suenneil

MSC ?? do I or dont I book

We have been looking at MSC and they do have some good looking itineraries.  However feedback so far is not good on their service levels.

Has anyone out there had good experiences of them and had their other cruise line loyalty levels transferred to MSC too.

HELP undecided

as far as i can tell the trick may be to stick to the smaller ships? the bad feedback seems to be on the bigger ships that have more passengers and not enough crew and space to offer a good service. having said that if you go on board with an open mind and know what to expect then that may help, maybe the people posting negative reviews didnt do research and expected it to be the same as other lines they had been on. also as you say the itineraries are very good and prices tend to be very low compared to others so its swings and roundabouts

I guess you have to decide which things are important to you and then balance everything up.  I prefer a more more formal/traditional style of cruise which is why P&O and Cunard appeal to me the most when balanced against cost.  Next year I am sailing with Thomson (Marella) for the first time and I know they will not be what I am used to.  I booked however as the cruise gets me to Havana for a full day, overnight & long half-day - and at reasonable cost.

I have been lucky enough to cruise on a wide range of ships on very different cruise lines and fortunately, to date, none has been a disaster - just different. 

Andrew

Edited by afcandrew

I think it's down to yourselves what you want, every cruise you will find that some people rave about a cruise line or ship, while on the same cruise other people find so many faults you. Do wonder if they were all on the same cruise.

A holiday is what you make of it, be open minded and enjoy, don't read other people reviews of negative experiences.

Every cruise is a holiday to be enjoyed, in my opinion 

From memory I think Jane Macdonald travelled in the last series on an MSC ship so that might be a good reference point also, as other members have said some people will find fault with anything if it doesnt conform to what they consider normal so the best way is to try it for yourself

Best to try it out and see. I`ve been delighted with one RCI cruise, less so but content with 2 others, loved a Holland America one and found my recent first experience( and probably last ) with P&O to be a disaster with poorest service we`ve ever had on the  Azura. If the itinerary suits give it a go.

We have done 2 MSC Cruises in 2018 (MSC Poesia and the smaller MSC Opera) and loved them both.

The ships were clean, the cabins very comfortable, the food very good and all the staff very helpful and attentive and all spoke good English, which is the first language of the ship, though many of the guests are Italian, French or Spanish with a good smattering of English speakers from around the globe.

Their prices are good, the itineraries very varied and linked with their excellent AI Drinks package made for 2 great cruises.

You need to go with an open mind, ready to enjoy yourself and remember how much you are getting for your money and if you enjoy putting on a DJ or Posh Frock twice in 7 days, then this is maybe not for you, though many guests did dress up for the formal nights but in a European way.

We have already booked again since our experience with MSC has been so much better than with P&O and their much bigger fleet of ships offer far more options.

the cruise around the carribean will be our third with MSC on the Seaside this time cartoonman is correct in that compared to say RCI and some others it may fell not as good but you cannot beat the offers they do our carribean cruise is a balcony at an inside price

Just returned from a Northern Europe cruise on MSC Magnifica out of Southampton. We paid a very good price for the holiday and it included a restaurant and bar alcoholic and coffee drinks package for all three of us (usually third passenger only gets a soft drinks package). Itinerary was excellent, including Bruges, Hamburg and Amsterdam overnight. All the crew members were very good and professional. The balcony cabin was clean and had enough storage space for us all. But for all this, I'm not sure if we will sail with MSC again.   I wouldn't describe it as a bad experience, but it wasn't as enjoyable as other cruises we have taken. Mainly disappointed with the food in the MDR (food being a very important part of my holidays lol) and the lack of quality of entertainment in the evening, the bands and vocalists not of a high calibre and the Theatre shows only average. We were holding back on booking MSC Bellissima next year until we had tried Magnifica, and I am afraid we won't be going ahead with that now. Shame, as prices are very good.

Interesting, since on both our MSC Cruises, so far, we felt the food was very good, well presented and not too much, while the main buffet was SO much better in choice and quality than the P&O cruises we have done, not for MSC cardboard toast.

We are not fussed about the Theatre shows, which are always going to be a challenge when trying to please 5/6 different languages and particularly when you have experienced the Disney Cruise Line performances, while we would agree that some of the vocalists were average, but then again some were very good particularly one guy on a harp who was a joy to watch and listen to surprisingly!

MSC do offer excellent and varied itineraries, at really good prices, on clean ships that are well run with pleasant staff, with a hard to beat AI drinks package and from our point of view a nice dining experience and we like the continental style of their ships, as ever, if you were paying 50% more then your expectations would be higher, but we really enjoyed both our cruises with MSC and for the money paid felt we received excellent value.

As ever, it always depends on what you are looking for when cruising, which is why there has never been more choice, at all price points and it's a case of finding a cruise line, or two that works for you.

Always found MSC very good, especially the Buffet service. Different food can be found either side.  Also their all inclusive is very good value.

Edited by pennbank

we are on our third MSC cruise this time from miami on a carribean cruise. When you get the offer that comes through of a balcony for an inside cabin price it cant be beatan. As has been said by others if you pay the extra for say RCI and others then yes it does seem less remember on Bellisima you do get cirque de soleil show that yes you have to pay for but for that sort of show you would expect it.