Land Ahoy

Why Is Cruise Line Entertainment "all The Same Stuff"

Guest shilly3191

On our last Azura cruise in November 2012 they only had 2 shows but the previous cruises there was always 3 but the first show was always poorly attended and they always said if it wasnt supported they would stop doing it. Funny thing is when we used to come out after the show the queue for the 8-30 show was as far back as the Glass House and sometimes into the atrium.

We have seen a few attempts by ships to make shows different some were good, some had an almost empty theater by the end. I used to like it when they did some shows that were less popular in the lounges. A comedian in the main theater, we usually avoid them as we have heard all the jokes before,but it makes the other venues less crowded. Many years ago we went to see a magician in one of the lounges, normally not something we would go see. He was highly recommended and his usual venue was in Las Vegas. I never worked out how he put a passengers bracelet on a stuffed goose covered it with a cloth and it became a full sized goose wearing the bracelet. I was so close the wing feathers touched my shoulder, there were no trap doors as it was in one of the lounges,there were no mirrors, boxes or tables, never worked out how it was done. The rest of the act was as spectacular and i think the venue being smaller with the audience all round made the show better than in the main theater. This practice appeared to have dropped off then when we were on Ventura last year there was a show in the theater and a couple of shows in the lounges at the same time -better choice and in some instances less crowding.

Guest Solent Richard

On our last Azura cruise in November 2012 they only had 2 shows but the previous cruises there was always 3 but the first show was always poorly attended and they always said if it wasnt supported they would stop doing it. Funny thing is when we used to come out after the show the queue for the 8-30 show was as far back as the Glass House and sometimes into the atrium.

That may well be the reason why they have abandoned the 'third' show Shilly: poor attendance.

Which of course is fair comment.

Guest Solent Richard

On the subject of queuing to see a show I could never understand the need.

Yes I have seen a queue extending into the Glass House (design feature) but the worse ship ever for queues has to be Independence of the Seas...

Theatre

14060788574_eccd97f35c_z.jpg 

Ice Show tickets

9448378401_7199cdc024_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Hi Having cruised on many lines cruise lines and even more ships do you think that the entertainment departments associated with them lack the inventiveness to develop novel cruise ship shows.  Having watched numerous shows constructed around Broadway/West End shows how many times can you hear songs such as "Phantom of the Opera" before you go to sleep.  I only really considered the lack of diversity in the entertainment programmes within the cruise line industry when I was on my last cruise (Crystal's Serenity) when a different show (Lumiere) was presented.  It considered of a dark stage and the dancers wore costumes which became illuminated or dark wth the whole show was choreographed to the music (it was both inventive and novel) and made a pleasant change from the usual shows.  What type of shows would you like to see presented on cruise ships in the future or do you like the existing shows?

Perhaps us seasoned cruisers are guilty of a degree of apathy.

Sure we can have our fill of repeats but that is life - just look at the BBC.

We should also take into consideration the effort that goes into the show's production. Any wonder they run it for 24 - 36 months.

The novelty even wears off innovative shows like Celebrity's Cirque du Soleil style productions but they are there to stay - the theatre was partly designed for them.

The larger ships of course have a multitude of alternative entertainment which is more than can be said for the smaller ones like Azamara and Regent Seven Seas.

Most of the shows on P & O are the same old thing. 'Lets Go To The Movies',etc,etc. When Roy Walker was on most passengers tried to abandon ship. There's lots of new talent waiting so someone should start looking. Other cruise lines are making an effort. Same with talks and lectures. No more Spa promotion talks, crew talks, lets have some interesting people for once. :angry:

From what I have been lucky enough to see on my travels in the last 12 months I can definitely say its NOT THE SAME

Acrobats on MSC, Dreamworks characters with aqua shows, stage productions of Chicago, Ice Dance Shows, Audience Participation Shows, Illumination show totally done in the dark, Comedians, Murder Mystery, Magicians, Britains Got Talent finalists, I think the list speaks for itself, something for everyone it all depends which ship/cruise line you travel on.

Most of the shows on P & O are the same old thing. 'Lets Go To The Movies',etc,etc. When Roy Walker was on most passengers tried to abandon ship. There's lots of new talent waiting so someone should start looking. Other cruise lines are making an effort. Same with talks and lectures. No more Spa promotion talks, crew talks, lets have some interesting people for once. :angry:

I'm in total agreement re talks and lectures. P&O have really cut down on lecturers. Who is interested in a talk on colonic irrigation? I've cruised a lot with P&O and they are one of three cruise lines I sail with (P&O, Cunard & Celebrity). Cunard still have the best lectures at sea.