Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerbell

Iceland in July

We are hoping to cruise to Iceland in July having just sorted out our travel insurance.  We had to cancel our Christmas cruise due to illness.

I would appreciate any advice on the sort of clothes to take.  Will we need thick coats, gloves etc or can we expect similar temperatures to the UK.

We did  Iceland in July a couple of years ago, the weather was mixed, we had one day cold and rain, needed mac, gloves it's was quite miserable the next, was sunny and bright no coat needed just a cardigan the next port was very warm only needed a t shirt, so yes just like England at Easter time.

lots of people packed shorts, and complaining about the weather, my husband kept saying the clue is in the name Iceland.

i really enjoyed that port, we did a whale safari boat,trip its was fantastic they are quite expensive and best booked on board. Booking it yourself is quite difficult 

hope this helps, 

It can be very mixed, I also cruised to Iceland a few years ago in July and had the complete opposite, we had a balmy day of bright sunshine and shorts & short sleeved shirts, so as you thought pack like you would for  UK holiday and you wont go wrong

Hi Tinkerbell,

Our Iceland cruise was in mid-May 2016.  Beautiful, clear days in general but bitterly cold at our first call in Akureyri, where we needed our padded anoraks, woolly hats and gloves.  That was the day we did a Whale Watching Tour (privately booked online with Ambassador ehf).

Next call was Isafjordur where it was nowhere near as cold.  We again took a privately booked trip with a company called West Tours, which took us through a tunnel in the mountains to Sudureyri for a Fishing Village Food Trail Tour.  Never forget the view as we emerged from the mountain tunnel and gazed down towards the coast and Sudureyri - stunning.  A very interesting tour of the fish processing and packing plant followed, with tastings.  We got back around mid-afternoon and needed to shed some clothing just walking around town.

We had two days in Reykjavik on the first of which we did the full day Golden Circle Classic Day Trip with Gray Line Iceland.  On day 2 we just walked around the town - well worth doing and not in the least bit cold.

Obviously, you can't predict the weather but you can choose to pack clothing that can be applied in layers.

Have a great trip.

DavidH