Bettyboo

Is Oriana for the elderly?

We are due to sail on Oriana in July and was wondering what the ages are of fellow passengers? Keep reading about it being a floating geriatric or hospital vessel,and as I consider us to be youngish at 62 & 61 are we too young to be sailing on her?

Not at all Bettyboo. As an adult only ship it does have a lot of more mature passengers but there has always been a range of ages when we've been on her (6 times so far). We're also in our sixties & I would guess that that is about the average age. Anyway the older folk certainly seem to know how to have fun! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Like 2torts, we are also on her this year and in our early 60's. We also have 2 sets of friends with us who are in their 50's.

the average age will depend on when you travel and what the Itinery is. A Med cruise seems to attract a younger age group to the Baltic or cruises over 17 nights out of school holiday periods.

At the end of the day the holiday is what you make of it. - Enjoy. 

Bettyboo

We are not yet 60 and have been on Oriana for 3 wonderful cruises, the most recent one 18 nights last July.  Is Oriana for old people? No not at all, but if your looking for a chilled out, relaxing break with great entertainment on a lovely ship, definitely one for you.  As you are going in the summer months you will love the open deck spaces to relax and enjoy the sun, you will always find somewhere to relax and enjoy the sun on deck.

As has been said, yes the passengers are more mature, but the fun nights you have in the Lords Tavern keeps you bubbling along and as Oriana is a smaller ship, you actually get to meet people and get to know them, if thats what you like.  If your looking for a bouncing lively holiday with younger people its not Oriana I am afraid, our holidays are chilled and we love the ambience Oriana offers....she is an old lady but a majestic one, enjoy your cruise on her, I know we always do.

G

I first sailed aboard Oriana some 15 years ago in my early forties and was last on-board last June.  She is not a raucous party ship but there have always been a good number of pax in their fifties or younger when I have been on her.  She is my favourite ship and I hope P&O keep her as long as possible.

afcandrew

I think Oriana will always be my favourite ship, she has a very loyal following and despite her misgivings I think the experience and the general mood and atmosphere on her makes her a hit.  I will be sailing on her again and I think P&O will keep her for that very fact, I wish they would replace Adonia with another Adult Only ship. perhaps Aurora or Oceana would fill the gap.  Adult only cruises to the sun in 2019 are severely restricted now there are only two Adult only ships....hope P&O are listening to their customers!!!

On 1/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, GordoRFC said:

afcandrew

I think Oriana will always be my favourite ship, she has a very loyal following and despite her misgivings I think the experience and the general mood and atmosphere on her makes her a hit.  I will be sailing on her again and I think P&O will keep her for that very fact, I wish they would replace Adonia with another Adult Only ship. perhaps Aurora or Oceana would fill the gap.  Adult only cruises to the sun in 2019 are severely restricted now there are only two Adult only ships....hope P&O are listening to their customers!!!

I too would be quite happy if P&O added another adult-only ship but I think it unlikely.  P&O may sometimes listen to their pax but I think the general direction of the company is very much directed by Carnival - hence the ever-bigger ships.  Mind you, some of the Carnival lines stand their ground - Holland America for instance, whose newest ship is still under 100,000 tons.

My hope is that they do add another adult only ship, Aurora or Oceana for example as they will have a Brinannia11 coming soon, and if not, those who cruise most often and all year round, namely more mature and elderly retired people, vote with their feet. 

P&O have a monopoly really on Adult Only ships, but I read Virgin's new ship which launches next year is going to be adult only and around 2500 passengers, so others are cottoning on to it.  Saga also have a lovely new ship coming so P&O had better up their game or lose the faithful Adult Only cruisers, but thats just my own thoughts :)

Saga have two new ships coming, Cruise and Maritime do 'Adult Only' as do various other cruise lines. To answer the original question, it depends on what you call elderly as there are many 70 year olds that could put 50 year olds to shame. I have been on Oriana several times and would estimate the average age to be between 60 and 70.

On 20/01/2018 at 11:37 AM, GordoRFC said:

My hope is that they do add another adult only ship, Aurora or Oceana for example as they will have a Brinannia11 coming soon, and if not, those who cruise most often and all year round, namely more mature and elderly retired people, vote with their feet. 

P&O have a monopoly really on Adult Only ships, but I read Virgin's new ship which launches next year is going to be adult only and around 2500 passengers, so others are cottoning on to it.  Saga also have a lovely new ship coming so P&O had better up their game or lose the faithful Adult Only cruisers, but thats just my own thoughts :)

You seem to have missed out on Fred Olsen. Although not classed as adult only, I have only once seen a family with two small girls (although the entertainment staff treated them as special).  We have enjoyed excellent food, entertainment and company on these small shops. My big wish for P&O is that they give us more ships with retractable roofs. Several windy rainy days at sea on Azura make me long for Aurora or the Holland America Niew Amsterdam

The description of the two new mega-ships says "Four swimming pools (three outside and one inside)".  Not sure if the inside one will be under glass or really inside, like the old Ocean Liners.

We’ve been on Oriana three times and without a doubt it is a ship for the elderly.

In saying that it is not the age that makes it what it is, it’s the attitude. We sailed on it last summer from Southampton and we found such entrenched old fashioned attitudes that we were shocked. Casual racism about the staff, I heard passengers saying that they didn’t like the waiters because they were Moslem, (which is totally erroneous) attitudes  to young people and people from other parts of the UK, Liverpool, Newcastle, Scotland, Wales, people who were overweight, it was quite surprising.

Some years ago we had a week on Oriana and there was perhaps a suggestion of this, then we did a leg of the world cruise on Oriana and didn’t see anything of that nature, but perhaps it depends on the destination. Perhaps older people like to sail from Southampton.

I am seventy so can’t claim to be a youngster but other passengers and their attitudes definitely impact on your holiday. We don’t intend to sail on an adults only ship again although we like smaller ships. We have never had a problem with hordes of children running amok if we avoid school holiday times.

Oriana is probably my favourite. As said b4 hope P&O are reading these because I agree they should make Aurora adults only  as well since we lost Adonia.  I cannot manage the bigger ships because of disability and love adults only ones.  Oriana has a wonderful Al Fresco eating place for breakfast and lunch absolutely superb.

I don't age is relevant,  we are under 60yrs of age, we prefer the smaller ships which sadly P&O continue to ignore their passengers. We are going as a party of 5 later in the year, this includes taking our nephew with us and he is in his early twenties. (This is not the first P & O cruise he has done, he has been working his way down in size of ship so it will be interesting to hear his comments. I do not think age is relevant as long as you have good company and the right attitude.

Hello,

we are regular cruisers on Oriana because we prefer adult only ships with a good dance floor. Oriana fits this bill perfectly yes the average age may be high but we have never had a problem with this, you get a good range of ages and like all ships you do what is good for you

We were aboard Oriana last year.  We have cruised with ship a number of times simply because we prefer to cruise 'child free'.  We've had our children (and we jolly well couldn't have afford to have taken them back in the day.

However, I was amazed at the number of crutches; walking sticks/aids but more than that I have never seen so many motorised scooters.  I understand that P&O are restricting these nuisances by only allowing passengers who have booked with a disabled cabin.  A very large (appropriately) number of fat people also.

We're only in our 40s/50s but love Oriana.

True the age demographic is mostly 40 plus, but age doesn't really have any bearing on what type of ship it is.  The unique thing about P&O is they have ship's for all tastes. 

Oriana is a laid back ship. It's not raucous, there aren't wild parties. But that's why most people choose to sail on her. 

I think people need to decide what they want from a cruise and choose their ship accordingly.  

5 hours ago, Pitcrew said:

We’ve been on Oriana three times and without a doubt it is a ship for the elderly.

In saying that it is not the age that makes it what it is, it’s the attitude. We sailed on it last summer from Southampton and we found such entrenched old fashioned attitudes that we were shocked. Casual racism about the staff, I heard passengers saying that they didn’t like the waiters because they were Moslem, (which is totally erroneous) attitudes  to young people and people from other parts of the UK, Liverpool, Newcastle, Scotland, Wales, people who were overweight, it was quite surprising.

Some years ago we had a week on Oriana and there was perhaps a suggestion of this, then we did a leg of the world cruise on Oriana and didn’t see anything of that nature, but perhaps it depends on the destination. Perhaps older people like to sail from Southampton.

I am seventy so can’t claim to be a youngster but other passengers and their attitudes definitely impact on your holiday. We don’t intend to sail on an adults only ship again although we like smaller ships. We have never had a problem with hordes of children running amok if we avoid school holiday times.

The average age of those on board Oriana is almost bound to be higher than many of the ships in the P&O fleet as it is an adult only ship. By cutting out anyone under 18 then the average age must go up.

I am suprised about specific comments re passenger attitude as I have been on her 3 times and have noticed no more "old fashioned" attitudes than I have on Aurora (5 cruises) or Azura. In fact the worst passenger behaviour witnessed was on Azura which is why we now only sail on the smaller ships of the fleet. I cannot believe people still can refer to Cabin Stewards as "room boys" which is what I read on another social media site the other day - not on Oriana. In fact, if you listen to discussions on any ship I am sure you will find evidence of racist comments during a cruise.

we are off on Oriana again this summer with friends so, as we are all under 65, it will help to bring the average age of that cruise down.

My wife  &  I  like  adult  only  ships.  Why?  Because  people  talk  to  each  other  &  don't  have  their  heads  buried  in  Iphones.  Consequently,  the  ambience/atmosphere  is  a  lot  more  friendly.

21 hours ago, Principal Executive said:

We were aboard Oriana last year.  We have cruised with ship a number of times simply because we prefer to cruise 'child free'.  We've had our children (and we jolly well couldn't have afford to have taken them back in the day.

However, I was amazed at the number of crutches; walking sticks/aids but more than that I have never seen so many motorised scooters.  I understand that P&O are restricting these nuisances by only allowing passengers who have booked with a disabled cabin.  A very large (appropriately) number of fat people also.

What has a person's weight got to do with anything? I think you are extremely rude - and Yes I am "FAT" but I have never found it bothered anyone else - and I've been on over 30 cruises with various cruise lines and have made some good friends with whom I am still in contact. I need to lose weight - you need a complete character transformation!! 

4 hours ago, kensington143 said:

What has a person's weight got to do with anything? I think you are extremely rude - and Yes I am "FAT" but I have never found it bothered anyone else - and I've been on over 30 cruises with various cruise lines and have made some good friends with whom I am still in contact. I need to lose weight - you need a complete character transformation!! 

As this was that person's first post on the forum, I suspect that they are a Troll.  Best ignored.  Good to hear you have made a lot of friends cruising - that is one of the lovely things about it.