Sign in to follow this  
mimimax

P&O Gratuities

Even with auto grats a lot of people still give a little extra on top in cash to the cabin & table stewards. If tips were included in the price they would still give some cash & the whole merry-go-round would start again. We came off Adonia today & tipped the cabin steward on top of the auto grats but didn't give extra to the restaurant staff & still feel a bit guilty even though auto grats is supposed to stop us thinking about tipping on board.

57 minutes ago, 2torts said:

Even with auto grats a lot of people still give a little extra on top in cash to the cabin & table stewards. If tips were included in the price they would still give some cash & the whole merry-go-round would start again. We came off Adonia today & tipped the cabin steward on top of the auto grats but didn't give extra to the restaurant staff & still feel a bit guilty even though auto grats is supposed to stop us thinking about tipping on board.

Thats what cruise companies want you to feel "guilty" so that you give tips so they can use that as an excuse to pay staff a very low wage and then it boosts their profits.

On 2 October 2017 at 9:01 AM, Tally said:

I think we've always disagreed about the gratuities haven't we. Anyhow perhaps one day P&O and other companies will realise the best thing to do would be to include them with the price of the  cruise. At least it will put an end to these relentless threads with all the speculation as to what happens to the tips and who gets what etc.:rolleyes:

No, No, No! - the whole point is missing here. Gratuities should not be included within the price because, if it is, then it is a wage subsidy. Crew have a choice which is to work for P&O or not for the wages that are on offer. If the pay is poor then they need not do it - it is their choice. If you work out how much a steward is getting, including tips, it would be about the equivalent of £1,800 per month plus wages. They are employed in their home country and so the question of tax is interesting. They also have other benefits which wold effectively mean they are earning the equivalent of approximately £40k per year. All this is provided they do a good job and if they do not then they should not be on the ships. Hard, I know, but fact of life. Happy to tip excellent service industry workers but only if they do their job properly.

1 hour ago, Captain Kidd II said:

No, No, No! - the whole point is missing here. Gratuities should not be included within the price because, if it is, then it is a wage subsidy. Crew have a choice which is to work for P&O or not for the wages that are on offer. If the pay is poor then they need not do it - it is their choice. If you work out how much a steward is getting, including tips, it would be about the equivalent of £1,800 per month plus wages. They are employed in their home country and so the question of tax is interesting. They also have other benefits which wold effectively mean they are earning the equivalent of approximately £40k per year. All this is provided they do a good job and if they do not then they should not be on the ships. Hard, I know, but fact of life. Happy to tip excellent service industry workers but only if they do their job properly.

On what do you base your figures of £1,800 per month and what benefits then bump it to £40000 per annum.

Sinbad10 - I worked on £6.00 per night per cabin for 30 days x 10 cabins (which could be more) giving £1,800 per month. Add the cost of food, lodgings, uniforms etc plus of course wages and the figure increases (net of tax). Add back in what we would pay in the uk for NI and tax and you will get to the figure I have suggested. At the end of the day we all have choices, including the crew on a ship, re who we work for and if you do not like the work for the pay can leave. My whole point is I am not prepared to subsidise wages in the way, or any way using gratutities, but am very happy to reward what I believe to be good service rather than excellent which for many times is none existent. 

1 employee salary or estimate
About £1k - £1k

£1k
£1k

And yet this is taken from the website offering job's on cruise ship's? (OWT link) This is the best pay.To get to £40 k you need to be at officer level?

The numbers people come up with are pure guess work ,we do not know how the tip's are distributed ,and IMO the the numbers people come up with are part of their reasoning not to pay tip's...Davybe

12 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Sinbad10 - I worked on £6.00 per night per cabin for 30 days x 10 cabins (which could be more) giving £1,800 per month. Add the cost of food, lodgings, uniforms etc plus of course wages and the figure increases (net of tax). Add back in what we would pay in the uk for NI and tax and you will get to the figure I have suggested. At the end of the day we all have choices, including the crew on a ship, re who we work for and if you do not like the work for the pay can leave. My whole point is I am not prepared to subsidise wages in the way, or any way using gratutities, but am very happy to reward what I believe to be good service rather than excellent which for many times is none existent. 

Straight away you are assuming that everyone onboard pays £6 which as we all know from here that they dont

I think you're spot on there Davybe.  The only reason IMO ever to raise/answer this question is to somehow justify to yourself - once you have read all the comments - why you shouldn't pay.   Everyone will do whatever they want and why they need the views of other people to justify what they do, is beyond me.   At least some on this board are honest about what they do, and that is fair enough. 

Me, I always pay - part and parcel of any cruise IMO and once the money is paid over I forget about it.  I get my onboard entertainment from watching the sad people, in very long queues, waiting to take off their tips!    I am on holiday, and frankly the least hassle I have the better.   It is certainly an amount of money that I will never lose any sleep over - if I did, I wouldn't cruise.

23 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

First of all I can't believe you really think the cabin stewards are getting £40K a year. Secondly if the gratuities were included in the price, people could decide whether or not to pay that price for a cruise. Once they have decided they will, then what the company do with the money is up to that particular company. BTW I'm sure no-one will object if you then wish to tip anyone who gives you excellent service.

13 hours ago, Davybe said:
1 employee salary or estimate
About £1k - £1k

£1k
£1k

And yet this is taken from the website offering job's on cruise ship's? (OWT link) This is the best pay.To get to £40 k you need to be at officer level?

The numbers people come up with are pure guess work ,we do not know how the tip's are distributed ,and IMO the the numbers people come up with are part of their reasoning not to pay tip's...Davybe

I you have read my comments you will see I am not against paying gratuities but I am not prepared to subsidise wages. If the £1k wage is considered good by those taking up a contract then the top up if tips, even if only a quarter of my calculations leaves the individual very well off in their home country.

9 hours ago, Mayway said:

I think you're spot on there Davybe.  The only reason IMO ever to raise/answer this question is to somehow justify to yourself - once you have read all the comments - why you shouldn't pay.   Everyone will do whatever they want and why they need the views of other people to justify what they do, is beyond me.   At least some on this board are honest about what they do, and that is fair enough. 

Me, I always pay - part and parcel of any cruise IMO and once the money is paid over I forget about it.  I get my onboard entertainment from watching the sad people, in very long queues, waiting to take off their tips!    I am on holiday, and frankly the least hassle I have the better.   It is certainly an amount of money that I will never lose any sleep over - if I did, I wouldn't cruise.

If you are on holiday why, on earth, do you spend your time "watching the sad people, in very long queues, waiting to take their tips off" when you could be doing something far more enjoyable? From experience I have never seen such queues when I have popped down to reception either for Britain Today or to pick up my form to adjust the auto gratuities 😂😂😂

10 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Straight away you are assuming that everyone onboard pays £6 which as we all know from here that they dont

As long as I am paying those who I feel deserves being tipped and at the rate I want to pay then I am not worried. The whole point is I do not wish to subsidise the wage bill nor be dictated to as to who I wish to tip and by how much.

17 hours ago, Mayway said:

I get my onboard entertainment from watching the sad people, in very long queues, waiting to take off their tips!

I'm with Captain on this, I can honestly say I've never seen long queues at reception waiting to remove their gratuities.

Even if there were long queues, how could you possibly know that's what they are there for, unless you are earwigging of course 🤔

HLM.

10 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I you have read my comments you will see I am not against paying gratuities but I am not prepared to subsidise wages. If the £1k wage is considered good by those taking up a contract then the top up if tips, even if only a quarter of my calculations leaves the individual very well off in their home country.

The crew are working and living in the same part's we are cruising in ,what they get paid at home is nothing to do with the rate of pay they get on the ship's, We Have Nurses who come here to work in the NHS so they can send money back home to support their families ,perhaps we should drop there pay to their countries average...Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

The crew are working and living in the same part's we are cruising in ,what they get paid at home is nothing to do with the rate of pay they get on the ship's, We Have Nurses who come here to work in the NHS so they can send money back home to support their families ,perhaps we should drop there pay to their countries average...Davybe

But nurses from abroad working in the NHS are living here paying our taxes, prices for food and accommodation and a higher living costs those on cruises do not pay these and at end of contract return home where standards and wages and living costs are a lot cheaper. Many come from countries where averages wages are between £50-£100 a month. This makes your comment nonsensical and irrevellant.

Edited by sinbad10

There was an article recent in Mail on Sunday that people that make clothes for Primark, Asda,Tesco and many others get paid 25p per hour and that is why those that live in similar part of world with similar pay leave home to work abroad whether it be on cruise ships, hotels or in other countries to earn higher wages.

So many self-righteous folk trying to shame others into paying what is after all a 'tip' which as far as I am aware is purely a personal choice. Would these same folks 'tip up' say £15 per room per night for a stay in a hotel of say 14 days [not untypical of the duration of a cruise] - only they [and their partner] know the true answer. My last job was a self-employed private hire operator -often driving through the dead of night in wintertime to pick up and to drop folks going on many a cruise. I was ruddy lucky if I saw a £5 tip - quite a few times none at all....and I was expected to lump their bags into and out of the car. 

8 minutes ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

So many self-righteous folk trying to shame others into paying what is after all a 'tip' which as far as I am aware is purely a personal choice. Would these same folks 'tip up' say £15 per room per night for a stay in a hotel of say 14 days [not untypical of the duration of a cruise] - only they [and their partner] know the true answer. My last job was a self-employed private hire operator -often driving through the dead of night in wintertime to pick up and to drop folks going on many a cruise. I was ruddy lucky if I saw a £5 tip - quite a few times none at all....and I was expected to lump their bags into and out of the car. 

Absolutely nothing to do with being self righteous. Cruising is so much cheaper than it used to be. So people who once spent 2 weeks in Spain now spend two weeks on board a ship because it's cheaper and yet they still object to paying gratuities. For goodness sake they aren't that expensive on P&O. Quite honestly anyone who doesn't pay the tips should feel ashamed but I'm guessing they don't.

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

Ah well there's you being presumptuous. I did not say that I do not tip -in fact I do -but I tip to those of my choice....

I don't believe I said YOU did not pay your tips. I said anyone who didn't pay them should be ashamed. 

Give a tip or don't give a tip is up to the individual person to decide, again take off the auto tip and don't give anything or take it off to tip yourself or leave it on really when it boils down is nobodies business except the individuals.

I am on my holiday I really don't care who does what, I do what I am happy with and it is no-one business but mine.

10 hours ago, Tally said:

Cruising is so much cheaper than it used to be. So people who once spent 2 weeks in Spain now spend two weeks on board a ship because it's cheaper and yet they still object to paying gratuities

I'd love to see the evidence of this Tally, my daughter and SIL has now taken the 3 kids to Lanzarote for two weeks AI for £2,500, a cruise for the same two weeks £4,500 without drinks, so find it hard to accept what you're saying.

Very rarely have I seen a cruise cheaper that a land based holiday and when I have it very last minute, which a majority of people can't do.

HLM.

8 hours ago, Tally said:

I don't believe I said YOU did not pay your tips. I said anyone who didn't pay them should be ashamed. 

Why should people be ashamed Tally?

HLM.

2 hours ago, HLM said:

Why should people be ashamed Tally?

HLM.

I think it's been said many times on this and other forums and even on P&O's Facebook page, so I'm not getting into all that. Anyhow I'm sure however than anyone not paying tips really has no sense of shame. Quite honestly I don't know why I joined in yet another tipping thread. There really is no point. I'll continue to do what I think is right the right thing and other people will do what they want.