tigerlilly

Would you recommend taking a baby on-board an Alaska cruise??

Would you recommend taking a baby on-board an Alaska cruise??

Alaska has always been on our to do list but things are a bit different now we have a little one. He's been fine on flights so I'm not worried about that but interested to know other peoples thoughts on what to do onboard and ashore with him and if it would be suitable?

Thanks x

I wouldn't think it would be a problem on board as there will be plenty to do providing there is a children's club, it's a number of years since we did Alaska but tbh I don't remember seeing any children on board, what I would say is to get the most out of the experience it would involve tours and depending on how old your little one is many of them wouldn't be suitable, if you are going purely for the scenery then it would probably be fine but personally it isn't a cruise I would choose until a child was older, this is only my opinion though so please don't be put off.

I would check with the cruise line first as to what they offer, most offer programs for children  of an age where they go to the washroom or such by themselves

Some do offer a nursery and or babysitting availability (charge)

Age of a child must be six months on boarding or a year depending on cruise like Transatlantic

Here is  a link that provides some good information as to cruise lines to consider

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=628

To my mind as parents you must remember your child unless under cruise staff supervision will have to be in one of yours constant attention even in areas like the buffet or relaxing in the library , coffee area. If that baby can crawl , a ship is a place to explore and can be dangerous especially carrying on an outside deck or in a pool

Having said that , I have seen couples with infants on-board but a parent is latched on all the time. You will have to spell each  other if wanting to see an event in the day or evening  or use the nanny service offered. If you have a balcony then that is a no to my mind if the door is open

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by RobBar

I have no problem with children on cruise ships, but I am not sure if Alaska is a good choice.  The attraction of Alaska is mainly scenery with a possibility of seeing wild life and the weather is often, but not always, cool and damp.  As parents, you would be restricted by the needs of your child.  Take a look at the types of excursions offered in each port and consider how suitable they would be for your family.  I think you would get more out of an Alaska cruise with an older child. A warm weather cruise on a ship with a childrens' splash area and port stops with beaches might be more appropriate right now.