Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Mighty Cruise Ships on TV

The TV Chanel Quest have started a new series of Mighty cruise Ship's. 

Tuesday night's at 9-0pm This next one is about Carnival Vista?

The first one was about Viking Cruises new ship, you can watch this on the "Quest" web site ,available for the next six days....Davybe

I watched the repeat on Quest yesterday afternoon. The ship looked wonderful & it was interesting to see behind the scenes stuff such as the local pilots on the bridge. The floating walkways in gerainger fjord are a good idea - it was tenders when we were there a few years ago. 

I am enjoying this series.  It is so nice to see plenty about the actual ship.  The Viking ship was, I think, actually their first ship, which was built last year.  They now have three.  The first episode was good too - featuring the ultra luxurious Europa 2 of Hapag Lloyd.  The sail in and out of Trollfjord looked incredible.  Seeing Gerainger brought back good memories of a visit there aboard Saga Ruby in her last season.  We had a lovely misty sail-in and then the rest of the day was gloriously sunny.

I doubt that seeing Carnival Vista will tempt me but I am still looking forward to seeing the programme. 

I do like this series and the original Mighty Ships which was fascinating in showing how ships are built for a specific purpose.

So, here's the but.

I do get a bit fed-up with everything they do being presented as an over dramatic crisis, e.g. this is the first time in this port - will they make it in?, they are delayed out of Harwich - will they catch up the time?, the pilot has never dealt with a ship this size - will he manage? And don't get me started about the stock (pun intended) scene of the ship's provisions being loaded sometimes with the chef squeezing and sniffing stuff.

Apart from that it is an interesting programme showing the different types of ship that are out there.

RayO

I completely agree with you about the over-dramatisation RayO.  With Viking Sea it was about the fuel bunker being late so would they be able to sail on time - and then, as they didn't sail completely full of fuel, would they run out during the cruise!  Laughable really but sadly it is the way of life and TV these days - everything has to have a bit of drama attached to it!

21 hours ago, RayO said:

I do like this series and the original Mighty Ships which was fascinating in showing how ships are built for a specific purpose.

So, here's the but.

I do get a bit fed-up with everything they do being presented as an over dramatic crisis, e.g. this is the first time in this port - will they make it in?, they are delayed out of Harwich - will they catch up the time?, the pilot has never dealt with a ship this size - will he manage? And don't get me started about the stock (pun intended) scene of the ship's provisions being loaded sometimes with the chef squeezing and sniffing stuff.

Apart from that it is an interesting programme showing the different types of ship that are out there.

RayO

It's the Format they have always used ,and must have proved successful as they keep making more episodes ?

We would be surprised who many countries show these program's and using a proven format ,(Like X factor) get's them a known audience and the advertising is easier to sell....Davybe

Last night's program was on Carnival's new ship ,I found it quite interesting but not a ship I would go on.

Very surprised when they showed them cleaning out the water filtration unit, It was loaded with Plastic? I really is becoming a problem our reliance on the plastic.

They had a strange way to off load a sick passenger ,and having to wait for 37 passengers who were late arriving back.

They did point out the Captain has an obligation to wait for ship's tour's that are late but not Private tour's, Enjoyed the program worth watching....Davybe

15 hours ago, cruise chef said:

If you can get the back catalogue Davy Be I thinbk they have also featured Crystal Serenity, Hurtigruten Fram, Queen Mary2 & one of the large RCI ships, they were good to watch as featured more unusual locations

Morning CC,I have missed very few of the program's over the years ,love any program about cruising and ship's in general.

I will try Youtube see if there are any on there....Davybe

Wow wow star Clipper last nights programme What a beautiful ship, the cruise looked amazing and a totally different cruise experience I have never thought about a sailing ship I have seen this ship in port a couple of times, but never looked into booking anything like that, but have now requested the brochure lots of different.ports, the only downside is would mean flying to and from.

Can not have it all.

Just caught up with the Carnival Vista programme.  As I thought, Carnival would definitely be a bit 'in your face' for me.  I noticed they did not even say that the 'Captain's Table' dinner costs extra. let alone how much it was...

I watched the Star Clipper show last night. It looked beautiful in full sail but I don't think I would like to be on it for more than a few hours mainly because the deck space looked very limited & cluttered & at one point the narrator did say that the passengers only had a choice of being on deck or having a massage. The atrium looked stunning & large for the size of ship & the crew climbing among the rigging had my heart in my mouth. Lovely ship but I prefer to see it from a distance in all its glory.

Like you 2torts I watched and enjoyed the program, I quite fancied the ship but my wife said no way, and looking at the prices around £500 a cabin, per night well out of our price range.

They seemed to have calmed down on the drama side ,still there but not as forceful.Cabin's and the food looked good and I would have liked to see more of that side of the ship's.

I have a friend who paid to crew a Tall ship and she said it was one of her lines highlights, I would imagine sailing on A Clipper ship would be a memorable cruise....Davybe

A couple of friends did a Star Clipper cruise in the Caribbean, having been used to the more usual type of cruise ship.  They enjoyed their week but did not feel inclined to do it again.  I have yet to catch up on this particular programme.

Watched last night's episode ,and a converted Ferry was not my idea of a mighty cruise ship, The program was interesting enough but we saw very little about the ship, And getting on and off in a Rubber boat would not be my ideal start to a holiday.a small ship catering for a limited market.....Davybe

Star Clipper have got a Cannes rail and sail cruise 7 night onboard from £1 ,799 I don't think that is expencive with the hotel one night stay in Cannes,

Rome to Rome 4 night cruise with fights and transfers from £1,399 looks very tempting to me,

we have got three cruises booked for next year it will not be next year, but maybe the year after, only so many holidays you can do (well us) anyway