Sign in to follow this  
Dozydo

New Ship/Central Atrium

P&Os new ship is to have a Central Atrium we learn. So what's new?  On ships with central Atrium, whenever things are going on down there, it's impossible to hear anything in other lounges. Last year on Azura the pianist gave up on the "Guess the Tune"  quiz because a salesman's pitch in the Atrium completely deafened speakers in the various venues. Also it was almost impossible to hear or be heard at reception because of the loud music from dancing classes, pop groups etc.  Recently on a Celebrity ship a group played every evening until almost midnight. As the Library and other lounges were open to the Atrium, there was no escaping it.  A Central Atrium looks lovely on pictures but in practice it just doesn't work. 

Most cruise ships have an Atrium of some sort which is used for all sorts of activities, and if its music it can be quite loud.  We love them and thoroughly enjoy watching the entertainment they offer, and while the sound does reach most of the Atrium areas you don't have to wander far for it be less intrusive, especially once you pass into another music venue.  Presumably the architects take this into account as the ship is built and they try to ensure there is a minimum sound spillover from one venue to another.

I guess an Atrium works for me.

It can work if the quieter areas are still accessible, It has its advantages of being a focal point and meeting place and also a place for those who have lost their bearings onboard to be able to find where they need to go  

I guess it depends on the overall design of the ship's public spaces.  Oriana & Aurora both have a small atrium but no other bars/lounges immediately adjacent.  Also, almost all lounges/bars on those ships are 'closed in' and so dampen noise.  Conversely, on Marella Discovery 2 in January, there was a lovely atrium bar but the 'Live Lounge' immediately adjacent was not closed off to the atrium and had loud music on every night which could very easily be heard in the atrium bar.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I guess it depends on the overall design of the ship's public spaces.  Oriana & Aurora both have a small atrium but no other bars/lounges immediately adjacent.  Also, almost all lounges/bars on those ships are 'closed in' and so dampen noise.  Conversely, on Marella Discovery 2 in January, there was a lovely atrium bar but the 'Live Lounge' immediately adjacent was not closed off to the atrium and had loud music on every night which could very easily be heard in the atrium bar.

Never had this problem when the ship sailed a Legend of the Seas with RCI simply because the music in the atrium was provided by either a duo or small group which created an unobtrusive musical background and the Schooner Bar had its own pianist. Sounds like Murella have changed everything , perhaps not for the better. 

Yes, the Atrium Bar is really nice and has a grand piano which would make it a lovely venue for gentle music.  Unfortunately, immediately forward on the same deck is a venue called the Live Lounge.  It has an entrance from the atrium on both port & starboard sides which have glass doors.  The Live Lounge featured pretty loud music every evening and even if the glass doors were closed (which they never were) the noise very easily filters through to the Atrium.

i was on ventura recently and my cabin was on the same deck as reception and the use of the atrium for the shops table sales and the line dancing etc made it almost impossible to get to/from the cabin. a real pain.