Sign in to follow this  
Happy wanderer

First time cruisers

Hi, booked our first cruise 9 day Med Barcelona to Venice,  Sept 18 would love to hear from cruisers experience rather than standard info from  celebrity.

Ship is constellation, Aquaclass package, deck 9 , don’t know cabin number yet. Anyone experienced this cruise or similar? Is purchasing a classic drink package worth it for moderate drinkers?

How is internet speed? 

Any tour recommendations? Is it best to book with celebrity or independently?

Any advise for first time cruisers?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Welcome to the forum Happy Wanderer.

We booked a Tour through Celebrity in Venice,which included a Gondola ride and a visit to a Glass factory .Buying a ride on a Gondola would have cost more?They will drop you off in the town centre ,and you can use the shuttle service, back to the ship.If you share a taxi in other ports you can get some good tours privately.

Aqua Class, well you get to eat in Blu which is very nice ,open dining ,and very good food and service, plus a few other extras, like Water every day Us of certain spa areas (Free0.Having said that the food in the MDR is very good ?

All Drinks are expensive on Celebrity ,wait till to get on the ship and work it out for yourself,Just check you have not got a Package with. your cruise.

Internet speed usually quite fast on Celebrity but not cheap , they sell packages, which may save you money.

You may think about pricing up a cruise for next year and then check whilst on the ship how prices and befits  work out....Davybe

The last time we went to Venice we wanted to tour the Doges palace. We went on the shuttle boat as early as we could , walked straight into the palace & spent a lovely couple of hours wandering around including the dungeons & the Bridge of Sighs. When we came out the queues to get in were horrendous so it paid to beat the queues & tours. We then just wandered around St Marks Square & explored some of the little alleyways - it's hard to get lost in the centre of Venice. If it's a first visit it might be good to take a walking tour with a guide especially to enter St Marks but everything else such as the campanile is easy on your own. 

If you're thinking of purchasing a drinks package don't forget to take into account the number of days that you are spending time ashore. You will not be drinking as much on board so it may be hard to justify the cost on those days.

Edited by iknowlescourier

You chose exactly the right time, weatherwise, for that itinerary. Are you sure a drinks package isn’t included?  It often is with higher grade cabins.  Internet usually very expensive and not too reliable. Most cafes at various ports have free WiFi, as do many cruise terminals.  Rule of thumb - follow the crew!  You will see lots of lads with tablets and iPhones. They know where WiFi is free.

You don’t mention ports to be visited. We usually do our own thing, but are seasoned cruisers and have holidayed in Italy.  In Livorno it is easy and cheap to visit Pisa, but for Florence I would advise ships tour.  Civitavecchia has good train service to Rome with station a short walk from St Peters Square. There you can use Hop- on-hop-off bus to sightsee. DO ENSURE you get back in time. Ship will not wait. In Venice  all ships dock near “people-mover” that takes you to main square near Grand Canal. You can get a boat (equivalent of a bus, really) that will take you full length of Grand Canal, but if you get off at certain stops you have to pay again to get back on. You can get boats (traghetti) to all the islands in the lagoon  for a reasonable sum and stroll at leisure. Unless you have won the lottery, don’t sit at a cafe in St Marks Square itself. Go up one of the many alleyways for your cappuccino!  Most ships stay overnight here so you might do your own thing one day and ships trip another.  Enjoy your first cruise. Be Warned. Cruising is addictive. 

Tuscanybus.com do a trip to Florence from Livorno, it picks you up where the ships shuttle bus drops you, and they have reps there waiting to check you in.  They were excellent and guarantee to get you back in time for the ship sailing. There were many people on our trip from our ship, the price is a lot cheaper and you can book it online before going and the reviews are excellent, and I would definately use them again when in that area and thoroughly recommend them. 

On 3/17/2018 at 4:49 AM, Happy wanderer said:

Hi, booked our first cruise 9 day Med Barcelona to Venice,  Sept 18 would love to hear from cruisers experience rather than standard info from  celebrity.

Ship is constellation, Aquaclass package, deck 9 , don’t know cabin number yet. Anyone experienced this cruise or similar? Is purchasing a classic drink package worth it for moderate drinkers?

How is internet speed? 

Any tour recommendations? Is it best to book with celebrity or independently?

Any advise for first time cruisers?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Best Advice just go with the flow.    you are about to have a wonderful exciting and memorable experience.  Beware a serious health warning you are about go catch a very expensive disease  Have a wonderful time.

We usualy drink a glass of wine with lunch, a couple of glasses 5-ish, and a bottle with dinner. As far as my calculations go, the drinks packages at $60 or $80 per head per day just are not worth it. On some lines, there is a bottle per day sort of package that seems to be  only mentioned once on board...which has been good value for us.   bar drinks extra. Cappuccino Coffee is an extra. Ship coffee is usually foul....even when they assure you they are using Nescafe in their machines..! 

On 16/05/2018 at 2:54 PM, Derek555 said:

Oh! I'm going to cruise Barcelona to Venice this year too!

This is the first time. It's so exciting!

I even took Spanish language private classes online (via Skype) If you also want to find a tutor, you can do it here    https://buki.org.pl/en/korepetycje-online/jezyk-hiszpaski/

Why take Spanish lessons if you are sailing to Italy Derek555

On 4/14/2018 at 10:01 PM, CA Wade said:

We usualy drink a glass of wine with lunch, a couple of glasses 5-ish, and a bottle with dinner. As far as my calculations go, the drinks packages at $60 or $80 per head per day just are not worth it. On some lines, there is a bottle per day sort of package that seems to be  only mentioned once on board...which has been good value for us.   bar drinks extra. Cappuccino Coffee is an extra. Ship coffee is usually foul....even when they assure you they are using Nescafe in their machines..! 

I am not recommending the drink package, but f you do decide to get one, cappuccinos  and other fancy coffees and teas are included.  Also the free coffee on Celebrity has improved recently.  They now use real Lavazza coffee grounds in the machines in the Oceanview buffet and it is pretty good and available all day (much better than Nescafe in my opinion).   My recommendation would be to se how much you spend on drinks when on board and then you can determine if it is worth paying the daily rate for the remaining days.

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Why take Spanish lessons if you are sailing to Italy Derek555

Because tour includes a visit to Spain. I like Spanish more than Italian. And it's easier

Hi Derek555. I think they speak Catalan rather than pure Spanish in Barcelona but most people that you will come across usually have very good English skills. I hope you have a wonderful cruise & Venice is an amazing place.