Jump to content
WaltonF

Advance Boarding for cruise ships

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I saw today in a news post on cruise critic that Princess is trialling advance boarding, i.e. you get to go on board first for a small fee. Just on Ruby Princess as a test.

Quite like the sound of that - get the holiday started early!  What are your thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others say, with the correct loyalty status you get to board earley, not worth paying as depends on what time the ship docks, all the disembarking passengers have to have got off, and the turn around time before anybody can start embarking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also so far on my 2 southampton cruises i couldnt get there any earlier anyway its at least 4 hours from here. and i am not getting up at silly oclock to get there and sit on a prom deck or whatever. i prefer a leisurely bfast and get a 10 oclock train etc and get there sometime after 2. rail unions allowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how early. 

If it was 8am it would be like an extra day at sea. Providing that the ship's facilities are available to use and you can get food and drinks then I think it's a good idea. Expect they would want to get the previous passengers off first though.

If it's only 1 or 2 hours before the normal time then there isn't much point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Cruise said:

Depends how early. 

If it was 8am it would be like an extra day at sea. Providing that the ship's facilities are available to use and you can get food and drinks then I think it's a good idea. Expect they would want to get the previous passengers off first though.

If it's only 1 or 2 hours before the normal time then there isn't much point.

It isnt a plan to get on the ship that early Princess say that those in higher tiers of Captain Circle i.e. Elite will still get priority boarding and get on first and then those that have paid the $49 per cabin will be next so I should imagine it would not be anytime before midday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you on that point Captain Kidd, those who wait for the cheaper fare should wait to embark & reward those who have paid full fare, the idea of paying to board sounds bizarre when you have already paid for your cruise anyway . Next thing it will be board by raffle ticket number at a £1 a strip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It isnt a plan to get on the ship that early Princess say that those in higher tiers of Captain Circle i.e. Elite will still get priority boarding and get on first and then those that have paid the $49 per cabin will be next so I should imagine it would not be anytime before midday.

Pointless then. We've never had an issue getting on or had to wait. Usually on the ship for 1pm. Not sure what time boarding starts, maybe we are just late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Pointless then. We've never had an issue getting on or had to wait. Usually on the ship for 1pm. Not sure what time boarding starts, maybe we are just late.

Well we are Elite so no point for us to pay if it became ship wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ar the time we arrive at the port is determined by the Coach company ,there is little point in paying to board early, most passengers have been loaded when we get there.....Davybe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2018 at 8:16 PM, Captain Kidd II said:

Earlier embarkation should be offered by P&O as part of the Select package. That way at least it would make more sense.

This is a great idea and should be adopted by P & O. Nothing worse than paying the higher price well in advance then seeing hundreds of people board ahead of you because they arrived by coach. The fastest check-in we’ve ever experienced was with Royal Caribbean boarding Harmony of the Seas - we did the boarding documentation at home and when we arrived at Southampton, staff with iPods greeted us and after a couple of minutes waved us through! This compares with often an hour’s wait with P & O, and as previously mentioned, seeing hundreds of people arriving later boarding earlier!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Portishead26 said:

This is a great idea and should be adopted by P & O. Nothing worse than paying the higher price well in advance then seeing hundreds of people board ahead of you because they arrived by coach. The fastest check-in we’ve ever experienced was with Royal Caribbean boarding Harmony of the Seas - we did the boarding documentation at home and when we arrived at Southampton, staff with iPods greeted us and after a couple of minutes waved us through! This compares with often an hour’s wait with P & O, and as previously mentioned, seeing hundreds of people arriving later boarding earlier!

 

I have the same experience with Royal Caribbean. Do the paper work at home and you are on the ship in minutes with your key cards waiting for you in the cabin. They keycards are also not affected by magnetism so if your mobile or tablet are near them they wont stop working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:27 AM, sinbad10 said:

It isnt a plan to get on the ship that early Princess say that those in higher tiers of Captain Circle i.e. Elite will still get priority boarding and get on first and then those that have paid the $49 per cabin will be next so I should imagine it would not be anytime before midday.

We always fly in, stay at a hotel , then get taxi to pier at around 11am, onboard by about 1pm having lunch . Course our boarding time they tell us like 2pm - 4pm, we ignore. This is our experience on Cunard,. Princess, HAL

We do  have the Princess status to board earlier but just use regular checkin line,, See no point ,, a waste of ones monies to my mind

Edited by RobBar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reached Elite status on Princess. Arrived at Southampton and immediately waved to small queue. About Two years ago arrived about 12.30 at Southampton for Fred Olsen cruise - superior outside guaranteed basis. We were kept waiting almost two hours as they were boarding passengers according to how much they had paid. Sitting in crowded terminal annoying as brilliant sunshine outside.   most difficult boarding was Caribbean Princess from Southampton, but we weren't Elite at that point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Priority Boarding with Celebrity, but often it is a longer queue than the standard check in, we just join which looks the quickest moving line....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we do not like to rush and that we have over 200 miles to travel, we set off the day before and spend the night in the Newbury area. The next morning we take our time have breakfast somewhere and just trundle down to the ship aiming to get there between 11 and mid day. Last year in July on Queen Elizabeth got to Mayflower terminal at 11:30. Cases gone walked inside filled out health form and was called to board. Mid day sat having a cuppa waiting for lunch service to start. Well done Cunard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierian said:

As we do not like to rush and that we have over 200 miles to travel, we set off the day before and spend the night in the Newbury area. The next morning we take our time have breakfast somewhere and just trundle down to the ship aiming to get there between 11 and mid day. Last year in July on Queen Elizabeth got to Mayflower terminal at 11:30. Cases gone walked inside filled out health form and was called to board. Mid day sat having a cuppa waiting for lunch service to start. Well done Cunard.

As a famous puppet once said - "That's the way to do it!!"

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×