RiverSong

Make sure you check the small print of your travel insurance before taking it out

It’s that time again, I love booking holidays but hate shopping around for travel insurance. Having done a few cruises now and knowing what I need to look out for, I’m aware that some travel insurers do not offer cruise holiday cover as standard, and some don’t offer it at all. I wasn’t aware though that the actual figures for this are that only 56% of the current single trip policies available to choose from include cover for cruise travel as standard. It only goes up to 59% when looking to take out annual policies.

A few years ago, I was fortunate for someone to mention this detail to me while on board and I thanked them as I would have never thought about it prior to them saying. From then on, I always look to make sure cruise cover is specified in my policy as the last thing I want/need is to have to make a claim only to find it’s void because I didn’t read the small print. I read about this on “This Is Money” and it goes on to say that according to Defaqto, only 32% of single and 29% of annual policies on the market allow you to add on extra cover for cruising. It breaks it down even further by saying that cruise cover is now not a blanket policy and one-size-fits-all option. The cover varies depending on the company you’re looking at. For example, some offer compensation for ‘cabin confinement’ whereas many don’t. It then varies again for ‘cabin-confinement’, as in some pay as little as £10.00 per day while others pay out up to £200.00 per day if you claim for missing days of your cruise.

I’ve read a lot about this lately and how cruise passengers are missing out on the proper cover needed for their trips because of misleading messages that are then accounted for in the small-print. Make sure you check.

After all that reading you’ll probably need to book another cruise to get over it.

I got what I thought was a good travel insurance deal from the Post Office, Right at the end it said ,"does not include Cruises" that would have cost an extra £300 for the pair of us for a year.

As 15 people found out on our last cruise decent insurance and an up to date EHIC card is needed, one person got helicopters off ,imagine what that would have cost...Davybe

We use Staysure cruise insurance when on another post on this forum I said I thought they were good, I got shot down in flames!

However, I do continue to use it on a annual policy, because booking ahead your ne t cruise is covered.

12 hours ago, Jenjen said:

We use Staysure cruise insurance when on another post on this forum I said I thought they were good, I got shot down in flames!

However, I do continue to use it on a annual policy, because booking ahead your ne t cruise is covered.

We switched from Staysure as the premiums shot up ,Have a look at Marks & Spencer Travel insurance.....Davybe

I agree with Davybe. My husband had to be taken into hospital whilst on a cruise at georgous St Kitts. Our insurance was and still is with M&S. They were absolutely fantastic. No problems whatsoever and were extremely helpful. Only downside is when you reach 80 they do not insure you. M&B

On 27/04/2018 at 8:17 AM, Davybe said:

We switched from Staysure as the premiums shot up ,Have a look at Marks & Spencer Travel insurance.....Davybe

The standard M&S cover offered with the M&S Premier Card is inadequate for us and excludes me as I’m 70 next month.

We got good annual cover , all medicals disclosed , with Staysure at a reasonable rate last month.  We know this this is a “first year” price and they will try to hike it next year so we will shop around again then.  For those with tricky medical issues, try Avanti. They covered all our medicals and extended cover for our 114 nights 2017 Worldie.

M & S do single trip policies for over 80.  I had two policies last year for cruises to the Mediterranean with them.   I have just taken out a Saga insurance this year - cruise to St. Petersburg in July for £343.43 with medical conditions single trip cover.

We have used staysure for the last 5 years, each time the renewal dates come up you can quote discount code from the newspaper advest, this year we got 20% off, for us my husband medical conditions they are much cheaper