Sign in to follow this  
iknowlescourier

Marella Dream

I'm ignoring some negative comments about Thomson (now Marella) Cruises and have booked Canary Islands in February on Dream. I will judge for myself. To be honest, my main criteria isn't the ship which I am aware is getting on a bit. What is important is getting away from Winter for a week, visiting the Canaries which we haven't been to for a while, and generally relaxing. If I go with low expectations about the accommodation, entertainment etc then I will either not be disappointed or pleasantly surprised. We have paid for the drinks package so if it is disappointing we can always make the memory a blur lol.

Any positive remarks about Marella (Thomson) are welcome.

i wouldnt worry about all the snobs around just enjoy the holiday.

i came back from a 24 nighter on arcadia at the end of oct. perfectly good cruise a couple of issues round and about with plumbing but to hear some people whinging you would have thought it was the cruise from hell.

one guy was moaning on board and put it in an online reveiw on and on that there was a chip in his sink. well if thats your only wory on a holiday and it ruins it then i think it says more about him than owt else.

in the past i cruised on airtours,thomson,ncl,rccl,cunard and p&o ive enjoyed them all.

a cabin is a cabin its a box with a bed and a shower etc.

I sailed on the Dream in it's first season with Thomson.

Before sailing I was reading horror stories online and it even featured on BBC's Watchdog program, I was dreading it to be honest, but once onboard I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was mystified on my return to find numerous horror reviews relating to the cruise I was on, some claiming things that simply did not happen for example the theatre was said to be closed for 2 day's because of alleged raw sewerage coming through the ceiling etc, it didn't though, it became quite apparent that people had jumped on the compensation bandwagon following previous and a few justified complaints on it's initial sailings.

I Learnt a valuable lesson following that, it was not to believe all you read and hear.

The Dream is an older ship but more than acceptable, entertainment was excellent and food very nice and crew probably the best I've ever encountered on a cruise, what more do you need.

It's been a while since I sailed on her so I suspect things would have been changed a bit in terms of decor etc, so can't help you there, other than to say go and enjoy :)

HLM.

I have recently booked my first Thomson cruise (can't get my head around the daft new name!) for next January.  I am doing it with a bit of trepidation as the cruise-style is very different to my usual 'traditional-style' cruise.  It is a week in the Caribbean, visiting Havana for a day and a half, which was the main draw for me.  It is on Discovery 2 (ex RCCL Legend of the Seas) and is all-inclusive.

12 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I have recently booked my first Thomson cruise (can't get my head around the daft new name!) for next January.  I am doing it with a bit of trepidation as the cruise-style is very different to my usual 'traditional-style' cruise.  It is a week in the Caribbean, visiting Havana for a day and a half, which was the main draw for me.  It is on Discovery 2 (ex RCCL Legend of the Seas) and is all-inclusive.

Hi afcandrew,

Guess you must be doing the Cuban Fusion cruise.  My wife and I, together with a couple of friends are also on that trip, back to back with Exotic Explorer.  It's a long time since we cruised with Thomson (it was our first ever cruise) but the itineraries attracted us, so we're giving them another go.

Here's to a great trip!!

DavidH

Once did a Thomson cruise.The cabins were smaller,the food was par excellence.The entertainment was first class.Would suggest to give them a try I am looking at the Thomson/Marella fire and ice for 2018 july

I went on the Thompson Dream as it was in its first season - summer 2010, I think. The entertainment was probably the best at sea and the drinks package well worth it. However, I have to take issue with the member who argues that there were few real problems in that maiden season with Thompson and that people were jumping on the compensation band waggon. In summer 2010, that ship was a disgrace and unfit for purpose. But, for the original poster, I believe it is now sorted out - it’s many years later and I have heard it is very enjoyable -so just go and enjoy.

But for us - we will never ever entertain any holiday again with Tui - and we were yearly regulars on land with them at that point, always feeling that Thompson gave us a great holiday, peace of mind that any issues would be sorted out - not so on the Thompson ‘nightmare’ of 2010. Soaking wet carpets everywhere - one can only imagine what they were wet from . This included in our cabin where we had to have a huge and noisy dryer placed in the cabin to try and alleviate it. Everywhere you walked your finest cruise wear you were dripped upon  by the same leakage that was seeking into carpets and cabins,though electrical sockets/ fittings etc -  it was disgusting.

There  were issues with food - they could even get the soup hot enough dues to a problem with ship’s system and We had total blackouts ship - wide frequently. 

Initially,we didn’t leave port for two days due to these mechanical problems meaning that we missed our first port. At this point, there was a comical atmosphere on board ‘ How are you enjoying the non- cruise - the ship that doesn’t go anywhere ?’ However, quite rightly walking into sewage all day and all of the other problems meant that the comedy side of holiday makers who just wanted to enjoy their holiday soon  turned to anger.

The staff were amazing and we all felt very sorry for them, working in such conditions. I did complain to TUI and received some vouchers off another booking with them - what?! Never again, Thompson! They lost a loyal customer that week they allowed that ship, which was at the time, unfit for purpose to trail  round the med. I note with interest that P and O have cancelled a cruise to thr USA on Oriana due to technical issues - I know this must be incredibly disappointing but it is  much fairer than pretending all Is ok as Thomson did in 2010.

Original poster - you want to hear good things about your forthcoming cruise - and so you should! This was many moons ago and I wish you a wonderful time. I know of lots people who swear by Tui cruises so I’m sure you will have a fab holiday. We were just very unlucky in 2010 that things were handled so badly by TUI. 

15 hours ago, Lizdandy said:

I have to take issue with the member who argues that there were few real problems in that maiden season with Thompson and that people were jumping on the compensation band waggon.

Why take issue? As I said there were some genuine cases but there were many who complained without reason, like I said they claimed the theatre was shut for two days it never was, can you provide an explanation?

I know of one week (perhaps yours) where things did occur, but they were not widespread, and it actually only affected a small amount of people and they rightly shouted the loudest and got compensated, others took Thomson to the County Court and LOST, which spoke volumes.

HLM.

Thomson are no different from any other cruise line. They have their devoted followers and others who will never step foot on another of their ships again.

My first cruise was with Thomson back in 1996 when we sailed on a little ship named 'Sapphire'. I was so impressed it set me on my long journey of travelling on cruise ships. This was in the days when their ships were run by Louis Cruise Lines. Since then I have travelled twice on Thomson Spirit and have vowed, 'Never Again'. The staff were efficient as they are on most ships, the cabins a good size and gratuities included but the food and entertainment left a lot to be desired. One evening Roast Beef was on the menu and I asked how it was done expecting the answer, medium, rare etc. but no the waiter just looked and replied 'In the oven'. I had the Beef and asked for mustard expecting either a selection or the question 'Any particular kind' but no, the waiter disappeared and reappeared with a yellow plastic squeeze bottle, the type found in fast food outlets. 

As I said at the start, they have many devoted followers, but I am not one of them. Maybe with them receiving ships from RCI and Celebrity things will improve. I hope so as their Platinum land based hotels are excellent.

7 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Thomson are no different from any other cruise line. They have their devoted followers and others who will never step foot on another of their ships again.

Couldn't agree more OWT, as has been said many times they are the "Marmite" of cruiselines.

As with the Dream I also sailed on Discovery in it's maiden season with Tui last year, I found it excellent value for money and a positive step up in quality, but there are obviously better lines out there, albeit  at an additional cost.

I don't think for one minute that Tui/Marella are trying to be at the top end of cruising, unfortunately some people expect 5* cruising at 3* prices.

HLM.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:05 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

My first cruise was with Thomson back in 1996 when we sailed on a little ship named 'Sapphire'. I was so impressed it set me on my long journey of travelling on cruise ships. This was in the days when their ships were run by Louis Cruise Lines. 

As I said at the start, they have many devoted followers, but I am not one of them. Maybe with them receiving ships from RCI and Celebrity things will improve. I hope so as their Platinum land based hotels are excellent.

Our first cruise was on Princess to Alaska, but our second was on Sapphire in the Mediterranean.  Sapphire didn't compare with Star Princess, so we didn't cruise with Thomson again.  A couple of years ago, son and his family took their first cruise on Thomson and loved it.  The following year they joined us on Royal Princess and now they are Princess devotees.

I think that those who are exclusively loyal to any one line don't know what they are missing.  It may be the perfect line for them, but unless you have a basis of comparison how do you know if another might be even better?

8 hours ago, smtcan said:

I think that those who are exclusively loyal to any one line don't know what they are missing.  It may be the perfect line for them, but unless you have a basis of comparison how do you know if another might be even better?

Having now cruised on 59 different ships of 18  cruise lines smtcan I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

we have cruised on this ship when it was Airtours Sunbird, apart from the loo loosing its vacuum we had 3 very good back to back holidays.

Hubbie watched which lever the plumber pressed to recharge the system in the cupboard in corridor and after that we did the recharge ourselves.

Hope you enjoy your cruise