Sign in to follow this  
samfox01

To go or not to go to the Caribbean?

So, with the Caribbean being one of the main places to visit at this time of year. I'm sure that this is pretty much what's on everyone's minds as well as mine? I'm booked on the transatlantic voyage to the Caribbean on Azura. My itinerary at the minute is: Southampton, Madeira, St. Maarten, Dominica, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados. I PRESUME St. Maarten and Dominica will be off the cards? So, my debate is if they cancel them ports of call and just replace with sea days, should i cancel the cruise? I doubt that P&O Cruises will do anything for me.

I believe we won't see anything of Barbados as we're just flying back from this port? Has anyone had any updates on their cruise to the Caribbean yet?

Hi
Me and my family are booked on this cruise and we still have no idea what cruise ports we will be visiting or if they will just add sea days in replace of the damaged islands, part of me gets frustrated with my holiday being up in the air but another part of me thinks about the poor families that have no power or even no home to go back to.

I have two kids age 3 and 7 they have been looking forward to this holiday for a while and I’m sure they will have lots to do and people to meet on the ship, so even if they do replace with sea days it isn’t going to ruin our holiday.

P&O have said they will be writing to us this week so hopefully before the end of the week we will know where we will be heading.

AFP_S5649 2.jpg

It's such a shame these beautiful places have been hit with so much destruction but I'm sure these ports will be up and running as soon as possible, as they need the tourists to help bring the money into their community. I do hope that you get the answers soon for your cruise though, and I'm sure your kids will have a fantastic time whether that be on the ship for an extra couple days or if on land if they do swap the ports. 

i go on the 7th oct from southampton 24 days to the carribean and back.no news of any itinery changes as yet. but so what i am lucky enough to be on holiday and its not going to ruin my holiday if we have to miss an island or 2 or visit a different island instead. i think it would be worse not to go. at least the few dollars i spend on whichever island will enable someone to earn something towards getting things back to normal. i am under no illusion that my spend will make much difference lets just hope the governments can make the rest happen.

i am on the cruise on 7 oct,just been notified st maarten has been replaced with martinique on a different day and antigua is now on the day st maarten was and martinique is the day antigua was. if you see what i mean.

so no  issue.

We go in December having studied the places we most wanted to see which included St Martins and one or towo other places badly effected. I`m guessing it will be sea days and the alternatives we had rejected but await confirmation.

this is the text of the email i received.

"Following the recent hurricanes, the vast majority of ports in the Caribbean are still open and thankfully unaffected. Across the Caribbean, 43 of the region’s estimated 48 ports are fully operational today, having received minimal or no damage from the storms. However, five of the ports that P&O ships routinely visit in the winter season have had damage to the infrastructure and the cruise berth or terminal, so it has been necessary to remove these ports from the itineraries until they are repaired and ready for cruise visitors. The ports currently closed are Dominica, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola. Your cruise operator remains optimistic that these ports will be operational before the end of the year.

As a result of these port closures, your cruise operator has found it necessary to replace the call to Philipsburg, St. Maarten with one to Fort De France, Martinique. In order to accommodate this change, the call date for St. Johns, Antigua has also been amended. The full revised itinerary is as follows:"

i dare say they will amend further as ports come back online. for me its not an issue ive been to st maarten before and i dont think ive been to martinique so works for me.

i hope your all affected as little as ive been. enjoy your hols thats the main thing.

We are meant to be going in December and are of the same opinion as many other people in that the islanders need our money more than ever.

With regard to the itinerary change from St Martin to Martinique please be aware there is a Malaria risk warning for Martinique 

On 27/09/2017 at 3:36 PM, samfox01 said:

So, with the Caribbean being one of the main places to visit at this time of year. I'm sure that this is pretty much what's on everyone's minds as well as mine? I'm booked on the transatlantic voyage to the Caribbean on Azura. My itinerary at the minute is: Southampton, Madeira, St. Maarten, Dominica, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados. I PRESUME St. Maarten and Dominica will be off the cards? So, my debate is if they cancel them ports of call and just replace with sea days, should i cancel the cruise? I doubt that P&O Cruises will do anything for me.

I believe we won't see anything of Barbados as we're just flying back from this port? Has anyone had any updates on their cruise to the Caribbean yet?

St Maarten, Dominica, Tortola will be "out of use" for several months if not longer. Due to go to St Maarten but this has been changed to Martinique.

On 27/09/2017 at 7:25 PM, mitch said:

i go on the 7th oct from southampton 24 days to the carribean and back.no news of any itinery changes as yet. but so what i am lucky enough to be on holiday and its not going to ruin my holiday if we have to miss an island or 2 or visit a different island instead. i think it would be worse not to go. at least the few dollars i spend on whichever island will enable someone to earn something towards getting things back to normal. i am under no illusion that my spend will make much difference lets just hope the governments can make the rest happen.

St Maarten changed to Martinique.

13 hours ago, Bizziebee said:

We are meant to be going in December and are of the same opinion as many other people in that the islanders need our money more than ever.

With regard to the itinerary change from St Martin to Martinique please be aware there is a Malaria risk warning for Martinique 

which has been known for years apparently. Simply get jab from GP 

11 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

St Maarten changed to Martinique.

The Gov UK health advice only warns of the usual risks of zika, chikungunya and dengue viruses / fever and advises to avoid getting bitten by mosquitos through usual methods. No mention there of malaria risks.

Personally I would still go, having seen the small changes made by some of the cruise lines to the itineraries it doesn't look to me that customer are going to be overly inconvenienced, not compared to the residents of the islands where in same cases they will have lost everything.

Put in perspective a luxury ship with all mod cons, a slight changed in destination, great food & plenty of clean water to drink as against no home, no power, no clean water and little to shout about it would be rude of customers to complain and not go and enjoy it!!!! (and shame on the complainers)

We are booked on the Britannia transatlantic coming back from the Caribbean In March which was due to call at 3 of the closed ports, Barbados being the only scheduled port still open.

Obviously I feel very sorry for the people living on the worst affected islands and I hope that they get back to some sort of normality as soon as possible, but as this is our first Caribbean cruise I don't really mind too much which islands we visit. I would however be very disappointed if P&O added any more sea days.