sammy sun

Will the new Liverpool cruise terminal attract cruise lines to change their plans?

I've just read a news article on Bolsover's site - https://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/news/new-cruise-terminal-liverpool/ 

The article shows plans for the construction of a new £50 million cruise terminal development in Liverpool. According to the news article, the works are planned to be completed by 2020 and enable the city to welcome cruise ships carrying 4,000 passengers and beyond. Considering the sheer amount of new cruise ships taking to the seas each year at the moment, and the obvious trend towards "bigger is better" do you think the Liverpool development could cause a few cruise lines to consider switching from Southampton?

Surely they will have received clear intentions from cruise lines looking to use the terminal otherwise the math would not add up in going ahead with the project. I just wonder how many cruise lines will consider using the port as a turnaround terminal rather than just a port of call on an itinerary such as the British Isles.

The article goes on to say that Fred Olsen and CMV are already using Liverpool as an embarkation port but will others follow suit once the construction has taken place? I'd imagine the interest would be there for Royal Caribbean, P&O, Cunard and Celebrity for example to perhaps base a ship there during certain times of the year.

I’ve also read the Bolsover article as always very informative, on a personal note I can highly recommend Liverpool Cruise Terminal.  On our last sailing back in September with Fred Olsen’s Boudicca we departed from there.  Based in the Midlands this was so convenient and we also felt it changed the dynamic on board as it was mostly us Northerners taking advantage of this port instead of travelling all the way to Southampton.

As investment is made I really hope more companies take advantage of using this port, because geographically it makes sense to have a Northern base.  If you look at how Cunard arrange some of their sailings they have embarkation in Hamburg and Southampton so even with the larger ships this can be worked into the itineraries.

Liverpool vibrant city and if you’ve never been worth an overnight stay before the cruise.

We will have a long journey to get to Liverpool but it will definitely cut our journey in half if we don't have to go onwards to Southampton. So I for one am hoping that a few cruise lines do decide to defect from Southampton for those of us who don't live a short drive away. 

Given our preference for the small/medium size of ship, I will watch this development with only moderate interest.

Also being Midlands based, it would certainly make for a shorter journey for a UK departure without flying.

DavidH

I agree Sinbad, they might do the odd Fjord /around Britain cruise from there but I don't see it becoming a major port for P&O or Cunard , it would be nice if they did as we could do Liverpool in a couple of hours rather than 4 hours to Southampton,  tbh I don't know why Cunard don't accommodate those of us who live north of Watford more, they do several trips a year to Hamburg to accommodate German passengers ( basically a ferry service ) and more recently they seem to be leaning towards Amsterdam/Rotterdam as a boarding port to accommodate other European passengers and yet in the UK it is just accepted we will all go to Southampton, if they can do 3 day cruises to Hamburg and Holland the why can't they do 2 day cruises to Liverpool.

I too agree that I don't think any of the major players will make Liverpool a regular turnaround port.  P&O are well-ensconced in Southampton and have made major investment in the cruise terminals there.  Cunard might possibly have selected transatlantic crossings from Liverpool but again, not a regular thing.

The USA-based lines are, I think unlikely to make it a turnaround base as most American or International pax like to include a stay in London as part of their travel plans.  If you look at some of the American sites, you will see that they on the intineraries they often say "Southampton (London).

Hopefully it will mean more day-calls on round-Britain or (?)Iceland cruises though.

I'll watch it with interest but surely the demand is there otherwise, like I said before, I wouldn't imagine them going ahead with the construction in the first place. Of all the cruise lines, I would have thought P&O/Cunard would have been most likely to consider it. I'm not suggesting they'd base a ship there year round but with P&O, particularly in summer periods, having so many roundtrip UK sailings, I think there's scope there to maybe locate a ship in Liverpool for a few months a year. 

As for Cunard, this history is there and that's why I think they could be tempted too. The new ship is on the way, so perhaps once the new Queen arrives, we may see them locate the new arrival in Southampton, opting for another member of the fleet to be based in Liverpool.

It'll certainly be one to watch. Like David H, I'm Midlands based too so it would be something to consider should they make the decision.

Another possibility, just thinking about it, could be that a rival brand such as NCL, MSC or perhaps even luxury operators look to make Liverpool there own. It might tempt the northerly market into giving them a try and pulling them away from the Southampton based lines.

Liverpool's problem is that it does not offer any real benefits in sailing times to the main Southampton destinations, only Iceland and to a much lesser extent Norway would have shorter saling times.  The med ports are 8 hours longer and the Baltic is even longer.  Granted for a high proportion of  northern passengers it could eliminate the need for an overnight stay in or near Southampton,  but I don't think that would be sufficient for P&O to consider basing a ship there, however the same sort of investment at Hull might tempt some cruise lines to base a ship there for it's Fjords and Baltic cruises.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, towny44 said:

Liverpool's problem is that it does not offer any real benefits in sailing times to the main Southampton destinations, only Iceland and to a much lesser extent Norway would have shorter saling times.  The med ports are 8 hours longer and the Baltic is even longer.  Granted for a high proportion of  northern passengers it could eliminate the need for an overnight stay in or near Southampton,  but I don't think that would be sufficient for P&O to consider basing a ship there, however the same sort of investment at Hull might tempt some cruise lines to base a ship there for it's Fjords and Baltic cruises.

My thoughts were why not make it an additional embarkation port ( maybe not for every cruise but it could be trialed ) hence my comment re Hamburg and the Netherlands, for years we Northerners have had no choice other than to travel to Southampton, an alternative could be there ... not that I think the cruise lines will care whether we have to travel or not !! 

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Liverpool has one major problem, it only has one tide a day. When Liverpool used to be home to the trans Atlantic liners it didn't matter what time the ship sailed, not the case with cruise ships on a tight schedule. 

Fred Olsen seem to manage. Why not other cruise ships?

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Liverpool has one major problem, it only has one tide a day. When Liverpool used to be home to the trans Atlantic liners it didn't matter what time the ship sailed, not the case with cruise ships on a tight schedule. 

Liverpool hosts lots of visits of some quite large cruise ships, lots of Grand Princess class ships, Celebrity Eclipse and Silhouette and all the Queens have been there as well, and they seem to manage an early arrival and evening departure.  So tide or no tide they appear to overcome any problems.

17 hours ago, towny44 said:

Liverpool hosts lots of visits of some quite large cruise ships, lots of Grand Princess class ships, Celebrity Eclipse and Silhouette and all the Queens have been there as well, and they seem to manage an early arrival and evening departure.  So tide or no tide they appear to overcome any problems.

You are correct towny44 they have but on days where the tide situation was favourable to them. Apart from Fred Olsen who are home basing Black Watch in Liverpool this year and Magellan doing I think 2 cruises from there all the others are just port visits. The size of ship I would think has little to do with it as the draught of most, surprisingly, are quite similar, QM2 being the exception. The tide situation has been given to me by several people I have posed the question to and they are supposed to know far more than the likes of me so I therefore rely on information given supposedly from knowledgeable sources. I am sure there are other reasons such as company set up with Carnival and NCL all having their offices in Southampton, contracts with suppliers etc. As always just my opinion and I sincerely hope that for the people in the midlands and north I am wrong.  If it happens, I will be the first to say, I was wrong, you can't ask for more than that.

4 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

You are correct towny44 they have but on days where the tide situation was favourable to them. Apart from Fred Olsen who are home basing Black Watch in Liverpool this year and Magellan doing I think 2 cruises from there all the others are just port visits. The size of ship I would think has little to do with it as the draught of most, surprisingly, are quite similar, QM2 being the exception. The tide situation has been given to me by several people I have posed the question to and they are supposed to know far more than the likes of me so I therefore rely on information given supposedly from knowledgeable sources. I am sure there are other reasons such as company set up with Carnival and NCL all having their offices in Southampton, contracts with suppliers etc. As always just my opinion and I sincerely hope that for the people in the midlands and north I am wrong.  If it happens, I will be the first to say, I was wrong, you can't ask for more than that.

As someone whose journey to Liverpool is on the IOM steam packet I agree the tides are a problem. I cannot agree however that Liverpool could not become a relevant cruise terminal for companies other than Fred Olsen. In fact we have seen other cruise ships in the present cruise terminal. I'm sure they wouldn't be redeveloping the terminal if they didn't think companies weren't interested. 

34 minutes ago, Tally said:

As someone whose journey to Liverpool is on the IOM steam packet I agree the tides are a problem. I cannot agree however that Liverpool could not become a relevant cruise terminal for companies other than Fred Olsen. In fact we have seen other cruise ships in the present cruise terminal. I'm sure they wouldn't be redeveloping the terminal if they didn't think companies weren't interested. 

Didn't realise you were from the IOM Tally. I returned from there 14 days ago after a 5 day stay. 

17 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Didn't realise you were from the IOM Tally. I returned from there 14 days ago after a 5 day stay. 

Can I just say the weather is improving slightly.;) Did you fly or did you go on the steam packet?

On 21/04/2018 at 6:56 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Not according to this web site.

http://www.ntslf.org/tides/tidepred?

In any case the can dredge a channel as other ports do to keep shipping on the move?

Liverpool has a very busy and growing container port ,why not a successful cruising one...Davybe:)

Edited by Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

In any case the can dredge a channel as other ports do to keep shipping on the move?

That's what my husband said.:)