Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

New Ship for P&O

Recommended Posts

Last night at the UK Cruise Awards in London P&O announced a further new ship to be launched in 2022. This will be another 180,000 tonne and sister ship to that being launched in 2020.

In view of this will they be outing one of their smaller ships? Are they going to try and compete with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian in attracting young families away from the land based resorts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be a combination of trying to attract younger families and sell off the smaller, less efficient, ships. In view of all the comments recently re Oriana she could well be the first to go replaced by an efficient vessel without vibrations! I am affraid to say traditional cruising is changing and we have to move with the times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruise chef said:

Hi OWT, its looking more and more like GaryPennington's  thread we both answered to is even more relevant after this announcement or should this reduce the price as more revenue / less costs

With the new ships it means that P&O will have to sell 5,200 cabins per ship. That an extra 20,800 passengers about every 2 weeks or over 540,000 a year, yes, I think there will be a few bargain prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 7:07 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

With the new ships it means that P&O will have to sell 5,200 cabins per ship. That an extra 20,800 passengers about every 2 weeks or over 540,000 a year, yes, I think there will be a few bargain prices.

5200 cabins per ship I am confused by this number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

5200 cabins per ship I am confused by this number.

You have every right to be confused because it is 5200 passengers not cabins. It will be very similar to AidaNova and this will have 2500 cabins, so not quite as big as OWT speculated.

Terrierian, I understand from the advance publicity, and the computer renderings, that it will have a wide wrap round promenade deck, but this will host the alfresco areas of various specialty restaurants so you may have to walk through these areas to take your daily constitutional, and I do hope that this is a level area as the renderings show and does not have the terraced steps that the Aida ship will have, otherwise I will find it impossible to push my wife's wheelchair around.

The new ships also have a sky dome on the upper decks housing day time pool activities and night time entertainment.

For further details check out the P&O website.   http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/new-ship/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only ship I like with P&O is the Aurora, I'd be happy for that to become adult only. I'll admit I've never tried the larger ships as they've never appealed to me. Far too many people.:( It looks very much as if P&O are trying to compete with other companies such as the Royal Caribbean. I'm trying Cunard this year so perhaps our next cruise with P&O will be our last.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tally said:

The only ship I like with P&O is the Aurora, I'd be happy for that to become adult only. I'll admit I've never tried the larger ships as they've never appealed to me. Far too many people.:( It looks very much as if P&O are trying to compete with other companies such as the Royal Caribbean. I'm trying Cunard this year so perhaps our next cruise with P&O will be our last.  

I agree that Aurora should be adult only but not at the cost of losing the tiered back when they alter the children’s areas. A tiered ship adds character in my view. I think they made a mistake when they added the extra cabins on Arcadia near the crows nest. It was nice being able to wander around the top of the ship and having that extra seating area up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

I agree that Aurora should be adult only but not at the cost of losing the tiered back when they alter the children’s areas. A tiered ship adds character in my view. I think they made a mistake when they added the extra cabins on Arcadia near the crows nest. It was nice being able to wander around the top of the ship and having that extra seating area up there.

Pesky Pirate, this is where we disagree since the cabins were added to the sun deck on Arcadia, we have not had any other cabin. We have been on her 6 times since they were added and love them. You can still walk round and sit on the top deck as they are above the sun deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate big ships, so will not be booking on the new big ones, and I know lots of others who avoid it.

After many many years of cruising maybe our days are numbered unless we go to the other lines who have smaller ships that sail from Southampton, It won't be overnight that this will happen so I will not worry yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 0:41 PM, Pesky Pirate said:

I agree that Aurora should be adult only but not at the cost of losing the tiered back when they alter the children’s areas. A tiered ship adds character in my view. I think they made a mistake when they added the extra cabins on Arcadia near the crows nest. It was nice being able to wander around the top of the ship and having that extra seating area up there.

No reason to lose the tiered stern PP.  When Oriana became Adult-Only, all the area occupied by the children's facilities became extra cabins, with one or two getting in-hull balconies.  These cabins have easy access to the stern D Deck terrace.

Arcadia's stern was altered in appearance when they added extra cabins but never had quite the same look as Oriana & Aurora as I believe they were originally all cabin balconies anyway.  This modification was made to all the Vista Class ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why P&O feel the need to go in this direction in commercial terms but the new ships will not be for me.  With the vast increase in capacity, I cannot see how they will be able to retain all the current fleet.  I actually think Oceana may be the first to go with a likely move to P&O Australia.  Oriana likely to go then but not sure where to.  If P&O are happy to jettison their longstanding 'maturer' passenger base, she could go off to Fred Olsen or CMV.  If they want to keep those pax, they would need to sell her overseas or scrap her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2018 at 6:58 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Personally I think it will be Oriana to go, but where to ;);)

Aurora and Arcadia as the adult only ships  ;);)

 

As I said in a post earlier I think this will be what happens.

P&O if they are going to survive have to, like all cruise lines, appeal to the younger generation which means getting them away from land resorts and onto the ships. The only way they can do that is by offering at least similar to what they get on land and this means bigger ships with more facilities.

As for the current loyal following, as with all cruise lines, they will gradually go to that cruise ship in the sky and will need replacing and this can only come from the younger generation.

As always, just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very large ships are not for us too impersonal. We’ve done a few cruises on different lines and later this year we’re going to try one on Britannia then another on a Marella ship which was previously owned by RCI. Last year we tried Queen Elizabeth very nice ship lots of room/space but a bit too formal.

We’ve found one of the snags with very large ships is that they can be too big to get into many ports so you end up at a container port, oh deep joy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RogtheDodge said:

Very large ships are not for us too impersonal. We’ve done a few cruises on different lines and later this year we’re going to try one on Britannia then another on a Marella ship which was previously owned by RCI. Last year we tried Queen Elizabeth very nice ship lots of room/space but a bit too formal.

We’ve found one of the snags with very large ships is that they can be too big to get into many ports so you end up at a container port, oh deep joy!

Well, you certainly won't find Marella too formal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 7:07 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

With the new ships it means that P&O will have to sell 5,200 cabins per ship. That an extra 20,800 passengers about every 2 weeks or over 540,000 a year, yes, I think there will be a few bargain prices.

In your dreams.   they will continue to increase prices as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these new ships are more like a floating fair ground than a cruise ship. They are all moving away from the older passengers. Do they not think that one day the kids leave home? We need adult only ships and we need them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrierian said:

All these new ships are more like a floating fair ground than a cruise ship. They are all moving away from the older passengers. Do they not think that one day the kids leave home? We need adult only ships and we need them now.

According to the statistics used by cruise lines adult only ships are not the way forward. Yes there are a very small minority of cruisers, mainly P&O, who want adult only but are there enough to warrant adult only ships. Only my opinion as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×