take their kids out of school for holiday as they are in fear of being fined but waiting until the school holidays means they also miss out on the chance as the prices are just too expensive. If a child's attendance is great, I personally don't feel they should be penalised, as like you say cruise chef so many go under the radar with poor attendance and nothing seems to be done (or least that's how it appears to many), of course this is just my opinion.

Hi  I don't believe children should miss school attendance to go on holiday, a good education is too important.  However, I am unsure whether fines should be imposed on parents who take a different view.  In the past parents were "allowed" remove school pupils for up to two weeks per year without punishment.

When I was in school, my mum always took us out a couple of days before the main school holiday, sometimes more than a few days and we would be off a week or two, I certainly don't think it did me or my sister any harm. If anything, we both learnt the importance of travel and try and get away to new places as often as possible to see the world. And when we do both decide to have children, travelling with them is already very important to us.

Furby likes this

These days the first and last days of term are full educational days. Long gone are settling in days (apart from maybe Yr7), and the last day of term being colouring and videos is no more. The curriculum is jam packed and there is no slack time for allowing children to catch up on what they have missed.

If a child has missed a week or so due to illness, and then has two weeks holiday that is a huge chunk of the school year missed with no chance to catch up. A whole section of the curriculum will have been missed.

1 hour ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

These days the first and last days of term are full educational days. Long gone are settling in days (apart from maybe Yr7), and the last day of term being colouring and videos is no more. The curriculum is jam packed and there is no slack time for allowing children to catch up on what they have missed.

If a child has missed a week or so due to illness, and then has two weeks holiday that is a huge chunk of the school year missed with no chance to catch up. A whole section of the curriculum will have been missed.

So if the curriculum is that full what is missed when schools close for general/local elections and come winter and half an inch of snow closes the school is closed for the safety of the children and for safety of teachers trying to get into work or when teachers threaten strike action are they thinking about children's education then.

I see what you re saying Sinbad, my question on that subject is simple

has the curriculum change that much in previous year that they are having more to learn than we did, I cant see that being the case and from my memory we had completed everything well in advance, I recall constanly sitting previous exam papers in maths for about 6 months as we had completed this so far in advance

I'm all for children getting a full education, but what gets my back up about this that day in day out I see kids in my area who never attend school because their parents don't send them, nothing ever seems to be done, yet others who attend regularly are punished if they miss a few days for a family holiday.

Seems to be an unfair system in my eyes.

HLM.

Land Ahoy, Popsicle and Wurzel55 like this

9 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

So if the curriculum is that full what is missed when schools close for general/local elections and come winter and half an inch of snow closes the school is closed for the safety of the children and for safety of teachers trying to get into work or when teachers threaten strike action are they thinking about children's education then.

You are talking about days where the whole school is closed. Not weeks where individual children are missing. The former are on the whole unavoidable and all the class are in the same sitation. The latter is a few children needing, or wanting individual attention on  top of the normal workload, and holding back the rest of the class.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

54 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

You are talking about days where the whole school is closed. Not weeks where individual children are missing. The former are on the whole unavoidable and all the class are in the same sitation. The latter is a few children needing, or wanting individual attention on  top of the normal workload, and holding back the rest of the class.

So you are saying its ok to close a school with a snow fall of a couple of millimetres and 100s of school children would suffer and easy to catch up. Do not believe that a child will miss that much education in a fortnight.

HLM and B&M like this

9 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

So you are saying its ok to close a school with a snow fall of a couple of millimetres and 100s of school children would suffer and easy to catch up. Do not believe that a child will miss that much education in a fortnight.

I'm with you Sinbad, it's so frustrating when a school closes for things such as a few flakes of snow.

No thought goes into the childcare problems it causes for working parents etc, but they shut the school regardless.

My daughter needs a couple of extra days off for the kids next month (half term) for their holiday, they could only get Tuesday to Tuesday flights, they were refused.

They are going anyway, she's going to phone telling the school they are sick, if she gets away with all well and good if not she'll pay the fine.

Like I said in my previous post, some of the kids in their school rarely attend but no fines just "extra support" to the parents who are basically to bone idle to get out of bed and take the kids to school.

HLM 

Edited by HLM
Spelling!!

we always cruised in term time, definately has not done me or my sister and brother any harm at all. all of us got grades to go to college and i went to university, so while education is important, 2 weeks out is not a huge amount over the whole school year, and i think the life experience of going to all the different countries is just as important

HLM likes this

As a (now retired)primary school teacher I had no problems getting time off in August - BUT my husband did. Several times I took my children away while he stayed home, working. The Government seem to think that because Parliament has long recesses 3 times a year, so does everyone else. If every parent in Britain took two weeks off during school holidays the country would be in a worse mess than it is already.  Taking a child out of school for up to two weeks - EXCEPT during exam time does no harm. 

It is essential that all parents are fined for keeping children away from school.  Many of the comments are about children of above aptitude who may not be harmed but this is a selfish attitude.  People should recognise that those of lower ability need all the input available to help them and if it became acceptable for parents to keep children off school then it is inevitable that some youngsters will be harmed.

You may not like it but if you want to keep them off school stop whinging, and pay up - those are the rules.

Falmouthgirl likes this

30 minutes ago, RuralJohn said:

It is essential that all parents are fined for keeping children away from school.  Many of the comments are about children of above aptitude who may not be harmed but this is a selfish attitude.  People should recognise that those of lower ability need all the input available to help them and if it became acceptable for parents to keep children off school then it is inevitable that some youngsters will be harmed.

You may not like it but if you want to keep them off school stop whinging, and pay up - those are the rules.

30 minutes ago, RuralJohn said:

Who should the parents fine when the head closes the school on a whim because a snow flake is falling or they go on strike because they are on ever so poor wages. Equally if the pay is that poor go find a job elsewhere.

HLM, Falmouthgirl, B&M and 1 other like this

You have to keep a child off school for 3 days if they have been vomiting or had tummy upsets so whats the difference in keeping someone off school to go on holiday? Many parents see schools as cheap child minding facilities anyway.

School days are much shorter these days than years ago with the result that there is more homework given even in primary schools. This does not stop schools closing at lunchtime for Open days, and end of term. There is also alot of time wasted in school time, preparing for Nativity plays, school productions etc. Add all this up and it can amount to more than 14 days of lost learning.

As I don't have children I feel I can be totally impartial about this, as children we were always taken out of school for two weeks because my father had to take his holidays during his Companies 'shut down weeks', we weren't the only ones it was the norm back then, did it do me any harm ?? no I don't think it did, I certainly don't feel my education suffered as a result in fact I achieved everything I set out to achieve .. and more !!

Furby and HLM like this

I don't think it matters if the holiday to be taken is in the last few days of term.  However, as a single person with no children it really irritates me when I holiday in June and there are so many school age children around.  As stated, I'm single so I have to accept single supplement.  You have children, they go to school, so therefore you holiday when the schools are closed - simple!  A matter of life choice.

5 hours ago, RubyRoo said:

I don't think it matters if the holiday to be taken is in the last few days of term.  However, as a single person with no children it really irritates me when I holiday in June and there are so many school age children around.  As stated, I'm single so I have to accept single supplement.  You have children, they go to school, so therefore you holiday when the schools are closed - simple!  A matter of life choice.

Like you say it's "a matter of life choice" you chose to be single so pay a premium, some chose to have children and take them on holiday in term time as it's cheaper, sorry if it irritates you but that's life, get over it.

HLM.

4 hours ago, HLM said:

Like you say it's "a matter of life choice" you chose to be single so pay a premium, some chose to have children and take them on holiday in term time as it's cheaper, sorry if it irritates you but that's life, get over it.

HLM.

CHOOSE to be single, really!

Oh yes I chose for my husband to die of cancer 3 days after my 52nd birthday. My friend chose for her husband to leave and divorce her against her will. SOME CHOICE.

No one necessarily chooses to be single it just happens as we all loose someone eventually. The same can be said with children some couples can’t have them and not through the want of trying.

the single traveller gets penalised all year round when going on holiday with single supplements and single rooms or cabins are loaded as well. Some holidays, if you book early enough, give cheaper rates for children. Even more recently look how many cruises have been offered where the third and fourth person go either free or for a very small price. Single people don’t get that choice.

Children need an education and the syllabus is there for a reason. If hey are taken out of school during term time then they have to go into catch up mode which will surely put stress on the child, potentially the rest of the class, and also the teachers. So all should be thought about before taking them out for a holiday.

HthrEdmndsn likes this