loveholidays53

People not using the hand sanitizers when entering the food areas

I feel I should not need to post this but I could not believe my eyes and ears. 

Just returned from a cruise and one thing that really got my blood boiling was some people not using the hand sanitizers when entering the food areas and got stroppy when asked to do so. I could not believe hearing some ladies entering the main evening restaurant moaning that it will spoil their nails.  I wonder if the same people would be the first to moan if there was an infection outbreak and we were all confirmed to our cabins !!   I was also amazed at the amount of ladies who left public toilets in such a mess leaving them inoperable for the next person - look down the loo before you leave it just as you would at home... and also not washing their own hands before leaving the toilet area.   

These are basic hygiene standards and I know that the loo's work differently to those at home but common sense prevails ladies.

Just remember everyone when handling spoons/tongs to serve yourself something from the buffet area the previous person might not have been as clean as you - not a nice thought is it !!

I used to work in a hospital and lost count of the times a female colleague came back in to the office saying that someone had left the loos in a disgusting state.

One of the things I thought stupid in the buffet restaurant on Marella Discovery 2 recently was that the breakfast cereals were in tall perspex containers with handles that you would have to pick up and pour cereal from.  I never ate there for breakfast!  Even from day one, no staff were ever at the entrances to ask people to use the hand sanitisers.

I really cannot believe in this day and age people do not wash their hands after using the toilet. Are we going backwards in society!!! When I was in Grammar school (yes a long time ago) we actually had a subject called 'hygiene' where we were actually taught about the subject, perhaps it should be re-introduced into schools. 

Personally I never use the public toilets on the ship. I never touch the lift buttons, I use a clean tissue or a wet wipe and I carry a small bottle of Purell with me everywhere. It is actually anti viral  and I'm sure the ships hand gel is only antibacterial which is useless against the NV anyhow. I will admit my hands and nails are ruined after a cruise but far better than contracting the NV. 

Throughout the first 2 days of the cruise on Oriana there was staff at every entry point to food and then it was written in the daily magazine that it was expected that everyone would automatically do it themselves - but sadly that was not the case.

If you get cruisers picking food up and then replacing it back in the buffet then not putting hand gel on should be easy to some. That is why I very rarely use buffet on a cruise.

We spent Christmas on the Aurora and were surprised that the majority of the hand sanitizers had disappeared.  The day before we returned home I had a sore throat and on our return home I was in bed with the dreaded flu bug which my husband got two days later.  It seems too much of a coincidence that this wasn’t caused by our inability to keep our hands germ-free and poor hygiene on board ship.

Some years ago a woman said to her friend “I managed to dodge him with the hand gel when I went into the restaurant.  Ha ha”. Another passenger  rounded on her. “I’m in charge of Infection Control at a large hospital. People like you re The BANE OF MY LIFE!!!l. “. Exit red-faced woman.  

But when, on another cruise, I complained to the Head Waiter that some people were refusing to use hand sanitizer he shrugged and said “well, if they want to take the risk....”. The point is - it’s not them who are taking the risk. It is others who the hygiene-dodgers are putting at risk. 

24 minutes ago, JoanieC said:

We spent Christmas on the Aurora and were surprised that the majority of the hand sanitizers had disappeared.  The day before we returned home I had a sore throat and on our return home I was in bed with the dreaded flu bug which my husband got two days later.  It seems too much of a coincidence that this wasn’t caused by our inability to keep our hands germ-free and poor hygiene on board ship.

You dont get flu from not using a hand gel it is an airborne virus and you could have caught it anywhere on the ship or at a port of call. You can wash your hands numerous times a day but if you are in the area where somebody with the flu virus sneezes you could breathe in the virus without touching anywhere.

Edited by sinbad10

Could not agree more. We were on QM2 over Xmas and I could not believe the amount of people that just breezed into the restaurants, yes plural, all restaurants,  without sanitising there hands. Most of the time in the buffet restaurant there were no staff on the entrances to make sure you did, even when there were, people still walked straight in and the staff did nothing. Even more worrying was the amount of passengers filling their own bottles with water or juices. I did say something and like you suffered a torrent of abuse.

we went on the MSC Preziosa last November to Rio. the hand washes in the self service restaurant

were at the side of the entrances and very few  passenger used them. 9 days into the cruise my wife and i were ill

and also had  bad coughs. when we came  back to the UK most of the passengers were from the cruise and were coughing

so badly that BA kept us all on board at Heath Row for and hour and a half so they could get a doctor on board to look at us.

they only let us all go on the understanding that if it did not clear up to see our own doctor.

we have a cruise booked for June and i am thinking of taking a pair of gloves.

I too despair of peoples hygiene standards.   I must say on Saga you are not allowed in the dining room without using the gel, there are 4  or 5 members of staff funnelling people into a queue so people cannot get past.  The other excellent thing is on exiting the toilets the handles are a 2ft sanitiser which as soon as you touch the handle the gel is dispensed.

We were on Oceana. a few years ago when they had a bad outbreak of NV, Buffet closed usual precaution's in place, Sat in Cafe Jardine having lunch when this group entered from the rear of the place, the head waiter asked then ."Could you use the Gel please "

Nasty old man shouts top of his voice"Were Goldies you know" which must give you some sort of protection from the Virus,it drew some not very nice comments from other diners....Davybe

How I agree with the fact people do not use the hand gels. On Sapphire Princess you could not enter the buffet without using it, PandO used to be the same but now just leave the sanitisers for people to use.  I actually complained that many people were not using it.

I am also amazed how many Ladies do not wash their hands after using the toilet!!

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful river cruise in Portugal last September with a reputable company. Almost from day one people started being sick, but the numbers who fell ill were denied by the cruise director/hotel services manager. On the last night of the cruise I became very poorly, vomiting almost hourly. During the night no assistance was available from the crew, although my husband contacted reception a couple of times. Our onward journey to Lisbon was disrupted as I was too ill to travel and we were left to make our own way from Oporto to Lisbon after spending a night in a hotel.

On the ship hand gel was available, but not everyone used it and most meals had some buffet component. When we returned from trips we were offered a cool towel and juice - no gel.  Once people became sick no other advice was issued - a hand washing regime in particular, and the fact that the senior staff were in denial, exacerbated the problem. We understand about 28 [company figures] out of 126 passengers succumbed overall.  £400 in compensation was offered and accepted but some out of pocket expenses for the hotel etc, were not given easily. I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone - so all the hygiene suggestions made in these posts are worth following.

20 hours ago, JoanieC said:

It takes 14 days for the flu bug to incubate so you got it at the beginning not the end. Hope you are both well now.

On the Queens Victoria and Elizabeth you cannot get into the Britannia restaurant without the gel. In the Lido buffet there is usually some one at each end with the gel. As I have a skin problem I should not be using the gel but do as I hope not to catch anything. Also at the doors of all public loos there is a sign above a box of tissues saying use these when opening the door and there is a waste bin to put it in. I always wash after using the loo but you see many men walk out without doing so after using the shed or urinal the dirty sods. 

On Royals Quantum Class ships you go through a hand washing area before you can enter the buffet which can be seen through frosted glass so silhouettes can be observed by staff. One woman last year walked strait through and on emerging was told by staff to go back and wash her hands to the delights of those that had abided by the rules. Also stops people using excuses for not using gel.