Davybe

Would you sail on Her.

RCI are about to start cruises in the worlds biggest ship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5537899/Royal-Caribbeans-Symphony-Seas-prepares-maiden-voyage.html

4A817C3700000578-5537899-Symphony_of_the

4A7BFA0800000578-5537899-image-a-32_1521

4A7BFB9000000578-0-image-a-10_1521836053

A fine piece of engineering ,but would you cruise on a ship this size,8,000 passengers and crew.

2700 cabins, and very thing a long way from where you are??......Davybe

35 minutes ago, CT retired again said:

Not the ship for me,but with a bit of luck it will attract the crowd I would aim to avoid 😎

Aimed at the USA market ,who have a lot less holidays than we do ,Lots of Cruises from the USA are short cruises and they seem to love these resort ship's ...Davybe

44 minutes ago, mitch said:

omg imagine the queues to get on and off. let alone around the ship.

not for me.

Apparently RCI Unlike P&O have a very quick loading time for passengers, you can do all your checkin on line ? They even built a purpose built area in Miami , dread to think how they go on at some ports though....Davybe

Yes if it was based in Southampton, and with only 2700 cabins it's  lower berth capacity is only 5400, and I doubt it has sufficient 3 and 4 berth cabins to ever have 8000 passengers, even in school holidays.

Been on Harmony and Allure of the Seas which are both the same as Symphony and they are all great! Never queued for anything which was surprising to say how big the ships are. And the ship doesnt take 8000 passengers, that would mean that almost every cabin on the ship would have to take at least 3 or 4 people which they dont.

A huge yes. 

Royal Caribbean are known as the world leaders when it comes to cruise ship innovation. On the new big ships their shows are not by in house theatre companies  but in many cases with the original Broadway/West End casts. This was the case of 'We Will Rock You' on Anthem of the Seas and 'Live Love Legs' on Ovation of the Seas. On these ships if you choose 'Classic Dining' 1st or 2nd sitting you rotate through 4 different restaurants with different themes and menus but still retaining the same table and waiter in each. If you don't like these you can try one of the 14 other venues, some of which are free of charge. As for the buffets, the choice is vast with islands displaying foods of different nationalities. 

There is no more queuing getting on or off these ships than there is on small ships simply because they have more gangways.

In fairness, if you have never tried them you aren't really aware of what they are like or have to offer. Give them a try, you might actually like them. 

19 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

A huge yes. 

Royal Caribbean are known as the world leaders when it comes to cruise ship innovation. On the new big ships their shows are not by in house theatre companies  but in many cases with the original Broadway/West End casts. This was the case of 'We Will Rock You' on Anthem of the Seas and 'Live Love Legs' on Ovation of the Seas. On these ships if you choose 'Classic Dining' 1st or 2nd sitting you rotate through 4 different restaurants with different themes and menus but still retaining the same table and waiter in each. If you don't like these you can try one of the 14 other venues, some of which are free of charge. As for the buffets, the choice is vast with islands displaying foods of different nationalities. 

There is no more queuing getting on or off these ships than there is on small ships simply because they have more gangways.

In fairness, if you have never tried them you aren't really aware of what they are like or have to offer. Give them a try, you might actually like them. 

Hi OWT,

I appreciate the point you are making and will admit to being the type of person who is prone to forming preconceived ideas from minimal information. 

My wife will confirm that I once planned a 9 country caravan tour through Europe desperately trying to avoid Italy simply because I had a thing in my head that said "this is a dirty country which you will not want to visit".  I was very wrong all those years ago and, having found it impossible to avoid an overnight stay there (on the shores of Lake Como), I fell in love with Italy and it's people and have since returned numerous times.

However, I do not have either the financial resources or the years left on this Earth to even contemplate trying the "Leviathan of The Seas" type of cruise holiday, preferring to spend what I have remaining of both on the sort of holiday experience I know I will be much more likely to enjoy.

Oh dear!  I've just re-read this post and I fear it may come over as a little depressing.  Sorry about that.

:unsure::lol::unsure:

DavidH

14 hours ago, DavidH said:

Hi OWT,

I appreciate the point you are making and will admit to being the type of person who is prone to forming preconceived ideas from minimal information. 

My wife will confirm that I once planned a 9 country caravan tour through Europe desperately trying to avoid Italy simply because I had a thing in my head that said "this is a dirty country which you will not want to visit".  I was very wrong all those years ago and, having found it impossible to avoid an overnight stay there (on the shores of Lake Como), I fell in love with Italy and it's people and have since returned numerous times.

However, I do not have either the financial resources or the years left on this Earth to even contemplate trying the "Leviathan of The Seas" type of cruise holiday, preferring to spend what I have remaining of both on the sort of holiday experience I know I will be much more likely to enjoy.

Oh dear!  I've just re-read this post and I fear it may come over as a little depressing.  Sorry about that.

:unsure::lol::unsure:

DavidH

Hi DavidH

We are all guilty of having preconceived ideas about things, We had the thought that cruising would not be for us, Wrong!

But as we get older we start to prefer staying in our comfort zone.

My Wife is a great one for pre judging anything ,Even Tv programs, "Looks like Rubbish " then asked "what's it about" and "what else is on" .How we alter as we get older....Davybe

I can relax on any size ship, just because a ship has lots of different activities you are never prevented from doing nothing.  In fact outside school holidays with fewer children on board, these big ships are probably more relaxing than a  mid sized adult only ship full of geriatric old dears staggering round the promenade deck.;)

20 hours ago, cruise addict said:

No way. It must be a nightmare getting on and off and as for getting a tender unless you are on a tour it just would not be worth the wait.

Far from it cruise addict. The very large ships operate up to 4 tender platforms at a time thus in fact making disembarkation and embarkation a lot quicker than the smaller ships only operating one. 

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

I can relax on any size ship, just because a ship has lots of different activities you are never prevented from doing nothing.  In fact outside school holidays with fewer children on board, these big ships are probably more relaxing than a  mid sized adult only ship full of geriatric old dears staggering round the promenade deck.;)

Hi towny44,

Guess you must have been on at least one of the same cruises as me.  Next time, do say hello as I stagger past!! :lol::lol:

DavidH

Not my cup of tea at all.  P&O's Azura was too big for me so this one doesn't get a look in.

RCI may well be the biggest/best innovators in modern cruise ships but they are also masters of publicity.  There are 4 pretty much identical ships in this class and each of the new builds has been about 1 metre longer than the previous one so it could claim to be "the biggest ship in the world". This has guaranteed them stacks of publicity at each launch.  I have just returned from Malaga, which was the first port of call for her after leaving the ship-yard and she caused quite a media stir as the world's largest ship...

On 3/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, DavidH said:

Hi towny44,

Guess you must have been on at least one of the same cruises as me.  Next time, do say hello as I stagger past!! :lol::lol:

DavidH

I am so pleased that you and the other 3 "old dears" were able to stagger into the bar on Marella Discovery 2 to meet me in January David :lol:

Some pictures this is a family suite sleeps 8?

4AA0613000000578-5553023-image-a-5_15222

The Kids would love a slide in the room?

Nice Whirlpool for the family.

4AA0611E00000578-5553023-There_is_a_full

Nice bedrooms

4AA061AF00000578-5553023-image-a-16_1522

Fancy a drink

Robot Barman, who still charges you 18% for the service??

4A9AA52600000578-5553023-image-a-30_1522

Still one big ship.

4AA3540100000578-5553023-MALAGA_SPAIN_MA

Makes Malaga look small.....Davybe