Sign in to follow this  
buddy

Is there much difference between Celebrity Eclipse and Celebrity Silhouette??

I saw in the news that Celebrity Silhouette has now arrived in Southampton to replace Celebrity Eclipse as Celebrity Cruises’ Southampton based ship this year. A lot has been made of the change but is there much difference between the two ships? I know their both Solstice Class so does that mean they’re almost identical? If so, why is it all that big of a deal? Different name on the front but same ship?

I think that the overall design of the ship is the same.

However, i do believe they will both have a different feel and vibe onboard.

All ships seem to have their own personality and you do find that sometimes some of the twins do have noticable differences on-board with the ambience yet to look at they may be identical.

For example, Ventura and the Azura - they are sisters but my favourite is the Azura!

The Lawn area Has the Alcoves (For Rent ) and the Lawn  Club Grill(Extra charge)  no glass blowing (Sadly) .

The Rest of the ship seems to be the same as Eclipse,regarding layout ....Davybe

I've not been on either ship. Does anyne have a preference? I think the feel  you get onboard a ship is important. I loved when we went on Ventura but I know many people who don't like her for some reason!

Having sailed on Ventura too tigerlilly, we weren't all that keen. We had a nice time on board don't get me wrong but I prefer other ships in the P&O fleet and I certainly prefer the Celebrity ships we're talking about here. It may have just been how things fell on that cruise and we could sail on Ventura tomorrow and find it completely different but at that given time, it just wasn't as nice as some of the other ships we've sailed on.

I think one of the issues I had with Ventura was the lack of open deck space. It seemed very crowded all the time on the open decks and because of that it was difficult to relax up there, especially on sea days. I know sea days are always busy when the weather is nice but I've sailed on many ships were you don't notice it half as much and there's still always somewhere to find some space to relax. I didn't feel like I got that with Ventura.

I would sail on either of them again without hesitation.  As others have said, the Silhouette has the Lawn Club Grill and the Porch, but I hear the Glass Blowing on the Eclipse has changed to a for fee glass blowing class.  The decor of each is different, but I couldn’t say that I have found much difference in the atmosphere of the two, or Solstice either.  We have done eight cruises between the theee ships.

Having just got back from Silouhette all I can say it that she is a beautiful ship and we had a fantastic time. I havent been on eclipse so cant compare the two however the food, the service and the entertainment were fab - I would highly recommend it. :wub:

Sailed both a few times. Silhouette is slightly larger despite them both being S class ships. Silhouette accommodates 2886 pax and weighs 122,400 tonnes. Eclipse like Solstice and Equinox is a little smaller with 2850 pax and weighing 122,000 tonnes. It's unlikely anyone onboard would notice the extra passengers though. 

Silhouette does have the Lawn Club Grill and The Porch. Both are specialty restaurants with additional charges for all other than those staying in royal and penthouse suites. 

Celebrity Reflection is now sailing from Dublin. This is the fifth and final S class ship Celebrity built and is bigger still than Silhouette. With 3046 passengers and additional suite rooms including Signature suites and the rather impressive looking Reflection Suite she has a slightly different design. Some passengers have complained that these additional suites have reduced the amount of public space and that this ship can feel a little crowded due to the increased passengers as the Aquaclass and Suite restaurants, Blu and Luminae respectively are the same physical size but have to accommodate the additional aqua and suite guests.