Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bumble Bee

Would you pay to reserve your sunbed?

40 posts in this topic

I've seen recently that Thomas Cook are starting to offer a service where you can pay to reserve your sunbed. They will send a pool plan a few days before you travel for you to pick your sunspot. I know sunbed wars do happen and people take it very seriously :lol: but would you pay £22 to reserve your sunbed? Is this something you want to see introduced on cruises?

I don't really like the idea. If some one is staying at a hotel for 2 weeks & reserves the best beds then someone else who's only there for a week doesn't get a chance. And what happens to the beds if the folk who reserved them go out for the day - would they just stay empty even if some people couldn't get beds or would they be allowed on them & then fight it out if the others returned? It will need a lot of policing till people get used to it. We've stayed at a hotel that didn't open the pool area till 8.00am & another that  removed anything left unattended on beds before 9.00am and this seemed to work well.

We stayed in a hotel years ago in Cyprus where your sunbed was assigned to the room you booked. No doubt those in superior sea view rooms perhaps got the better positioned sunbeds but it worked very well and wheneve rwe went down to the pool at varying times the sunbeds were always available.

B&M likes this

17 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

We stayed in a hotel years ago in Cyprus where your sunbed was assigned to the room you booked. No doubt those in superior sea view rooms perhaps got the better positioned sunbeds but it worked very well and wheneve rwe went down to the pool at varying times the sunbeds were always available.

We stayed in this hotel. I believe it was Alexander the Great in Pathos. The system worked really well. When people went home you were able to change to their sun beds if you wanted to.

Sub-Lt Phillips likes this

I don't use the sunbeds on the ship as I don't enjoy lying in the sun. Reading the number of complaints from people on forums about passengers reserving sunbeds on ships I think it's a good idea. However I can just imagine the outcry from people about another 'rip off' from P&O.;)

Apparently it will only be a certain % of the sunbeds that will be able to be reserved, leaving the rest free for anyone to use.

Not every day on cruise is warm enough to have a sun bed all, so why pay before you sail?

what works for land base holiday, would not work on cruise, just my opinion 

bac likes this

It does sound like another way of separating the holiday maker from their wallet. If the poolstaff on ships and at resorts actually did their jobs properly and enforced the policy of not reserving sunbeds this charge would not be necessary. Certainly on cruise ships if they enforced the non reservation rule everyone would be happy and where they do enforce it, it virtually becomes un-necessary as regulars know they will have their their towels and belongings left on the beds removed.

How long before we see "Free All Inclusive, Free On Board Spend and Free Sunbed Package" :D:D

FannyAnn, Anne Mumford, HLM and 1 other like this

23 hours ago, Bumble Bee said:

but would you pay £22 to reserve your sunbed?

If it ever became possible to have your private sun lounger on a cruise for £22 there would be no shortage of takers.

23 hours ago, Bumble Bee said:

Is this something you want to see introduced on cruises?

But I don;t see it ever happening on a ship.  Instead I think you will continue to see cabanas and the like but at rather more than £22 per cruise.

31 minutes ago, Shetlander said:

If it ever became possible to have your private sun lounger on a cruise for £22 there would be no shortage of takers.

But I don;t see it ever happening on a ship.  Instead I think you will continue to see cabanas and the like but at rather more than £22 per cruise.

Don't underestimate the cruise lines if they see an opportunity to extract more money from the passenger. 

Sub-Lt Phillips and bac like this

I swing backwards and forwards on this issue - I see the sunbed wars regularly on hols and can see the benefit for some people of knowing they have a sunbed bought and paid for - after all, we buy and pay for almost everything else these days!  But also, it feels a bit crass and so I can't imagine it happening on one of the lovely ships I've sailed on...

In a word, no.  I feel this would just lead to more ways to make money.  Pay more to be near the pool and less to be up a deck?  Pay more to get a luxury padded lounger rather than a bog-standard one?  Pay more for a side table?

Imho, they have already introduced enough 'extras' that have a fee attached...

I wouldn't pay for a sun bed.....not a chance. I remember going away a few years ago to somewhere in Turkey and the owner hated people leaving towels on beds to 'reserve' them, he would throw peoples towels into the pool if they were left there....good on him i say!

bac, HLM, Anne Mumford and 2 others like this

I quite like the idea. Being able to roll out of bed at any time, without battling for a sunbed in a peak spot by the pool, is well worth £22 of my money.

On 31/01/2018 at 5:01 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Don't underestimate the cruise lines if they see an opportunity to extract more money from the passenger. 

They already charge us for exclusive use of a sun bed?? when we book a balcony cabin are we not paying extra for those two seats....Davybe

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I think the only way to reserve a sunbed or indeed a theatre seat aboard a cruise ship is to sit on it.

If you leave it, then someone else can use it, and you will need to find another one ( which under this system would always be available).

Sub-Lt Phillips, bac and suenneil like this

On several po ships you can pay to go in certain areas with nicer sunbeds and more space.  Which is quite expensive.  They call it the spa area.  I know they have it on azura and Adonia  

10 minutes ago, badmintongirl said:

On several po ships you can pay to go in certain areas with nicer sunbeds and more space.  Which is quite expensive.  They call it the spa area.  I know they have it on azura and Adonia  

Good point badmintongirl. They also have special areas on MSC, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and several others. However the advantage of these areas is that you are not laid out in rows like sardines in a tin.

This is the most ridiculous idea. Next will be reserving seats in the theatre followed by seats in the various bars etc. but hush the cruising lines are not making enough money out of us holiday cruisers already - are they?  

afcandrew, Sub-Lt Phillips and HLM like this

52 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Good point badmintongirl. They also have special areas on MSC, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and several others. However the advantage of these areas is that you are not laid out in rows like sardines in a tin.

But the disadvantage is that these areas take up a large chunk of deck, making the rest of it even more crowded for those who don't wish to pay for a "Retreat" or a "Sanctuary"!

On 31/01/2018 at 11:21 AM, Tally said:

I don't use the sunbeds on the ship as I don't enjoy lying in the sun. Reading the number of complaints from people on forums about passengers reserving sunbeds on ships I think it's a good idea. However I can just imagine the outcry from people about another 'rip off' from P&O.;)

Or, Here's another problem that we can make money from!

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, MikeLowry said:

I quite like the idea. Being able to roll out of bed at any time, without battling for a sunbed in a peak spot by the pool, is well worth £22 of my money.

I think it's just too much and another way of extracting money for what should be included in price.