Sign in to follow this  
suenneil

Currency help

we are going to the Baltics in May but not sure if I have to obtain all the different currencies, it would be used mostly for a drink whilst out sightseeing.  I have got my roubles for St Petersburg as I have a tour to pay for.

However do the other ports take Euros or Dollars or do we need to get the various Krona etc.  Am I better off changing a small amount of pounds/dollars/euros to local currency at guest relations each day??

Your help would be appreciated.  

We have done the Baltics numerous times and even though many just take euros/dollars and if not accepted they pay by credit card we have always taken a small amount of each currency for Sweden, Denmark and Poland. We have never needed roubles for Russia because the only places where we could purchase or street sellers preferred dollars/euros and I am surprised a private tour company you have booked with want roubles as usually they request and prefer dollars.

49 minutes ago, cruise addict said:

We did the Baltic  last year and only took sterling, US dollars and euros.  Everywhere we went took euros (not always the best rate). If we go again I will only take euros.

That is the problem Sweden, Denmark are very expensive even in their own currency so if using euros the rate will be more to their advantage so not really saving by not buying a small amount of each countries currency for peace of mind before you go.

When I was speaking to my agent at Bolsover recently, I suggested that in the booking confirmation documents, it would be a good idea if they included a section outlining the currency that you will need for the countries to be visited. I was told she would pass the suggestion on the powers that be. I think it would be really helpful to have this information from the horses mouth, so to speak :-)

That's a really good idea, I just worry for the poor staff though, I know Bolsover don't have a Bureau de Change. I t would probably be reliant on someone in their office having to do this for every location for every voyage and of course it could lead to errors which I'm sure some customers would hold them to not if having the correct information.

It is not something I have seen any travel agent do for a cruise, great on a single trip to one location but so open for errors on a multi location holiday. Most currency outlets in either the Supermarkets or Post Office are happy to give this information and they of course will also try to sell you the currency if they stock it!

I usually take a few US$, some Euros, and just buy $50 worth of local currency on the ship, as required. Shops usually take credit card.

Edited by CA Wade

Only ever taken Uk £ ,and USA$ ,accepted everywhere we went, you can pay by card using local currency or they will convert it to UK £s, (Not recommended) .

In Tallin the Market traders had the prices marked up in different currencies.....Davybe 

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

Only ever taken Uk £ ,and USA$ ,accepted everywhere we went, you can pay by card using local currency or they will convert it to UK £s, (Not recommended) .

In Tallin the Market traders had the prices marked up in different currencies.....Davybe 

And took Euros ,lord knows why I missed it out.....Davybe