Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Following the Dress Code.

2 hours ago, HLM said:

Oh bless you DQ, you've had a few sailings with Cunard and you think you're an expert on formal attire.

You really have no idea, I most likely attend more formal occasions in a year than you've ever done.

If only you knew.

HLM.

You reply to people in the way you have above and then wondered why people call you arrogant.

It is of no interest to me how many formal occasions you may or may not attend in a year, I hadn’t realised it was a competition :rolleyes:

I don’t consider myself to be an expert on anything what I do consider myself to have, is experience of Cunard ships and I don’t have to go to another forum to get the information second hand, I’m not the one looking elsewhere to try and prove a point, what I post on here is posted from experience not hearsay, others may disagree with my opinion/point of view which is their prerogative but all you are doing is ‘baiting’ on a subject/company you know nothing about except what you have read elsewhere, come back when you’ve actually experienced it and I’ll be more than happy to exchange views with you.

8 hours ago, HLM said:

Oh bless you DQ, you've had a few sailings with Cunard and you think you're an expert on formal attire.

You really have no idea, I most likely attend more formal occasions in a year than you've ever done.

If only you knew.

HLM.

Sorry HLM but you are such patronising person who thinks he knows it all and is never wrong.

7 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:
It is of no interest to me how many formal occasions you may or may not attend in a year, I hadn’t realised it was a competition :rolleyes:

I don’t consider myself to be an expert on anything what I do consider myself to have, is experience of Cunard ships and I don’t have to go to another forum to get the information second hand, I’m not the one looking elsewhere to try and prove a point, what I post on here is posted from experience not hearsay, others may disagree with my opinion/point of view which is their prerogative but all you are doing is ‘baiting’ on a subject/company you know nothing about except what you have read elsewhere, come back when you’ve actually experienced it and I’ll be more than happy to exchange views with you.

Goodness me DQ, I don't need to experience it Cunard have it on their website.

If we are only allowed to comment on this forum about things we've experienced it'd die a quick death I can assure you.

At the end of the day regardless of where it comes from, if the information is correct (which it was) then I don't see what the problem is.

HLM.

8 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

You reply to people in the way you have above and then wondered why people call you arrogant.

Can I just add that this is the only time I've had a problem on this forum, I'm certainly not an arrogant person I reply in a manner fitting to the responses I get.

HLM.

I think this forum is all about things we have experienced or things which are a turn off and that we would not think about doing, I have never done a river cruise, why? Because I don’t fancy doing one, that’s not to say they are bad, lots of people love them just not my cup of tea. 

So let’s all just stop the back biting please.

1 hour ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I wonder if it is time to "leave the subject there" as points have been made but it seems to ge getting personal?

we need to be helpful and friendly as there seems to be too much backbiting on social media sites these days.

Indeed Captain Kidd and I apologise to other members for my input into this, I won’t defend myself other than to say I was ‘jumped on’ at the beginning of this thread when trying to be helpful with regard to the age demographics of Cunard passengers v P&O,  to literally be called a liar is not very nice BUT I should have risen above it and ignored, which of course is no excuse !!

Unfortunately there have been several threads recently where I have felt I should withdraw from them for ‘the good of the forum’ far be it from me to place the blame at someone else’s door and I can certainly give as good as I get but to be asked to ‘prove’ something tbh is quite unacceptable and I am not the only person this has been said to, I don't actually have a problem with 'hearsay or opinion' but what I do have a problem with is someone trying to undermine everything I say, of course I have choice which has usually been to 'bow out gracefully' as I will do now with this thread but all I'm doing really is giving in and the 'problem' is still here but as long as they continue to 'bait' there will be disharmony and not just from me !! 

52 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Indeed Captain Kidd and I apologise to other members for my input into this, I won’t defend myself other than to say I was ‘jumped on’ at the beginning of this thread when trying to be helpful with regard to the age demographics of Cunard passengers v P&O,  to literally be called a liar is not very nice BUT I should have risen above it and ignored, which of course is no excuse !!

Unfortunately there have been several threads recently where I have felt I should withdraw from them for ‘the good of the forum’ far be it from me to place the blame at someone else’s door and I can certainly give as good as I get but to be asked to ‘prove’ something tbh is quite unacceptable and I am not the only person this has been said to, I don't actually have a problem with 'hearsay or opinion' but what I do have a problem with is someone trying to undermine everything I say, of course I have choice which has usually been to 'bow out gracefully' as I will do now with this thread but all I'm doing really is giving in and the 'problem' is still here but as long as they continue to 'bait' there will be disharmony and not just from me !! 

I agree with your post as long as what you've said can be seen both ways.

You think you're right and so do I simple as that.

Enough said on the subject, I'm happy to put it to bed if you are?

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

I agree with your post as long as what you've said can be seen both ways.

You think you're right and so do I simple as that.

Enough said on the subject, I'm happy to put it to bed if you are?

HLM.

No reason it can’t HLM and just for the record I don’t see it as me being right and you being wrong or vice versa.

Could I just say though not only should this be put to bed but any future ‘sniping’ too from either of us, I’m sure we are both adult enough to do that.

10 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

No reason it can’t HLM and just for the record I don’t see it as me being right and you being wrong or vice versa.

Could I just say though not only should this be put to bed but any future ‘sniping’ too from either of us, I’m sure we are both adult enough to do that.

Sounds good to me. :)

HLM.

Please, no one leave the forum. Any forum is about differing views, discussion and often disagreement but none of it should be personal. We all have different experience with different cruise lines in various parts of the world and the idea is we share these experiences to the benefit of each other. As always, just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Jenjen said:

Don’t leave the forum DQ we so often sing from the same hymn sheet I have quite a strong feeling we have met on a cruise

Thank you for your kind words JenJen, I think we are both very passionate about Cunard so I can see why we would sing from the same hymn sheet, interesting that you think we might have met .. goodness if we have I hope I was behaving myself ;)

I've been away from the forum for quite some time and have just been catching up on the latest threads. To get back to the original question, rather than address the merits of individual cruise lines, I think it's better to take a look at the industry overall. In the past, deciding on a cruise line based on dress code was extremely limited. If you enjoyed the formality then it was ideal, if not then it was difficult to find suitable options. Nowadays however, let's just appreciate the fact that there are so many different cruise lines to choose from that no matter what your preferences, there is something for all.

For those seeking formal evenings, the options are there; for those who could think of nothing worse, the options are also there. it's great to have such a diverse range of ships, cruise lines, and individual offerings. it's nice to be able to pick and choose based on what suits you rather than the one size fits all approach. I realise the last sentence was packed with puns so I apologise! :P

On 3/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, Tinkerbell said:

I agree with Pesky Pirate.  If people don't want to dress up they should choose a cruise line where they don't need to.

Totally agree 

On 4/15/2018 at 4:48 PM, CA Wade said:

I prefer "smart casual" dining..but I take a jacket and tie...thats quite formal enough for me.

Welcome to the forum😁

We love Celebrities "Elegant Chic" dress code which is dress as you wish ,some dress up with their formal cloths others just dress smart casual, both seem to enjoy the night, and people are not any nicer the better they are dressed....Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

Welcome to the forum😁

We love Celebrities "Elegant Chic" dress code which is dress as you wish ,some dress up with their formal cloths others just dress smart casual, both seem to enjoy the night, and people are not any nicer the better they are dressed....Davybe

That is fine if they respect the "elegant chic" dress code but that is one thing about Princess cruises that I dont like on formal nights many dress up in tux and women dress smartly but Americans have a weird idea of what "formal dress" is and I think it ruins the atmosphere of the evening when you are sitting at dinner on formal night dressed in a tux and Americans think black t shirt and black jeans is formal and even shared on e table on one occasion when the man sat all through the meal with a baseball cap on with his favourite baseball team plastered all over it. This is why we mainly cruise with Cunard because we like the more formal dress code which in the majority even Americans adhere too.

30 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

That is fine if they respect the "elegant chic" dress code but that is one thing about Princess cruises that I dont like on formal nights many dress up in tux and women dress smartly but Americans have a weird idea of what "formal dress" is and I think it ruins the atmosphere of the evening when you are sitting at dinner on formal night dressed in a tux and Americans think black t shirt and black jeans is formal and even shared on e table on one occasion when the man sat all through the meal with a baseball cap on with his favourite baseball team plastered all over it. This is why we mainly cruise with Cunard because we like the more formal dress code which in the majority even Americans adhere too.

Like it lump it dress codes are changing.I have no issues at all with what others wear,I am more concerned with how nice people are.

Some one on QE said "Did you see that man who changed into a track suite after diner, he ruined everyones night" She got even more upset than I said "He Did not ruin mine"?

But People know what Cunard expects from their clients regarding the dress code,But I did smile when on Formal night this man dressed in his national dress,I think he may have been an Afghan Goat herder ,he got some funny looks and lots of tuts....Davybe

I used to think it was very important that people stuck to the dress code. While I think people should at least look smart I agree with Davybe I'm more bothered about people being nice these days. Some of the best dressed aren't always the nicest.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, Tally said:

I used to think it was very important that people stuck to the dress code. While I think people should at least look smart I agree with Davybe I'm more bothered about people being nice these days. Some of the best dressed aren't always the nicest.

Exactly it. Dress doesn`t make the man or woman. Me? I dress smart to go out for dinner whether at home or on a ship but I don`t see the need to dress in an out of date dj and bow tie. Insistence on that is no more than snobbery and to be told if you don`t want to dress like that eat in the buffet is insulting. I`ve never been stopped by cruise staff re: my dress even when deciding to dress down from a DJ to a smart jacket/ shirt and tie so will eat anywhere I want to. I`d never eat out in a proper restaurant in shorts/ t-shirt and a baseball cap and would expect those dressed as such to be stopped and asked to eat elsewhere. If the are not then the cruiseline should dispense with the dress code and give it up.

Edited by jinky

As the age old saying goes 'never judge a book by its cover'. I know an elderly gentleman who lives near me and his dress sense is for want of a better word unkempt, however you will never meet such a nice, kind & polite man anywhere so I am with you on this