Sign in to follow this  
suenneil

first time from Southampton

We have just booked a baltics cruise and would appreciate ideas on what to see and what to avoid.  Would you use ship tours for St Petersburg or a private tour? 

Also we have never cruised from Southampton before, always fly cruised, where do you park and any recommendations for overnight hotels would be appreciated.

We use either the Ibis or Novotel although there are plenty of other good hotels not far from the terminals such as Premier Inn, Holiday Inn & Grand Harbour. We book parking through Parking4cruises. You stay in the hotel car park that night & on cruise day drive to the terminal, drop off your luggage with the porters & then take the car to the short stay car park where it is photographed & then taken away. On return the car is waiting for you in the short stay car park. It is only a short walk from the car park to the terminal.

I like to get a park & stay booking at the Holiday Inn Waterfront in Southampton.  I often don't sleep well so ask for a front-facing room so you can see the ship arriving about 6.00am!  Their rate includes taxi transfers both ways to the terminals about 5 minutes away.

Either P&O or Private Tours are good in St Petersburg.  Private tours used to be a lot cheaper than ships' tours but St Petersburg is now so popular that the difference in prices are not so marked any more.

If you let us now what other ports you are calling at, people will be able to give you other suggestions. 

On 04/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, suenneil said:

thank you all,  we have looked at all your suggestions, at present we have booked the Hilton Ageas Bowl with parking transfers and breakfast.

now to study the excursions for this trip.

merry Christmas to everyone

Glad youve got something sorted

Merry Christmas!!

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, suenneil said:

thank you all,  we have looked at all your suggestions, at present we have booked the Hilton Ageas Bowl with parking transfers and breakfast.

now to study the excursions for this trip.

merry Christmas to everyone

update on my post, we have now changed our package and are only staying the night at the Hilton and are going to park at the dock with ABP, thank you for discount Bolsover.

On this topic, we have booked a train cruise and stay package at Holiday Inn for our cruise in December, the weather could be anything at time of year, the package is taxi pick up from the station, to the hotel, taxi to the terminal and pick up from the terminal back to station. With room and breakfast.

I am sure others have done this, but it is a first for us.

Jenjen could I ask who you have booked your package with as I am looking for an alternative to driving to Southampton but the rail travel schedules aren't available until about 12 weeks before, I know I booked with a Company years ago well in advance but I can't remember who for the life of me.

Yes the weather can be 'anything' in December .. last year we decided to leave early for Southampton as the forecast didn't sound very promising, we were so glad we did as both the M40 and A34 were closed due to accidents on the day we should have traveled.

11 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Jenjen could I ask who you have booked your package with as I am looking for an alternative to driving to Southampton but the rail travel schedules aren't available until about 12 weeks before, I know I booked with a Company years ago well in advance but I can't remember who for the life of me.

Yes the weather can be 'anything' in December .. last year we decided to leave early for Southampton as the forecast didn't sound very promising, we were so glad we did as both the M40 and A34 were closed due to accidents on the day we should have traveled.

I booked this package my self direct with Holiday Inn, yes train times are only available up to August but the timetable will then go to winter times, so I booked the package, £145 and have a ref number, when the train times are published I will contact the hotel with the time of arrival 

For us the trains to Southampton are at least hourly, So can't see a problem.

hope this helps