Jump to content
RiverSong

UK Privacy Law, Have You Had an Email Regarding This?

Recommended Posts

I don’t mind admitting I’m a Cruise Junky and no amount of therapy will change me.  Much to my inboxes annoyance I must receive emails daily from all the cruise companies, normally I just take a quick look and file in the bin if not relevant to me, I’d hate to miss out on anything.  The last few weeks I have been receiving prompts to reconfirm my details I order to keep receiving communications, this apparently is due to a change in the UK Privacy Law?   

I’ll be honest if I don’t want to receive something I just unsubscribe, but was wondering if this was being sent out to everyone & do you realise if you don’t complete these details the mailings will stop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose its a good thing as it will prompt most to have a clear out of who they want to see and who not, I must admint I, like you receive a lot of cruise mail but dont mind as I'm interested but some of the other things I receive I could well do without.

I wonder if the Inland Revenue will class as junk or spam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new law requires companies to be able to prove you agreed to them sending you emails. its an attempt to reduce mass marketing emails people havent asked for.

in future if a company sends you emails you didnt agree to the info commissioner can fine them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish  they`d do the same with letters! I get cruise stuff from Iglu, Bolsover, Imagine,Scenic and the rest on a daily business. I`ve never booked one cruise from these booklets as they always seem to be top price. Of course I should call / write and tell them but it`s such a nuisance not to mention a waste of paper and postage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cruise chef said:

I suppose its a good thing as it will prompt most to have a clear out of who they want to see and who not, I must admint I, like you receive a lot of cruise mail but dont mind as I'm interested but some of the other things I receive I could well do without.

I wonder if the Inland Revenue will class as junk or spam?

This is me down to a tee CC. The emails flooding through in relation to this have basically just enabled me to stop being lazy and have a spring clean. I must admit to being one of those who receives countless emails I'm unlikely to open yet never hit the unsubscribe button, only got myself to blame for the cluttered inbox :wacko:.

The privacy law amendments only mean good things for me :P

That said, I have opted into the ones I do always open and enjoy keeping in the know with. Cruises being top of the list, closely followed by sports related content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that some organisations are (correctly, as I understand it) requiring that one "opt in" to continue to be contacted, whilst others will (incorrectly, I believe) assume you wish them to continue to contact you unless you "opt out".

DavidH    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worrying point about most of these cruise emails and postal communications regarding these new data laws is the fact that they want you to notify them if you wish to remain a member of their loyalty scheme.  I already have an account with most of the cruise lines that I use on a regular basis as I do all the cruise admin.  I have logged in and confirmed my wish to remain, but my husband does not have any accounts and I don't really see the need for us both to have one.  Are the cruise companies really going to take away all the loyalty points if you don't notify them?  They must have many customers who still don't use computers.  By the way when I tried to log in to my P & O account it wouldn't recognise me, I had to re-register and did so successfully using the old e-mail address and pass word!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Quentin said:

The worrying point about most of these cruise emails and postal communications regarding these new data laws is the fact that they want you to notify them if you wish to remain a member of their loyalty scheme.  I already have an account with most of the cruise lines that I use on a regular basis as I do all the cruise admin.  I have logged in and confirmed my wish to remain, but my husband does not have any accounts and I don't really see the need for us both to have one.  Are the cruise companies really going to take away all the loyalty points if you don't notify them?  They must have many customers who still don't use computers.  By the way when I tried to log in to my P & O account it wouldn't recognise me, I had to re-register and did so successfully using the old e-mail address and pass word!

Nothing to do with loyalty points it is just a new law being brought in by the government regarding communication and companies must prove that you have requested  such communication. Nothing to do with loyalty clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had literally dozens of these emails over the last little while from all sorts of companies and organisations. It is a change in privacy laws as said above. Also you now have to opt IN to receive marketing emails, previously you had to opt OUT if you didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Quentin said:

The worrying point about most of these cruise emails and postal communications regarding these new data laws is the fact that they want you to notify them if you wish to remain a member of their loyalty scheme.  I already have an account with most of the cruise lines that I use on a regular basis as I do all the cruise admin.  I have logged in and confirmed my wish to remain, but my husband does not have any accounts and I don't really see the need for us both to have one.  Are the cruise companies really going to take away all the loyalty points if you don't notify them?  They must have many customers who still don't use computers.  By the way when I tried to log in to my P & O account it wouldn't recognise me, I had to re-register and did so successfully using the old e-mail address and pass word!

I've just had the same problem getting into my P & O account & had to reregister.  I don't seem to be able to view my loyalty points & having received an e-mail from P & O today which had my points total on it I seem to have lost 260 points which is the total of my last 2 cruises. I've written to them to see what's happened but has anyone else had a problem with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2torts said:

I've just had the same problem getting into my P & O account & had to reregister.  I don't seem to be able to view my loyalty points & having received an e-mail from P & O today which had my points total on it I seem to have lost 260 points which is the total of my last 2 cruises. I've written to them to see what's happened but has anyone else had a problem with this?

Yes P&O have been having problems with their IT system and many, including me, are having the same problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2018 at 6:00 PM, sinbad10 said:

Nothing to do with loyalty points it is just a new law being brought in by the government regarding communication and companies must prove that you have requested  such communication. Nothing to do with loyalty clubs.

Today I received a mail shot from P & O with a tear off section to return to them stating my communication preferences.  The first section was titled Membership of the Loyalty Club.

"You are currently registered as a member of the P & O Cruises loyalty club"

"Please tick the box to remain a loyalty club member and keep your benefits"

"Updated loyalty club preferences will take effect from cruises commencing after 1 December 2018

The way I read this is, that if they haven't heard from you by the begining of December they will assume that you will no longer wish to be  a member and you will lose all your onboard benefits.  This would certainly thin down the membership but can you imagine the chaos it would cause.  I am waiting to see if my husband receives one of theses mail shot as he is the one without the on line account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quentin said:

Today I received a mail shot from P & O with a tear off section to return to them stating my communication preferences.  The first section was titled Membership of the Loyalty Club.

"You are currently registered as a member of the P & O Cruises loyalty club"

"Please tick the box to remain a loyalty club member and keep your benefits"

"Updated loyalty club preferences will take effect from cruises commencing after 1 December 2018

The way I read this is, that if they haven't heard from you by the begining of December they will assume that you will no longer wish to be  a member and you will lose all your onboard benefits.  This would certainly thin down the membership but can you imagine the chaos it would cause.  I am waiting to see if my husband receives one of theses mail shot as he is the one without the on line account.

 

I dont think the new law coming into force has anything to do with loyalty clubs just think its an excuse for P&O to reduce Peninsular Club numbers and to save money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Quentin said:

Today I received a mail shot from P & O with a tear off section to return to them stating my communication preferences.  The first section was titled Membership of the Loyalty Club.

"You are currently registered as a member of the P & O Cruises loyalty club"

"Please tick the box to remain a loyalty club member and keep your benefits"

"Updated loyalty club preferences will take effect from cruises commencing after 1 December 2018

The way I read this is, that if they haven't heard from you by the begining of December they will assume that you will no longer wish to be  a member and you will lose all your onboard benefits.  This would certainly thin down the membership but can you imagine the chaos it would cause.  I am waiting to see if my husband receives one of theses mail shot as he is the one without the on line account.

 

I had the same Mail shot.

I would presume like lots of companies and forums ,they have "dead" members who are no longer with us or ,not cruising ,so they can clean up their records.

Not had anything from Celebrity,and I would hate to lose those perks I have built up....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a mail shot from Princess Cruises with their lastest offer  "3 for Free"  At  the back of this mini brochure is a page about updating your preferences and it clearly states

"If you choose not to remain/become a member of the Princess Cruises Captain's Circle loyalty programme, you will not be entitled to any future onboard benefits or any preferential pricing offers, including reduced deposits. Please note this may affect the costs of any existing bookings you may have with Princess Cruises."

I am begining to think that this is a way of black-mailing us into providing an email address, since this appears to be the only way you can amend your preference and opt to remain a member and retain those benefits you have earned over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×