Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Airlines Worst & Best

I recently travelled back from holiday and experienced 2 airlines, having received very differing service and comfort on both companies it prompted my question.

Which are the best to travel with & why or which have been the worst as I'm sure some of the reasons could be quite enlightening

I used to always use British AirwYs to fly to the USA. This year I tried Virgin. Not a lot to choose between them apart from BA chArge you £20 each way to pre book your seats, also they charge you to use your credit card. Food and service about the same as is the luggage allowance.

It's not so much the airlines that I have experienced problems with, more like the passengers. Hate it when people in front of me want to recline their seats. My knees are usually touching the back of their seat already, so when they try to recline I resist so that their seat won't go back. I don't see why I should have to squash up so that they can stretch out. One time my wife had to have words with a woman behind us who had the tray down and was playing Snap on it with her child, slapping their hands down hard on the tray!! 

Hi all, shorthaul we use Jet2, they are usually on time and their seats do NOT recline and come with 22kg allowance.  we try to use British Airways as a first choice for long haul  and if we can use Avios we do, however if not possible then for the Far East it would be first choice Etihad and then Emirates.

We did like Monarch for short haul but sadly no more. will never touch Ryanair.

I usually fly with Ethiad & Emirates when travelling Asia/Australia way, both amazing airlines, really couldn't fault them, especially with Emirates 30kg baggage as standard. Recently flew Virgin to USA and didn't find them as  good.  My friends parents just flew Qatar and really rates them. Their fares are really reasonable too so will try them next time. For short haul, I'd go Easyjet over Ryanair if I had the choice.

On 15/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, suenneil said:

Hi all, shorthaul we use Jet2, they are usually on time and their seats do NOT recline and come with 22kg allowance.  we try to use British Airways as a first choice for long haul  and if we can use Avios we do, however if not possible then for the Far East it would be first choice Etihad and then Emirates.

We did like Monarch for short haul but sadly no more. will never touch Ryanair.

I started collection Avios last year, not used any yet though. Is it worth it? just a little wary of it for some reason.

3 hours ago, Bumble Bee said:

I started collection Avios last year, not used any yet though. Is it worth it? just a little wary of it for some reason.

Hi Bumble Bee,

We have arranged a number of flights via Avios over the years (or Air Miles, as it used to be).  Most but not all of these, have been in Business Class. 

Although Avios can be used for other purchases, I have always found that booking flights offers the best value per point.  Our next Avios flight is already booked for next September - in and out of Venice to link up with an Azamara cruise. 

These days, we only collect through Tesco Clubcard.  As for your question - well, every little bit helps!!

DavidH

Short-haul from the UK is generally pretty much the same whoever you fly with although having flown Ryanair once, I would not put them at the top of my list.  Just flown back from Malaga with Easyjet and had an hour-long delay, sat on the tarmac.  Was quite impressed with how they looked after pax.

I am not a frequent long-haul flyer but my last long haul flights were between London & Bangkok on BA.  Went economy out and Business back and found both experiences very acceptable.  Personally I would avoid Emirates, Etihad etc because they are government owned and I prefer not to support bigoted, discriminatory regimes where possible.

On 18/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, DavidH said:

Hi Bumble Bee,

We have arranged a number of flights via Avios over the years (or Air Miles, as it used to be).  Most but not all of these, have been in Business Class. 

Although Avios can be used for other purchases, I have always found that booking flights offers the best value per point.  Our next Avios flight is already booked for next September - in and out of Venice to link up with an Azamara cruise. 

These days, we only collect through Tesco Clubcard.  As for your question - well, every little bit helps!!

DavidH

Hi David

Do you find it more value for money to use them on short haul? We've been looking at them for long haul but once you've added the taxes, it's not a cheap bargain at all.  Just trying to figure the best way to make the most of them :)

Hi Bumble Bee,

The most recent long haul flight we took using Avios was Business Class to San Diego in January 2016.  

Given that we collect Avios merely as a consequence of our routine shopping and fuel buying, it seemed a bargain to me at the time when compared to paying full fare.

Can't say as I've worked out the relative cost per point between long and short haul.  If we need to fly somewhere, I look to see if we have enough Avios first, then consider other options.  Chose not to use them on a recent trip to Denmark as Ryanair were so cheap and even I can cope in their rigidly upright seats for an hour and a half.  Wouldn't want to go much further, though.

DavidH

Only ever misplaced my luggage in all the years of flying and that was sailing from New York transatlantic to Southampton and BA kindly left one of my suitcases at Heathrow when flying to New York on Concorde. They were informed as soon as the plane landed but still took them 3 days to get my suitcase  delivered to me at my hotel.