Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Viking Cruises offer ocean and river cruises combined into one trip

Just seen Viking Cruises are continuing ocean and river combined cruises in 2019. I think that’s a great idea and I hadn’t realised they were already an option for this year too. It makes so much sense for them to do this and sort of gives passengers the chance to experience the best of what both types of cruises have to offer. 

If you’re considering a river cruise, which I am again, but you’re worried it might not be for you, it’s ideal!

We can’t be the only ones loving this idea, I expect quite a few people to be interested in this. So I intend to look at the Douro River Cruise with ocean sailing from Lisbon to get the best of both worlds

Killing two birds with one stone springs to mind, but I’m not sure how this would work.  I’ve been on a River Cruise and part of the charm was the Long ship that cruised and berthed directly in the cities, I can’t imagine how their Ocean Vessels would cope with this.  This is purely personal but I like to keep my Ocean cruises on the Ocean and River Cruises on the River.

4 hours ago, RiverSong said:

Killing two birds with one stone springs to mind, but I’m not sure how this would work.  I’ve been on a River Cruise and part of the charm was the Long ship that cruised and berthed directly in the cities, I can’t imagine how their Ocean Vessels would cope with this.  This is purely personal but I like to keep my Ocean cruises on the Ocean and River Cruises on the River.

See my previous post on the subject.  You cannot get up the Douro in an ocean going vessel.

DavidH

Hi guys, saw this thread and it sounded interesting. I searched for the combination cruises and found this press release on Viking's site from early April - https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/press/press-releases/new-ocean-river-combination-cruises.html

They are offering combo cruises, they're just splitting the itinerary so as you do a river cruise on one of their longboats followed by a transfer to an ocean ship for the second part of your itinerary or the other way around.