Diane Lowton

Plated Meals On Ventura

Have just got back after two weeks cruising the Med on Ventura had great time but evening meal is now plated meals no silver service. The portions were small especially for the men and we had to keep ordering extra chips to fill us up. Also the choice of vegetables was terrible nearly every meal we had under cooked French beans!!! When I couldn't stand the sight of more beans our lovely waiter fetched me some peas. I just hope this is not going to be the same on all P & O ships. 

P&O isn't really  Silver Service at present  as the meat/fish etc arrives on the plate and the waiters then serve the veg and any sauces. I seem to remember plated meals were introduced some time ago and then we seemed to go back to waiters serving veg again.I agree that sometimes the veg can be a bit repetitive. I remember on cruise where we seemed to have courgettes and broccoli for every meal. A quick mention of this  to the restaurant manager on the way out one evening and we had different veg for the rest of the cruise.

Guest Solent Richard

I think that as long as additional vegetables are available to order there really isn't a problem.

Dining really shouldn't be a case of 'how much can you get on your plate' after all.

9414486158_5d64444ed3_z.jpg

For me this Entrée on Cunard is perfect, a fillet of halibut and a small selection of vegetables, served a la  Nouvelle Cuisine.

Live to eat, not eat to live.

I was on Ventura in June with four friends, all novice cruisers but very well travelled people, and everyone was very pleased with the food - both quality and quantity. They were also very pleased with the menu choices.I've no problem at all with the main part of the dish being plated but do like my veg served. 

As for small portions - well how anyone on a cruise can be hungry is a mystery to me.

cheers

Harvey

Like Harvey, I can't imagine how anyone can go on a cruise and be hungry.  I think I forget what hunger is by the end of a cruise!

I'm sure if you wanted some more veg, potatoes or whatever they'd be happy to bring it.  Most waiters are quite accommodating; I've seen people order two starters instead of a starter and a soup/salad (that might have been me...) and when indecisive about items I've been offered both before (I sensibly declined). 

Hungry on a cruise ship? Never heard that one before. If you ever want anything above the normal serving you usually just have to ask or at least that is my experience. There is no reason why you should have to order extra chips. As for vegetables being under cooked I often find that it is a matter of how you like them done. Personally I like to have a small amount of 'firmness' to my vegetables. Can't stand them over cooked. I have not been impressed with the food on our last 2 trips with P&O so will probably give them a miss and stick with my favourites, Celebrity and RCI.

Hi  Silver service is no longer "in vogue" very few top dining venues have employed this type of presentation for the last five to ten years,   All the 6* cruises lines use plate service.  I too cannot imagine anybody going hungry on a cruise but the lack of quality is a problem but this is understandable; prices have fallen and so this must be reflected in the service given.

It was only a matter of time before plated service was brought in, the poor waiters have more tables to look after and rushed around like headless chickens so maybe now they will get time to have a quick chat like they used to.

If the meals are to small just ask for more and the waiters will know who likes bigger plates of food and after a couple of days will do it automatically. We are all happy to pay less for our cruises but we still expect the same as before, but with cheap prices something has to give.

I would love to meet the person who manages to go hungry on a cruise ship, is that even possible?

Guest shilly3191

P&O have not done proper "silver service" for a number of years just bought the main meat/fish plated and then just served vegetables after. Nothing worse on a table of 8 waiting for everybody to be served vegetables and then your meal is cold.

We also found we had grean beans most evenings on the Azura in the dining room as well in September.we don't like them so got a bit of a joke about them.

Guest Solent Richard

We also found we had grean beans most evenings on the Azura in the dining room as well in September.we don't like them so got a bit of a joke about them.

Do you mean like these...

10573036406_ac2aeb6e1d_z.jpg

Cooked al dente they are superb, especially when they are my own home grown.... 

10572992895_d0a1b43cc9_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Must admit to being rather partial to Runner Beans as shown in one part of your basket Richard. Certainly prefer them to Green Beans

I grow them all. But ultimately my favourite bean is the Broad Bean...

7163705560_90e4027e13_z.jpg

Next years seeds will be going in next week for a hardened early crop.

I really do not understand this question about plated meals on P&O.

I went on on Arcadia this year, the food was not good, but what they served was a main dish on the plate including potatoes, then they brought more pototoes and a vegetable which was ratatouille for weeks on end. Now this is not silver service.

I sailed on P&O. many, times many years ago and was a POSH member in the good old days of P&O before they went downmarket.

Those were the days when you got real silver service, with white gloved waiters. they would,bring a side table and serve each person indivually. All from silver chureens. these were the days of silver service and these days went at least 20 years ago. So unless you have sailed on P&O pre Carnival days and maybe 20 years ago, you have not had silver service.

Cunard also bring the the main dish plated and vegetable are served separate by the waiter. I have no problem with system and I always request extra vegetables in advance as I do not eat potatoes.This is never a problem.

In fairness to P&O. On the Arcadia world voyage this year food was boring, but I did ask for salmon often which was off menu and I got it each time.Plus my own green vegetables.

just returned from med cruise on Ventura I love green beans but must have ordered the wrong meals because i did not get them once. I like the idea of the plated meals, the waiters now have to serve more people to keep the costs down.The food is served quicker and is therefore hotter, you don't have to wait for the waiter to serve 8 people with veg before you can eat your meal. If there are two main courses that you can't decide between you can look at the veg they are served with,and instead of the choice of one potato style and two veg there are far more available. The waiters will always get you a different veg if you ask when ordering. I did not leave the dining room hungry once. 

We have just done the P&O Canaries on the Aurora last month, Whilst the protein was plated they served accompanying vegetables which were varied every evening from which you could have asked for as much or little you wanted! For myself near the end of the cruise my Neuralgia was causing me difficulty in eating, again I would ask for generally chicken which is soft and easy to eat having the vegetables they brought round and they catered without exception to my every request! Or is this just on certain ships, I hope not doing Ventura sister ship the Azura in September next year!!!

Hi  I don't wish to insult those of you who like silver service but all it proves is that these people  hack days to days which no lomger exist.   If they had been in any good or even moderate dining venue in the past fifteen-twenty years they would accept that plated is the normal.

Hi  I don't wish to insult those of you who like silver service but all it proves is that these people  hack days to days which no lomger exist.   If they had been in any good or even moderate dining venue in the past fifteen-twenty years they would accept that plated is the normal.

Your not insulting anyone Land Ahoy but In fairness it depends on the restaurants people frequent. The reason I think most ships have stopped it is the time factor and the cutting back on staff.

Quite agree.  I love to eat out and regularly dine with my partner or some friends at some of Edinburgh's best restaurants.  I've never had silver service in any of these modern (some Michelin starred) restaurants. 

Quite agree.  I love to eat out and regularly dine with my partner or some friends at some of Edinburgh's best restaurants.  I've never had silver service in any of these modern (some Michelin starred) restaurants. 

It may be that Edinburgh is leading the way but last time I was in The Ivy in London and The Vineyard in Stockcross, Newbury both were silver service for vegetables.

cheers

Harvey