Sign in to follow this  
alwood

alwood

just returned from cruise on venture,sailed on 4th jan,embarcation was a nightmare,we arrived at terminal at 2-30pm  and did not get to cabin untill 8 pm,worst cruise ever,  the ship is very shabby,cabin more like a 2 star hotel, p&o need to get their act together or they will lose the loyalty of people who have had several past cruises with them,on board were moaning about charge for room service, the ship is in for re fit soon,i just hope it is improved when we will be aboard in september

She is due to have a refit in March this year.  Do I recall that she had a lot of Norovirus over Christmas & New Year?  If so, she would have been having a deep clean.  They normally contact pax due on board and ask them to delay their arrival.

We were on the Christmas /New year cruise, We were late boarding due to ship having a deep clean, and the ship had a rough passage through the BOB ,we still had the Virus plus flu and cold quite widespread over the whole cruise,

We left Madeira later then scheduled due to the Captain wanting to avoid another rough trip through the BoB we arrived in Soton About 6 hours late and did not get of the ship until 2pm .

I believe the Stabilisers were damaged on the cruise before ours, hence them being very causes going through the storm...Davybe

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It wouldnt be a P&O cruise unless there wasnt lots of moans.

P&O deserve every moan they get ,the food just about as bland as you can get ,Ship Tatty in places, Cabin service good ,waiter service patchy poor at times due to waiter's poor English? No Wine waiters Just hope your table waiter can spell the wine you want?

Over the years we have had very good to very poor cruises with P&O ,and constantly good cruises with Celebrity It can be done...Davybe

Have to say having had our first P&O cruise in the Caribbean on Azura before Christmas we would never use them again. yes we were compensated for having no hot and cold water in our cabin for 28 hours but that didn`t extend to the poor service, below average food that was often not hot or in the case of fish was overcooked every time! One time the Head Waiter had the cheek to challenge me and a passenger on the next table "What makes you say the lobster is overcooked?". When you cannot get it out of its shell without a battle and it is chewy it`s overcooked!!! A few times I was knocked aside by staff wheeling trollies down the corridors and I am afraid the whole experience left us regretting our purchase. So far I`d place the companies we`ve enjoyed most in order as 1. Holland America 2. RCI 3. Louis Crystal - a small Cuban cruise and lastly P&O who we are unlikely to go with again.

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

We were on the Christmas /New year cruise, We were late boarding due to ship having a deep clean, and the ship had a rough passage through the BOB ,we still had the Virus plus flu and cold quite widespread over the whole cruise,

We left Madeira later then scheduled due to the Captain wanting to avoid another rough trip through the BoB we arrived in Soton About 6 hours late and did not get of the ship until 2pm .

I believe the Stabilisers were damaged on the cruise before ours, hence them being very causes going through the storm...Davybe

That explains the late boarding on 4th Jan then.

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

P&O deserve every moan they get ,the food just about as bland as you can get ,Ship Tatty in places, Cabin service good ,waiter service patchy poor at times due to waiter's poor English? No Wine waiters Just hope your table waiter can spell the wine you want?

Over the years we have had very good to very poor cruises with P&O ,and constantly good cruises with Celebrity It can be done...Davybe

I think perhaps consistency across the fleet is patchy.  I sailed on Aurora and Oriana last year and had two great cruises.  No problems whatsoever and food and service were both very good.  Both of these were infinitely superior to that I experienced last month on Marella Discovery 2 in the Caribbean.

Blandness of food is of course very subjective - what one person finds tasty, another finds bland.  Aurora and Oriana both still had wine waiters last year.

8 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I think perhaps consistency across the fleet is patchy.  I sailed on Aurora and Oriana last year and had two great cruises.  No problems whatsoever and food and service were both very good.  Both of these were infinitely superior to that I experienced last month on Marella Discovery 2 in the Caribbean.

Blandness of food is of course very subjective - what one person finds tasty, another finds bland.  Aurora and Oriana both still had wine waiters last year.

We have just returned from Azura and all was good but I have to. Confirm that wine waiters are in process of being removed and some people did not get their wine until they had finished their meal.

21 hours ago, afcandrew said:

We got told about them getting rid of the wine waiters by the wine waiter we had on Britannia ,he is now working in the Metropolis Bar as a waiter? I presume the Commission they got will go to the table waiters.

When the new Menus came out we were on Oceana and the food was OK if you avoided the meat(To Tough to eat) last year we sailed on Britannia food overall not bad, and the meat edible, Christmas Ventura all edible just bland and lots of green bean's. But your right they need to provide a constant standard across the fleet.We were told that they were now buying in a much prepared food as possible ,which would account for some of the poor food....Davybe

19 minutes ago, Ahoy said:

Really don't understand it when that many people moan about P&O but keep booking more cruises with them? Can't be that bad then can they. If they are that bad why not pick another cruise line?

A very good point Ahoy and I think many do pick another cruise line. Having the good fortune to travel with many cruise lines I meet quite a lot of ex P&O cruisers but in fairness the majority seem to change to Cunard or Royal Caribbean. This of course is only my personal experience, others may have different views. 

Perhaps they enjoy it really but complain to see if they can get any compensation. I haven’t been with them for a while, the last one I did wasn’t bad, nothing to complain about, but then I go with the flow.

3 hours ago, Ahoy said:

Really don't understand it when that many people moan about P&O but keep booking more cruises with them? Can't be that bad then can they. If they are that bad why not pick another cruise line?

18 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I am back with P&O next month so all ready for the moaners, complainers, how much did you pay, are you a regular P&O cruiser, isn't it a lovely ship, P&O are the best, a friend of a friend told me, standards have dropped brigade. :lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Out of all the cruises i've been on, P&O and other lines, P&O seem to be full of the moaners! Must have nothing better to do then be grumpy all the time haha!

In our experience Cunard don't get as many moaners funny enough never had any moaners on the QE2 I think a lot of moaners are very regular cruisers with P and O I think that's how they get the enjoyment from the cruise, maybe they think it makes them look like they are high rollers when in fact they are not, or ever have been.

just my opinion