Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Thomson Cruises change their name

Seeing an announcement this morning that Thomson cruises have changed their name, being rebranded to Marella Cruises. Not sure that this will be met with cheers & applause as it is not a name that will roll off the british tongue

Thomson's or to give it its full name, Thomson Travel Group was In 2000 acquired by Preussag AG, which was renamed TUI AG on 1 July 2002 and Thomson Travel became TUI UK. Marella Cruises will be the UK cruise arm of TUI AG which also owns 50% of TUI Cruises with the other 50% being owned by Royal Caribbean.

It all seems very confusing to me at first glance. It doesn't take long to get your head around it but surely it made sense to focus on the TUI rebrand before making anymore changes. Personally, I think TUI Cruises sounds better than Marella Cruises and at least people would have had chance to get to grips with that before being hit with something else.

I think their new advertising campaigns re changing to TUI have been brilliant so it makes even less sense to me to make another change at this point.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Thomson's or to give it its full name, Thomson Travel Group was In 2000 acquired by Preussag AG, which was renamed TUI AG on 1 July 2002 and Thomson Travel became TUI UK. Marella Cruises will be the UK cruise arm of TUI AG which also owns 50% of TUI Cruises with the other 50% being owned by Royal Caribbean.

That's interesting OWT I had no idea TUI was part owned by Royal Caribbean.