Steve54

P&O Policy reagrding taking alcohol on board

I've heard rumours that P&O is to stop passengers taking their own small amounts of alcohol for cabin consumption on board as from early next year. Has anyone else heard of this?

Just had the email. You can embark with a small quantity but no alcohol brought on board from ports of call to be consumed on board. Also banning fancy dress, novelty clothing and personalised slogan t shirts. That will disappoint people on short cruise stag/hen parties. 

Edited by iknowlescourier
Mistake

Iknowlescourier - thanks for that. We've not had the e-mail, but looking just now at P&O's FAQs, the rules do seem to have changed as you say. One litre bottle at start of cruise per person and that's it.

its been about for a while there a couple of other threads about it. i think theyve had a few issues particularly on the short weekend cruises with stags/hens.

that said other lines stopped personal alchol being taken on board years ago.

its not a major problem from what i can see, the drinks prices on p&o arent as high as other lines and it doent bother me less to lug on board.

We did love cruising but!

Cruise lines are realy  restricting, reducing passengers freedom! Cuts reductions all over, extra charges all over. What a downward spiral from crusing 10 years ago.

Maybe move to all inclusive with drinks included.

Or we have moved to quality hotels with all inclusive.

We are due to go on one of the cruises they have just released to replace the 50 day one cancelled on Oriana in Jan ( excellent deal for black Friday just could not resist  )  Just received all of our paperwork with the updated email. We have no issues with the new alcohol policy as P&O drinks are by far the cheapest cruise line. We are also happy re: the personalised slogan tee shirts we had someone in the dining room in the evening in October and no one stopped him coming in so hopefully people will get the message. If you want to look like that stop at home and drink cheap booze. I am not a snob and I very much like the casual evenings but I still make an effort just as I do at home when I go out for a meal.  Well done P&O, I feel both these things are long overdue.  :rolleyes:

None of these restrictions will affect us as we don't drink in our cabin and we always dress for the occasion- smart casual or formal. I must say that I prefer smart casual to formal. Anyone who wishes to dress in a tee shirt with a message, always has an option to go on a package holiday to Benidorm.

Friends of ours who are avid supporters of P&O are also moaning about the alcohol restriction. You keep hearing "I like a drink in the cabin before dinner'. If that is the case why not use room service, you can still have your drink before dinner in the comfort of your cabin.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Friends of ours who are avid supporters of P&O are also moaning about the alcohol restriction. You keep hearing "I like a drink in the cabin before dinner'. If that is the case why not use room service, you can still have your drink before dinner in the comfort of your cabin.

Because  it is all down to money and penny pinching. We have never taken alcohol onboard any ship and if we fancy a drink before dinner we go to a bar and purchase one in a better relaxed atmosphere.

i just dont get the need to take your own booze on board. if i wanted to splash out on a cabin with a balcony i can understand the attraction of a sundowner but if i am paying that much extra to get a balcony i reckon i could afford room service or something from the inroom fridge/bar. the saving in terms of money bringing your own booze on board cant be huge.

ive never understood the people who pay extra to get a balcony and then spend the entire cruise pennypinching. there were loads on the 24 nighter i went on in oct they paid for a balcony then spent the entire cruise on deck 9 by the pool getting all their drinks from the buffet on deck 9.  i assume the rest of their time on the balcony with their own booze.they were all comparing how low their on board account was they only paid for drinks in the last week when they realised they had obc left.

Well said Mich all the stuff you have to pack for your cruise why bog yourself down with bottles of drink. I like you can't understand it.

when we want a pre dinner drink then we go to the bar, post show crows nest.

Quite pleased to see the restrictions on outlandish clothing, but a little surprised by some of the posts railing against people taking small quantities of alcohol on board. We've previously taken 75cl of gin between us and topped up at a foreign port, just to have the convenience of having the odd tipple as and when one feels like it. Consequently, P&O's new limits of 1L per person at embarkation don't seem unreasonable.

I find it difficult to understand the criticism of people with possibly more limited resources who want to spend their hard earned on the benefit of a balcony cabin but want to economise on other matters. Seems like a touch of snobbery to me. Surely it's a case of each to their own, as long as they don't spoil any one else's holiday.

13 hours ago, Steve54 said:

Quite pleased to see the restrictions on outlandish clothing, but a little surprised by some of the posts railing against people taking small quantities of alcohol on board. We've previously taken 75cl of gin between us and topped up at a foreign port, just to have the convenience of having the odd tipple as and when one feels like it. Consequently, P&O's new limits of 1L per person at embarkation don't seem unreasonable.

I find it difficult to understand the criticism of people with possibly more limited resources who want to spend their hard earned on the benefit of a balcony cabin but want to economise on other matters. Seems like a touch of snobbery to me. Surely it's a case of each to their own, as long as they don't spoil any one else's holiday.

Definition of a small amount is difficult as one man complaining on P&Os Facebook page freely admits he takes 18 cans of lager onboard at Southampton and his wife takes wine that is no small amount and its because of those that this change has been brought about.

Whilst 18 cans sounds a lot, I guess it is no more than a litre of spirits.  If he is going on a 14-night cruise it is not much more than 1 can a day.  I can only assume it is a beer that he cannot get ashore whilst away.

Possibly another way to look at this is to compare the situation with a land based stay in an hotel or self catering.  I've never seen any restriction on what alcohol one can take to one's accommodation in those circumstances. On a cruise ship, the logistics preclude passengers taking any substantial amounts of alcohol anyway.

In the short time we've been cruising, we have seen changes with P&O which leave one with the impression that there is an intention to make as much money as possible out of passengers; admittedly, they are in business to maximise their income but penny pinching by the company will inevitably lead to penny pinching by customers.

2 hours ago, Steve54 said:

...In the short time we've been cruising, we have seen changes with P&O which leave one with the impression that there is an intention to make as much money as possible out of passengers; admittedly, they are in business to maximise their income but penny pinching by the company will inevitably lead to penny pinching by customers.

You will find it is the same on any middle/mass market cruise line Steve54.  You only have to look at any of the forums to see people saying the same things about Princess, Celebrity etc.   It is how they keep the base fares so low.  I saw something earlier detailing that Carnival Cruise Line has just increased the cost of their All-Inclusive payment to $51.95 per person per day plus 15% gratuity.  That is almost $60 dollars a day :o.  At least the drinks on P&O are still pretty good value.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:06 PM, Steve54 said:

I totally agree some of us have a budget and I am one of those passengers .Reality check folks it was almost £14 for two cocktails with P&O earlier this year they were tasteless , poured from a massive pre - prepared jug   and packed with too much ice not great value for money .P&O need to start offering a drinks package like many other cruise lines and give people the option .I enjoy a drink when I am on my holiday perhaps some days I'll drink a bit more than other days and that is my right and I  would happily pay for a package so that I can relax and not have to worry about excessive bills at the end of the holiday,as I would have already  paid upfront .

P&O sadly have to fall on their sword and take full responsibility for the obvious issues they have had on the 2 night binge drinking cruises.I've never been on a cruise shorter than 5 days but after chatting with a bar manager last year on one of the P &O ships he described a typical so call stag and hen cruise and told us never to book one it was  madness,  queues five deep at the bar and staff verbally abused by drunken passengers. (But  with P&O raking in the profits right ?)  A cabin steward also described a similar picture stating cleaning some of the cabins after a stag and hen cruise was a nightmare , so in essence the minority has spoilt it for the majority .When I started sailing with P&O there were none of these issues as these booze cruises were not around,sadly standards have slipped and other lines now  have more to offer so it's all down to personal choice .

For what it's worth my opinion is that it is purely down to profiteering.

There has been a steady decline with P&O since 'Carnival' took over the brand.

We've seen introduced lots more addional cost activities, such as more speciality restaurants, cooking classes, bridge tours etc, etc, you name it you pay for it.

Gratuities have more than doubled and now a dramatic change to what alcohol one can take on board.

I wouldn't mind betting that within 12 months onboard bar prices increase and they introduce the 15% service charge.

Then we'll see how happy people are with it's introduction.

HLM.

On our last three cruises on Ventura we found minibar charges debited from our account after we returned home. As we had never used the minibar it was most annoying. The first time I let it go. The second time I wrote and complained and the money was refunded. The third time it was so small I let it go again.

As far as the 1 litre limit on alcohol.  That's more than generous for a short cruise but for a month seems disproportionate.

3 hours ago, James Pontefract said:

On our last three cruises on Ventura we found minibar charges debited from our account after we returned home. As we had never used the minibar it was most annoying. The first time I let it go. The second time I wrote and complained and the money was refunded. The third time it was so small I let it go again.

As far as the 1 litre limit on alcohol.  That's more than generous for a short cruise but for a month seems disproportionate.

The minibar charging system has baffled us. On our first cruise we did use two of one item, the second of which was ordered via the ordering pad provided. We were only charged for the second one, so remain puzzled as to whether the bar as stocked is free (very unlikely) or whether charges are made when the minibar is restocked at the end of the cruise.

I like the point regarding the length of the cruise and the amount of alcohol permitted on embarkation. We would never get through 2 x 1L of spirits on a 3 day cruise, but would do on a 4 week one possibly.  Some common sense is required, as allowing 1L per person on a 2 or 3 day is likely to add to the potential of intoxicated people spoiling others' holidays.