Kev58

First time on Queen Mary 2

Hi Kev 58.   Sorry never been on the Queen Mary 2 so cannot pass comment but know people who have and they say it is lovely. We have cruised several times with P & O and have never had any trouble with them until now Having booked on the Adonia for our Golden Wedding Anniversary  in 2018 they have sold the ship and have pulled the rug from beneath our feet so to speak. Ironically they are handing the ship over on the day we were due to pick it up so you can imagine we are very disappointed.  Don't know if we shall trust them again. However we have now booked to go through Cunard on their Queen Victoria same date but with some extras. been told that it lovely overall and that the food is good etc BUT  Just read some unfavourable reviews regarding the Victoria/Cunard specially on transfers so now feeling a bit panicky.  We have however been to and from Southampton most times with P&O brilliant extremely well organised and have visited New York but on this occasion we actually flew. In our case it will be interesting to be able to compare. Sorry not much help, enjoy your trip.

QM2 and especially a TA is quite special, expect it to be quite formal ( probably at least 4 formal nights ) you will probably find there are not enough hours in the day to do everything you want to do but you can expect some excellent speakers the evening entertainment is very much about personal choice you may/may not enjoy it but make allowances for the fact they are not just catering for the British market as P&O do.

Carol, QV is a wonderful ship I don't think you will be disappointed, I'm guessing the unfavorable reviews you have read were about the recent problems there was with Titan flight to Athens ( I think )  from what I have read it was very badly handled or at least that is what some passengers were saying but my understanding was it was out of Cunard's control .. unfortunately they don't have spare planes sat on the tarmac 'just in case' and occasionally problems can and do happen, as far as I'm aware this was a one off but I'm sure Cunard will be looking at which Carriers they use in the future.

Go and enjoy it's a pretty impressive ship and very friendly. 

Carol, have cruised twice on QV, 70 day portion of her World Cruise in 2013 and her Baltic cruise in 2014 both absolutely fantastic can not fault anything so am sure you will enjoy your celebrations, we love that ship. Kev 58 we will be boarding QM 2 in New York on Sunday 12 November this year, getting very close now, to sail Translantic to Southampton so will let you know when we return on the 19 November what we thought of her. We booked through Bolsover the pre cruise trip to Toronto, Niagara Falls (3 nights) Amtrak train from there to  New York ( 2 nights) and sail home on QM 2. We fly out on Tuesday, bit apprehensive of all the different modes of transport as we are no " Spring Chickens"  but  am sure we can relax our weary bones once we board QM 2!! Keep an eye open for my thoughts when we get back.

Hi, 

First of all, sorry for my english language, this is not my first language....so I apologize for any error. ;.)

I was on QM2 for a TA just 1 year ago, in December 2016. As single I occupied the new single cabin on Deck 3, number 3010. I say: Amazing.  On the computer renderings after the Hamburg refit, the original was far better and cosy. 2 big circle windows brought the ocean into my cabin, wonderful views. The space for the single cabin is also great, and practically from the shower you can watch the ocean...:-)) The liner is a class of its own. I travelled also on the QE2, as well on the new Queen Elizabeth....but Queen Mary 2 will be for me the top of them, of course and no doubts the other Cunarder are also magnificent. The size of QM2 is just amazing. As Runner, I does my Jogging tour early in the morning around the Teak Ship Deck. The Fitness Center is OK but far away from other Cruise Liner, or Fun Ships. The Spa, I used daily is nice, but a little bit to small, and no views to the sea ... the point is that the massages are more profitable and I think that Cunard keep the space more for massage cabins as for Sauna or Hamam Space. Finally for me it big enough as I go early in the morning without any crowd. The Restaurants are .... hhhmmm. I booked 2 diners in the Verandah Grill, formerly Tod English. You have to visit the Grill, also for his decoration and it is quiet...very quiet. As Britannia "user" the quietness is very welcome. Otherwise I love the Britannia as it remembers me the great era of the ocean liners in the 30ths... I love this, especially the formal night diners. And that is also the reason I book again Cunard. You have to wear a smoking (believe me, I am a normal guy and never wear it) , but here on QM2 it is a must, and for me tradition in good old style. So today I finish my little story about my TA crossing, and hope that some details help to create a pre-joy to your voyage.. Sincerely, lahrdeco     

P1060215.jpg

P1060519.jpg

P1060423.jpg

Lovely review & pictures, lahrdeco & your English is very good. We've never tried QM2 but have tried Queen Victoria which was lovely & as you say very quiet in places if you want to be peaceful.

Dear 2torts,

Thank you for your reply and compliments. 

I try to do my best, and training is the best what I can do. 

In January 2019 I will do another TA with the Queen Victoria, my first time on this vessel. I am sure that I will find my quiet places too. 

Best regards, lahrdeco

Just saw your post  about QM2 concern

Rest assured you will want to stay on and return to New York, do a BtB, still have time to work out costs for air/hotel/ transfers :) 

We did a QM2 TA Southampton to New York via Liverpool, Halifax, Boston, New York  in July 2015 ( 12 days voyage) for its 175th Cunard Anniversary cruise

When the seas get rough , you do not notice unless you look out a porthole, she just plows through at 20knots plus

Service, food, staff are excellent , many activities offered day and night  including just resting and reading a book or such.

Here is the link for some of our pictures of our QM2 voyage

In April 2017 , we did the Panama Canal World Cruise segment from San Francisco to  Fort Lauderdale on the Queen Victoria ( 17 days)

Here is the link for some pictures of our QV voyage 

and

for June 2019 we are booked on the Queen Elizabeth for a 10 day Alaska cruise,, Least our flights will be only 20 minutes as we live on Vancouver Island

Edited by RobBar

Kev58 - you will find Cunard a little more formal than P&O - especially on a TA Crossing.  I went on my second Cunard cruise last year and felt the food and service were a notch up on P&O.  Sadly, you will also notice the higher bar prices...  I am sure you will have a wonderful time however.

Lahrdeco - thanks for the report and photos.  Like you, I have sailed aboard the old QE2 and the present Queen Elizabeth.  I did the QE2 from New York to Southampton so QM2 Southampton - New York is on my wish list!

QM2 is a small cruise ship, with many formal nights. It has the best library of any cruise ship I have used. The sick bay chief Dr was from the Armed Forces...and you pay over $100 per visit. The "Ballroom" is a small arena up forward with a small rather worn timber dance floor. Bar prices are high. Speciality dining is limited because even tho you see 5 or 6 special dining rooms listed, 3 are reserved for suite passengers and the like. The food on my Japan-Korea cruise was good English Restaurant standard from the 1950s. The raw material was good, but the execution was bad boardinghouse standard. Compared to Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, the experience is below par.

P&O out of Brisbane was rather worse.

Edited by CA Wade

I would hardly call the QM2 a small cruise ship although compared to the mammoth ships being built now I suppose in time it will be termed 'small', other than the library your experience doesn't sound very positive at all and very different to my own views of all three Queens, fortunately I have never had to visit the sick bay but I believe $100 is about the norm on most ships and very similar to what we would pay here in the UK for a private consultation, bar prices again we expect to pay a similar amount as we would in any 5* hotel and more or less in line with other cruise companies we have sailed with, I'm a little confused about the small ballroom as I thought the QM2 boasted the largest ballroom at sea ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) granted you will find much larger ones on land but I think it's pretty good for one at sea.

I can't really comment on the food as we travel in QG however we have eaten in the Britannia restaurant with friends at lunchtime and always found the food to be perfectly acceptable and the menu very similar to that in QG.

I love formal nights so it is never a problem for me but for those who do want to avoid them there is the option to dine in the buffet and once the 'new changes' come into effect there will be a couple more venues where those who don't wish to dress formally can go.

The QM2 was the largest cruise ship in the world when it was launched in 2004. The ballroom is not up forward but is at the rear and it is quite large. Cunard claim it is the largest ballroom at sea and I have no reason to dispute this.

Brian

9 hours ago, CA Wade said:

QM2 is a small cruise ship, with many formal nights. It has the best library of any cruise ship I have used. The sick bay chief Dr was from the Armed Forces...and you pay over $100 per visit. The "Ballroom" is a small arena up forward with a small rather worn timber dance floor. Bar prices are high. Speciality dining is limited because even tho you see 5 or 6 special dining rooms listed, 3 are reserved for suite passengers and the like. The food on my Japan-Korea cruise was good English Restaurant standard from the 1950s. The raw material was good, but the execution was bad boardinghouse standard. Compared to Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, the experience is below par.

P&O out of Brisbane was rather worse.

You must get your facts right before you comment and complain. Queens Room is towards the stern of deck 3,  2 of the restaurants your refer to are not speciality dining venues but dining rooms for Queens and Princess suites which are the equivalent to Britannia MDR and the best but last that "boarding house standard" is laughable and not even worth comment.

Lots I could say, but small ballroom on the Queen Mary, I have never been on cruise with a larger one, nor have I ever been to a boarding house with better food than on a cruise, I can’t have been to the same places as C A Wade.