Davybe

Is It A Bribe or a Tip?

5 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Well I see it as 'tipping' we often tip the bar waiters during a cruise if we have been served by the same one several nights running .. it isn't a bribe as we've already had the good service it's what we call appreciation, I can't say I've ever noticed we get any special attention nor would I expect it, the majority of the crew are all very experienced they take several orders at the same time and deliver the same so no-one really gets any preferential treatment, if there is a delay then it is no doubt at the bar as the poor barmen/women aren't just dealing with our order.

I see nothing wrong with tipping any crew member at any point during a cruise if you feel the service is good and of course there is the provision on the receipt to 'add' a tip so it's obviously not frowned on by the cruise line.

But with all do respect DQ what you are doing is not the same as what was being described in the opening post what you're doing is perfectly acceptable, tipping for services rendered.

What the opening post is basically saying is that by giving a good tip on the first night with the sole aim that it will ensure additional benefits and a speedier service, which intern could have a negative effect on other customers.

Just my opinion but I think there's a distinct difference between the two.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

Yes I appreciate what the opening post is saying and perhaps there are those who think give them a tip at the beginning to ensure better service but in reality the crew are hardly in a position to show favoritism .. they are all answerable ;) of course in every walk of life 'money talks' but some punter slipping a waiter a 'tenner' isn't going to get better service than you or I and if they think they will more fool them !!

I don't think we need worry about 'Joe Bloggs' actions having an adverse effect on the rest of us  as I'm sure they are few and far between.

Just to add .. I don't blame any crew member for accepting a tip ( call it what you will ) the term 'to look after us' is open to interpretation.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

13 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

but in reality the crew are hardly in a position to show favoritism .. they are all answerable ;) of course in every walk of life 'money talks' but some punter slipping a waiter a 'tenner' isn't going to get better service than you or I and if they think they will more fool them !!

If Davybe's experience is anything to go by then they are clearly showing favouritism.

Like you I don't apportion the blame on the crew for taking the money but they must appreciate that it does open them up to criticism and potential complaint, should they as a result give preferential treatment to certain individuals.

HLM.

I don't doubt what Davybe read elsewhere but was it fact or just some 'wannabee' full of their own importance exaggerating the truth, I wasn't there so I wouldn't know but what I do know is even with a drinks package all receipts are recorded and whilst it would be very easy for any barman to put through a non premium brand at the end of a cruise they still have to account for their stock and quite honestly even if only one person was doing this it would soon become noticeable, personally I don't think any crew member would risk their job for a few $ dollars but maybe I'm naive. 

8 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I don't doubt what Davybe read elsewhere but was it fact or just some 'wannabee' full of their own importance exaggerating the truth, I wasn't there so I wouldn't know but what I do know is even with a drinks package all receipts are recorded and whilst it would be very easy for any barman to put through a non premium brand at the end of a cruise they still have to account for their stock and quite honestly even if only one person was doing this it would soon become noticeable, personally I don't think any crew member would risk their job for a few $ dollars but maybe I'm naive. 

The first paragraph I agree may have exaggerating the truth like you say we don't know, however Davybe openly said that the couple they were with gave a tip and as a result received preferential service, for example regular top ups, drinks ready on arrival without asking etc.

HLM.

16 hours ago, HLM said:

The first paragraph I agree may have exaggerating the truth like you say we don't know, however Davybe openly said that the couple they were with gave a tip and as a result received preferential service, for example regular top ups, drinks ready on arrival without asking etc.

HLM.

Other people may well have received the same treatment we did, I would never knows I was not interested in what was going on in other areas of the bar...Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Other people may well have received the same treatment we did, I would never knows I was not interested in what was going on in other areas of the bar...Davybe

They may well of done but we can't comment on what we don't know can we? What we do know for certain is that you believed you received preferential treatment because of it.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

i think again like most tipping issues its an american thing like slipping the maitre d a bung to get a better table at a posh restaurant. i used to go to las vegas every year on holiday and you saw it a lot at bars there people over tipping the first round to get the barmans attention and asking him to look after them.

personally i have never had to wait long for service on any cruise ship so just see it as a waste of money.

if others want to do it so what thats up to them i am not going to get out of shape about it.

1 minute ago, mitch said:

i think again like most tipping issues its an american thing like slipping the maitre d a bung to get a better table at a posh restaurant. i used to go to las vegas every year on holiday and you saw it a lot at bars there people over tipping the first round to get the barmans attention and asking him to look after them.

personally i have never had to wait long for service on any cruise ship so just see it as a waste of money.

if others want to do it so what thats up to them i am not going to get out of shape about it.

We saw a similar thing in Blu on Eclipse they have open seating in there, for Breakfast and Diner. they are mainly tables for two.

The seats by the window are very popular ,but any one can sit in them if they are empty, One American Family use to come in around 7-30 each night just after the first rush were leaving and ,get seated by the window and each night he gave the Maitre D a tip, he could have had the same table for free.

It must be in there heads that flashing the cash ,is some sort of power show.....Davybe

Is it just me that thinks $10 for a full week or more preferential treatment makes the barman a cheap date?! :lol:

I don't generally think it's a good idea overall, the service should be the same for all passengers and by doing this the staff will better their chances of a more generous tip at the end perhaps.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, Davybe said:

eJust reading on another website, that this person gave a Barman $20 on the first night of the cruise ,and got premium drinks instead of the standard ones.

Would you Tip before getting service from Bar staff (Tip = To ensure a personal Service)

We travel quite a bit with Celebrity and use the Elite Members Cocktail service most night's, We were with one couple who asked the server if they were on for the full cruise, serving in that bar, after the waiter confirmed he was the man gave $10 to "Look after us" We never waited for a drink and rarely had to ask for refills ,he saw we were getting low and brought fresh drinks out fo us, He even went and had drinks ready for us as we walked in.We All Tipped again at the end of the cruise.Next cruise he was waiting on again we got brilliant service.

Now some people feel this is a bribe and should not be allowed ,what do you think.....Davybe

Well of course its a bribe, someone else who does not believe in bribes will have to wait. If cruise lines paid proper wages tips would be unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Is it just me that thinks $10 for a full week or more preferential treatment makes the barman a cheap date?! :lol:

I don't generally think it's a good idea overall, the service should be the same for all passengers and by doing this the staff will better their chances of a more generous tip at the end perhaps.

Therein surely lies the dichotomy of the entire, and never ending, tip/gratuity/bribe argument/debate?

Be it also known, that on 14 different cruise lines now, where they ( the gratuities) ever applied? We have never cancelled any gratuities, either. Not a statement of boast or grandeur either, simply a statement of fact.

Personally, in circa 2018, I still truly believe that all people/all cruisers should be allowed to make their own moral/chosen cruising choices, and then truly stick by them, without fear or favour. Rather than (as is most clearly apparent now, in some notably instances), to those who seek and find fault at every plausible opportunity, with those people of a different mind set and/or  persuasion, who choose to think somewhat differently, and recognise good service (when apparent) before, throughout, or ultimately at the end of the trip.

If you want or don't want to tip, then simply go ahead, or don't go ahead, and forever enjoy/rejoice in the choice you ultimately made too. However, PLEASE, do not by return, similarly criticise or seek to find fault with those of us, who also do what we think by return, is the rightfully rewarded option in our hearts, rather than sadly ending up being seen as 'bribed' in the minds of the self-absolving others.

Whilst it is always completely my own decision, and nobody else's, I usually 'tip' very discretely on the last afternoon or evening to barmen who have looked after us and served us well, on the cruise. In my opinion, it will always be nobody's business, other than my own.

Interesting

If you want to dump your monies and prove how wealthy or ignorant you are then go for it . As long as service to me is professional and a reasonable wait period,  a non issue

Many crew depending on ones nationality are offended by one assuming they would not give great service as that is what they pride themselves on.

I cannot speak to P & O , only to HAL, Celebrity , Princess and Cunard, In those cases the bar staff are not paid via your daily  auto gratuity for Hotel Staff  , their payment is the 15 % or such added on to your bill AND if you give extra. In our case I always add 1-2 dollars extra  to the 15 % on my bill. Do I get extra service , possible but more likely to us showing up at same spot each afternoon or evening and yes I might be remembered. Giving extra , sure, they will remember but they will not ignore other guests

Course the real question  is does heavy roller still tip extra on ones daily bar bill

Edited by RobBar

10 hours ago, RobBar said:

I always add 1-2 dollars extra  to the 15 % on my bill.

And that's perfectly acceptable and the correct and suggested way to do it because this would be pooled and everyone on this particular payroll gets their share.

The issue I have is the underhanded way the opening post suggests, by slipping it to them personally with the sole intention to receive additional benefits.

HLM.

11 hours ago, RobBar said:

Interesting

If you want to dump your monies and prove how wealthy or ignorant you are then go for it . As long as service to me is professional and a reasonable wait period,  a non issue

Many crew depending on ones nationality are offended by one assuming they would not give great service as that is what they pride themselves on.

I cannot speak to P & O , only to HAL, Celebrity , Princess and Cunard, In those cases the bar staff are not paid via your daily  auto gratuity for Hotel Staff  , their payment is the 15 % or such added on to your bill AND if you give extra. In our case I always add 1-2 dollars extra  to the 15 % on my bill. Do I get extra service , possible but more likely to us showing up at same spot each afternoon or evening and yes I might be remembered. Giving extra , sure, they will remember but they will not ignore other guests

Course the real question  is does heavy roller still tip extra on ones daily bar bill

The art in any service job is to make the customer feel special,I must say that on Celebrity ,they do try and do that.

On P&O the bar staff get an average of 6.5% from what we pay for drinks.....Davybe

We've just come off a 35 night cruise where one couple had a regular table for 2 that was ALWAYS available for them regardless of their time of arrival.  To the point that we and others had to wait for a table for two when this particular table was fully prepared and waiting.  It was obvious they had made a "special arrangement" at the beginning of the cruise.  On the other hand we chose to tip two restaurant waiters on our last night because they'd made our dining experience so enjoyable and I was happy to reward them with a generous tip for outstanding service throughout the cruise.

14 hours ago, Thisisit said:

We've just come off a 35 night cruise where one couple had a regular table for 2 that was ALWAYS available for them regardless of their time of arrival.  To the point that we and others had to wait for a table for two when this particular table was fully prepared and waiting.  It was obvious they had made a "special arrangement" at the beginning of the cruise.  On the other hand we chose to tip two restaurant waiters on our last night because they'd made our dining experience so enjoyable and I was happy to reward them with a generous tip for outstanding service throughout the cruise.

I applaud you style, no noise and the right thing

On 3/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, Davybe said:

Just reading on another website, that this person gave a Barman $20 on the first night of the cruise ,and got premium drinks instead of the standard ones.

Would you Tip before getting service from Bar staff (Tip = To ensure a personal Service)

We travel quite a bit with Celebrity and use the Elite Members Cocktail service most night's, We were with one couple who asked the server if they were on for the full cruise, serving in that bar, after the waiter confirmed he was the man gave $10 to "Look after us" We never waited for a drink and rarely had to ask for refills ,he saw we were getting low and brought fresh drinks out fo us, He even went and had drinks ready for us as we walked in.We All Tipped again at the end of the cruise.Next cruise he was waiting on again we got brilliant service.

Now some people feel this is a bribe and should not be allowed ,what do you think.....Davybe

Agree or disagree, it's what happens in the real world and is common practice. No different from 'tipping' the Maitre D on arrival at a restaurant to ensure a good table and excellent service.

19 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Might be common practice but its bribery to guarantee good service where a tip is given after receiving and if deserved good service.

I agree 100%, but as OWT said the reality is it happens.

That said If I saw it I'd certainly make a point of highlighting it to the relevant senior crew member, nothing to do with sour grapes but a point of principle.

HLM.

13 hours ago, HLM said:

I agree 100%, but as OWT said the reality is it happens.

That said If I saw it I'd certainly make a point of highlighting it to the relevant senior crew member, nothing to do with sour grapes but a point of principle.

HLM.

And What principle would that be HLM?

And I do wonder what that senior crew member would do,The Tips make up a large part of their wages why would they not accept a cash tip part way or at the start of the cruise, nothing as far as I can see illegal about it....Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

And What principle would that be HLM?

And I do wonder what that senior crew member would do,The Tips make up a large part of their wages why would they not accept a cash tip part way or at the start of the cruise, nothing as far as I can see illegal about it....Davybe

Because if it was given at the start of the cruise without knowing how good the service is going to be then how can it be a reward so therefore he is bribing the person to give him good service.

Definition of tip/gratuity in Oxford Dictionary is as follows-

A sum of money paid to an employee at the END of a period of employment.

‘an end-of-contract gratuity of 20% of the total pay received’

28 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Because if it was given at the start of the cruise without knowing how good the service is going to be then how can it be a reward so therefore he is bribing the person to give him good service.

Definition of tip/gratuity in Oxford Dictionary is as follows-

A sum of money paid to an employee at the END of a period of employment.

‘an end-of-contract gratuity of 20% of the total pay received’

A sum of money given to someone as a reward for a service.

From the online Oxford Dictionary??

Or Tips "To insure Person service "

I would assume they had some drinks served before giving any money ,but we will never know....Davybe