Sign in to follow this  
Furby

Royal Caribbean change their cruise cancellation policy

I have been looking at trying to get on royal caribbean again having done anthem of the seas i wanted to try the newly refurbished independence. It seems like they have changed some terms, particularly to cancellation charges, I have come across the following -

“Cancelled cruises of one to four nights (including holiday sailings) will be charged 50 percent of the total cruise fare if canceled 74 to 61 days out. Previously, these short cruises could be canceled 74 to 43 days out with just the deposit lost, and 42 to 29 days out with 50 percent of the fare lost. Under the new policy, cruises of four nights or less canceled 60 to 31 days out will be charged 75 percent of the total fare (previously 28 to 15 days out) and 100 percent of the fare will be sacrificed if the cruise is canceled 30 days or less before sailing (previously 14 days or less). 

For longer cruises (five nights or more), the new policy is: cruises canceled 89 to 75 days before sailing will be charged 25 percent of the total fare; those canceled 74 to 61 days out will be charged 50 percent (previously 56 to 29 days out); cruise canceled 60 to 31 days out will be charged 75 percent of the cruise fare (previously 28 to 15 days out); and all cruises of five nights or longer canceled 30 days or less before sailing will be charged the full fare (previously 14 days or less out). The previous policy had no 25 percent level, but cruises canceled 89 to 57 days out only lost the deposit.”

seems that this change is not in favour of us passengers

Looks like it came into place for bookings made after april 8th. what do people think? will we see other lines changing policies too?

Cancellation charges will always be a sore point especially with the America Lines as we have different booking conditions to other regions.  I don’t think anyone would book a holiday just to cancel it, so if they are in that position must be for a reason and that when the charges hit the most.  For me this just re-enforces the need to have adequate travel insurance in place from the time of booking.

Yes, I do think other lines will follow suit.

For years US passengers have had far more favourable cancellation charges than we in the UK, reading some US forums it is a well known fact people would book a cruise in the knowledge they could cancel without penalty if they found something cheaper, it's the old old story of the minority spoiling it for the majority so yes I'm sure other lines will follow suit.