Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
casper

Four hours!! really??

17 posts in this topic

So I'm due to travel on the Britannia 08th Dec to Barbados - do I really need to be at the airport four hours before. I have pre booked my seats so surely three hours would be acceptable? - Advice please - Can't wait for the sunshine!

that does seem a bit excessive, we got to the airport 45mins before our flight to new york (not planned) and still ended up waiting at the gate

Four hours is excessive! It's ridiculous to expect passengers to arrive that far in advance of their flight. I think three hours is the maximum they can expect and that's only for long-haul, if it's a short-haul flight it should be no more than 2 hours for check-in. 

bigrog likes this

I suppose it does seem excessive but with all the extra security which appears to be needed at our airports these days perhaps there is a very good reason for asking people to be there earlier .. just a thought !!

I just heard on the news that the US is requiring that laptops, phones and tablets may be individually examined so security is liable to take longer.  Maybe this is the reason for the extra time.

Flying direct to Barbados doesn't involve the USA so that shouldn't affect P & O passengers. When we went last March check in was 4 hours before the flight but we left it till 3 hours before & that left plenty of time for security & a look round the shops. Hanging round an airport for hours really made me appreciate cruising directly from Southampton.

alpagroves, bigrog and Davybe like this

It has to be remembered that airports are on a high state of alert and it is taking much longer to get through the security checks especially at the busy times. 2 weeks ago I travelled to Italy and Croatia the week before and both times it seemed to take for ever to get through security.

14 hours ago, Terry A said:

The check in times before a flight is one of the reasons we look for cruises from UK ports.  Airports are a pain 

The waiting at airports certainly swung it for us along with the jet lag ,Much easier sailing from the UK ,Catch a coach little waiting no worries ,great start to the holiday...Davybe

Tinkerbell and *Dancing Queen* like this