Sign in to follow this  
BanburyBlue

Onboard shopping - NOT!!

Hi,

We're due off on a P&O Cruise in May (Aurora, embark 2nd May).  I've received an email this morning to say...

We are embarking on a new era in shopping on P&O Cruises, as we transition our retail shops on a select number of ships. In order to prepare for this change, we will need to close the shops during this cruise in readiness of the arrival of our new products.

The on board shops will be fully open until 10 May and will then have a phased closure where all shops will be closed by the last day of this cruise. After the shops have closed, selected sundry items will be available for purchase at the Reception Desk.

So since we booked the cruise in January, the 'bring on board alcohol' policy has changed, the daily cabin charge has been increased, and now we're being told the shops will be closed half way through the cruise.

I can't believe P&O think it's okay to do this - not happy!!

You won’t be missing much as most of the products are cheaper back home or in Ports of call.  Items we have priced before our holiday are the same as on the mainland.  We have always found the drinks prices acceptable so have never taken alcohol onboard. Therefore no problem for us. 

9 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

You won’t be missing much as most of the products are cheaper back home or in Ports of call.  Items we have priced before our holiday are the same as on the mainland.  We have always found the drinks prices acceptable so have never taken alcohol onboard. Therefore no problem for us. 

Hi, My issue is (that for whatever reason) some people like the shops.  We quite often have a browse of an evening after dinner.  Don't often buy anything, but it's something we like to do.  To find out 2 weeks before the cruise starts seems very unfair.

As they have been moving towards this change for some time now I would guess that 'stocks' would be very depleted anyway.

We were on QV just before it went in for a refit and had a huge amount of OBC .. not a problem I thought as there would be plenty in the shops to spend it on .... wrong !! what was in the shops was very limited and throughout the cruise the remaining stock was being packed away daily so I can sympathise with you but it would be an impossible task to do it on turnaround day, looking on the bright side the new products will be a lot more interesting for you to browse on your next cruise.

54 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

As they have been moving towards this change for some time now I would guess that 'stocks' would be very depleted anyway.

We were on QV just before it went in for a refit and had a huge amount of OBC .. not a problem I thought as there would be plenty in the shops to spend it on .... wrong !! what was in the shops was very limited and throughout the cruise the remaining stock was being packed away daily so I can sympathise with you but it would be an impossible task to do it on turnaround day, looking on the bright side the new products will be a lot more interesting for you to browse on your next cruise.

"they have been moving towards this change for sometime now" - so that's why  they inform us with 2 weeks to go?

At this point in time, I'm more concerned in my next cruise - not some cruise at a indeterminate point in the future. 

2 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks would it have made any difference, would you have cancelled if you'd known sooner ?? as I said I do sympathise and I also agree P&O could have advised you sooner perhaps you should ask them why they didn't, unfortunately passengers on one cruise or another are going to be inconvenienced and it's just unfortunate it is yours.

21 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

2 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks would it have made any difference, would you have cancelled if you'd known sooner ?? as I said I do sympathise and I also agree P&O could have advised you sooner perhaps you should ask them why they didn't, unfortunately passengers on one cruise or another are going to be inconvenienced and it's just unfortunate it is yours.

I have - waiting for a response.

If we've been advised at time of booking, we knew what we stood when we booked.  If we'd had been advised a long time ago we could have decided to cancel and re-book (not saying we would, but we could have discussed).  2 weeks to go - fait accompli.

I must admit I'd be disappointed. I like to have a little mooch around the shops most days. I don't know what's happening to P&O but since David Noyes moved on there seems to be no customer service. I emailed them last week about a concern I have and I've not even had an acknowledgement that they've received my email let alone a reply.:rolleyes:

I certainly understand your frustrations Banbury Blue but sadly poor customer service has been the case for sometime now with P&O. They certainly have many positives but they have their fair share of negatives too. 

I agree with Tally that I would be a little disappointed if I received such correspondence leading up to my cruise but having experienced a lot of what the shops have to offer in the past, it would be a disappointment that wouldn't hang around for too long. It would have been merely for the sake of a 5-10 minutes worth of wandering around out of curiosity but nothing more.

Again, I understand your grievance with the service charge and alcohol policy rules but such is the world of cruising that they are merely looking around them at their rivals and acknowledging that, from a business point of view, they need to make some changes. It doesn't impact us passengers to favourably but I do understand it from there point of view too.

As for the timing of the news, it would never have been good to receive notification of such changes but try to focus on the positives, Aurora is still a lovely ship, you're about to sail an enjoyable itinerary and nothing beats being at sea. I hope you still enjoy your cruise.

Are the changes in the “Shopping Experience” on board to do with the move to an Adult Only Ship or as stated “transition our retail shops on a select number of ships” because if this is truly the case I’m sure we’ll see a few more posts like this, and I wonder what notification they will receive?  On a lighter note my other half would be jumper for joy if he thought he could take me on a cruise without any shops.

5 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

Adults Only Riversong!!!!!  Surely they're not going down the route of Victoria's Secret onboard. On your lighter note I'm sure your other half's card would take a battering on land instead,

You never know Cruise Chef, they could even have a “Victoria Secretes” catwalk show on board

:P

6 hours ago, sammy sun said:

On the subject of shopping, has anyone ever purchased anything of significance when on board? I don't think I ever have.

I don't know if it could be classed as significant but I paid about $600 for a handbag, only purchased because we had a lot of OBC but it is nice. 

18 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I don't know if it could be classed as significant but I paid about $600 for a handbag, only purchased because we had a lot of OBC but it is nice. 

My wife got a £300 Radley handbag from unused on board credit.  And a while ago she bought a Gucci watch - we checked when we got home and it was cheaper on the shop, I'm assuming because no VAT (certainly was roughly 20% cheaper than in the UK shops).

Because we'd been warned about wearing expensive watches and jewellery in some ports on our world cruise, my husband bought me a citizen watch to wear when we were in port. It cost £200 on the ship and I've just checked now on their website. It's actually on sale at present for £117 but the original price was only £149. So we did pay more on the ship but hey ho I still like it and it's still going strong and it was well worth it at the time otherwise I wouldn't have been able to tell the time when I was on shore.

We were on Ventura's last cruise before it went in for its refit and this was the first ship where the shops were changing, as a result they were shutting down over the last few days of the cruise.  It did make the atrium seem empty and bare and it was made worse as we were missing the Azores due to bad weather and had 9 sea days at the end of the holiday.  Not that we would have bought anything but having them closed off and shuttered did make the ship seem a bit dead.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:42 AM, 2torts said:

Sorry Tally but to me that's still an expensive watch. I don't think I've ever owned one that cost more than £50.

Well if you are ever inclined to spend £117. I can highly recommend the watch. It doesn't need batteries, it's waterproof (necessary if you're like me and forget to take it off before having a shower:rolleyes:) and doesn't need winding up like my more expensive watch.

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, BanburyBlue said:

I have - waiting for a response.

If we've been advised at time of booking, we knew what we stood when we booked.  If we'd had been advised a long time ago we could have decided to cancel and re-book (not saying we would, but we could have discussed).  2 weeks to go - fait accompli.

Official response from P&O - tough luck!!