Sign in to follow this  
midhusband

India visa.

My wife and I are booked on a P and O cruise on Arcadia next year calling in at the Indian port of Mormugao.Recently I received a email from Iglu whom we booked the cruise through that we would require a visa to enter the country. Naively we were unaware of this but I believe Iglu should have informed us of this when we booked the cruise.We visited the CIBT website and it appears it will cost s £110 pp for the visa. We ask ourselves is it worth it for one day . Opinions please

Unfortunately it is the customers responsibility to research visas required and not TA or Cruiseline. Not sure about regulations for different countries but be aware that even if you dont get off the ship you still might have to have a visa in US we had to purchase and ESTA even though we were planning on staying on the ship.

1 hour ago, mitch said:

indian visa website shows e-visa as $75. looks pretty straightforward bit of computer skill required.

be careful with this as its not accepted by all cruiselines and has a lot of t&cs attached to it, one being they have to take more details from you at port so could be a longer process to get off

this is on the cibt website so you need a tourist visa, the india gov website doesnt say what the fees are for that but a phone call will answer that for you and you can still apply yourself, there will no doubt be some mark up by cibt so up to you.

India: P&O recommend against obtaining eVisas for India.  Although India has recently introduced electronic visas, the sea ports the ship is visiting have limited capability and infrastructure to support the processing of large numbers of guests with this type of visa and very long clearance delays would be inevitable. This is due to the additional process requirements such as scanning of fingerprints and passports.  In order for you to proceed ashore quickly it is important that you obtain a standard tourist visa. The visa is normally in the form of a sticker in your passport and must be obtained prior to boarding the ship.

Hi there midhusband. You are right, they definitely should have told you beforehand that you would need a visa. I visited India last year and had sort of the same decision to make as you have to. . I did decide to get the visa as India has always been somewhere I have wanted to visit. 

A lot of people get their visa from the gov website: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html which is a good website and very easy to use. There are also private agencies you can order it from such as: https://onlinevisaindia.co.uk/ or https://india.travisa.com/

Good luck and have an amazing time!

midhusbandMmidhusban

Having paid for the cruise, I would not miss the chance of visiting India.  The cost of the visa, while annoying, is not really that significant in the overall cost.  We had four port visits in India and really enjoyed the experience which we will probably never have again.