Sign in to follow this  
Jennyrose

Jenny

Hello there,

I'm Jenny and I currently live just outside of Bath in a small village. I lost my second husband a number of years ago and got into cruising to get some company whilst enjoying the sights of the world. 

I'm currently trying to decide where next to go on a cruise - I think I would like something more 'interesting' destination wise as I've done Northern Europe and the Caribbean so far. Perhaps even Australia or South Africa as I've always dreamed of going there.

When I'm not planning cruises I like to visit my daughter and her children who luckily live close to the sea in Wales. I have a son too, he is getting married to his partner in two years time and I am enjoying helping the guys to plan the 'big day' even though they currently live in Spain due to my son's job. I like to go for coffees with my friends and enjoy curling up with a good book and a glass of Pinot!

Guest Christine

Hi Jennyrose! :)

I also lost my husband a few years back and have since experienced some fantastic cruises with my children and their young ones. I am going on a solo cruise sailing from Barcelona soon and I must confess I'm a little nervous! But from what I've read I won't be alone, and will hopefully meet some fellow like-minded cruise enthusiasts on board.

Has anyone else ever done a solo cruise before? Any tips?

I unfortunately haven't cruised to Australia or South Africa, but I can highly recommend a Panama Canal cruise. I sailed on the Celebrity Century a couple of years ago, taking in San Diego and California, on to Mexico, Costa Rica and Columbia...amongst others! It was by far my favourite cruise due to the fantastic destinations and cultures involved.

If you are undecided I would start by looking at your favourite cruise lines to see if they have any destinations on offer that appeal to you. Let us know what you decide!

I'm happy to have found another Pinot fan! I also enjoy spending time with my children and grandchildren, although they only live a couple of roads away :)  I also volunteer at my local youth centre and enjoy going swimming (followed by a naughty hot chocolate) with my friends.

Christine

Hello ladies!

My names Rob, I'm 38 currently living in West London - how do you do?

Christine, I have solo cruised and it is a really great way of meeting people. The best thing to make sure you do is...join in! You will meet so many people sailing solo like yourself, and you can make friends so easily. Most ship have meets with other solo cruisers which you can go to and I found it easy to make friends.

My top tips are to go to the meets (if they have any) and if not be sure you will meet people anyway! Most of the time management will even assign you to a dinner table with a bunch of other single cruisers which is always fun.

Make sure you check prices! Most ships do not have solo fares and will charge you a high price for a room when it is still only single occupancy.

Guest Christine

Thanks so much for the advice Rob!

From what I've read and heard it seems that I won't be the only single cruiser on board - phew! And I will definitely be going to the meets.

I think I will start a new topic on solo cruising so others can get involved! :D

Christine