Sign in to follow this  
mimimax

P&O Gratuities

29 minutes ago, captaintel123 said:

I think HLM forgets that the prices we pay today are not a great deal different to 30 years ago.thats down to us the customer.By removing grats the only person that can possibly suffer is the crew member.Well done.

I have a longer memory than that Captaintel, gratuities in those day's were between me and the individual crew members, no controversy, no questions asked, how it should be.

Prices in those were higher in comparison, but the big difference was the whole experience was then luxury and not aimed at the mass market as it is today, personal service, prime ingredients, real 5* dining totally different to what it is today, such as mass dining, plated meals or serve yourself buffets, to get anywhere near that today it'd have to pay the best part of £40pppn in the specialty restaurants. When you start to add it up you can see why the headline prices are lower.

Also the headline prices now are driven down simply because the onboard experience is more expensive, like I have already said the specialty restaurants, limelight clubs, cookery lessons, room service to name but a few, not forgetting auto grats, and service charges on some lines, all these generating additional income which were included many years ago.

So given the choice I'd much rather go back to how it was 30yrs ago, but I know it won't because the    clientele dictate what the market wants, however because I still have discretion on gratuities, I'll choose the best option for me, which is to opt out and give a reward to who I choose.

Will I lose any sleep for removing the auto grats of course I won't, I've paid my fare and rewarded who I wanted too, no shame in that.

HLM.

3 hours ago, Mayway said:

Every business in the world will use 'cheap labour' when they can get away with it

You're probably right, but does every business in the world expect their customers to make up the shortfall in their staffs wages, the answer is a resounding NO.

High Street Stores and Supermarkets such as Primark, Next, Sainsbury and Asda all use foreign sweat shop makers to provide their clothing ranges, most likely in worse conditions that any crew member but do you or anyone else think about that when purchasing the products or leave a tip, of course you don't what's the difference?

Ultimately it's the employees own decision who they work for,  therefore if they choose to work under the T&C's of that company it's up to them, like it or not it really is that simple.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:25 AM, HLM said:

But they shouldn't be expected Tally, as most cruiselines operate a discretionary gratuity system expecting them is naive in my opinion.

Also because I don't know where they are going, that's just one of the reasons I no longer pay autograts and pay individuals as I see fit.

HLM.

I agree. In my opinion it is the cabin steward who should have the largest tip so I don't do auto tips & leave envelope for my cabin steward.

We Brits are just plain stingy generally speaking. It's a national characteristic. When we're on a longish cruise and we multiply the days x say £16 per cabin, it can be a significant hole in your budget if you're on a longish cruise. 

For me and the boss, we pay the auto gratuities and also generously tip the stewards waiters and some others. I also tip waiters at the end who have bothered to remember me, maybe my name, make a point to come to serve us, and are genuinely friendly. I may be a genetic mutant from British standard meanness, but I enjoy tipping and making someone happier in what can be a soleless job. 

Cruising is still fantastic value after 12 years. Try getting that level of service and quality of food on a shore holiday for the same price. Hotels don't allow you to wake up somewhere different and exciting every day.