Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

The One Ship You'd Choose For The Rest Of Your Days

Just a bit of lighthearted fun. If you were told you could only sail on one ship for the rest of your days, which ship would it be?

Would you go for a modern day super-ship or a more intimate homely-feel ship?

It'd be a really difficult choice. On one hand the larger ships would offer more diversity in dining and entertainment while smaller ships would offer more of a 'welcome home' feel to them reminiscent of 'Cheers' where "everybody knows your name". 

If I was put on the spot and could only choose the one, I think I would go with Celebrity Silhouette. I've loved many ships over the years but Celebrity Cruises hold a special place in my heart. P&O do too but more recently Celebrity have stolen their limelight in my eyes. Perhaps opting for a smaller ship would mean a greater range of ports of call to choose from over the years but Silhouette would give me that nice combination over appealing itineraries and a lovely overall ship. I love the dining choice on there and the cabins are always pristine so that would be my choice.

Having been on Eclipse 7 times I guess that would be our choice, as my wife say's "It's like coming home" .

You just know the food and service will be up to scratch ,and a good chance you will meet crew and passengers we have met before,Breakfast in the Tuscan grill ,with the Captain's club host,A nice start to any day.

Maybe after we sail on Silhouette this year we may change our minds.....Davybe

Choosing from the ones we've been on so far it would have to be Oriana. She's big enough to have plenty of choice of things to do & places to go & small enough to get around if struggling to walk which you probably would be if you were on it for the rest of your days due to old age, too much food & not enough exercise.

At the moment it would be the Aurora for me. I'm trying Cunard this year for the first time, so I could change my mind. I'll let you know.😉 

Good question sammy sun.

For me it would be none of the large modern ships that roll in the slightest puff of wind but rather an older smaller ship, one with an ice strengthened hull so that I could sail to all parts of the globe at most times of the year, one with a deep draught that would ride the oceans swells with ease, one with larger old style cabins so that I could have a bath now and again instead of just a shower. A ship that provided good food that sustained rather than just looked good. One that didn't charge exorbitant gratuities or add gratuities of 15%, 18% or now even 20% to the cost of already overpriced drinks. I think the newly refurbished Marco Polo would suit. As always just my personal opinion.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, DavidH said:

Hi sammy sun,

Interesting topic.

For me, it would be Azamara Journey.  On returning to the ship, you are always greeted by the phrase "Welcome Home".

DavidH

Hi  I would be happy to sail on any of the ships in the Azamara fleet, I consider them to offer a great cruise experience and considering the quality of the product ion offer they are probably the best value for money in the cruise market today.

On 09/05/2018 at 10:53 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

I think the newly refurbished Marco Polo would suit. 

Just got off the Marco Polo on Sunday after an amazing Round Britain cruise - Fabulous weather and got into every port and 4 of them were tenders.   Amazing little ship - we loved her - and definitely understand your choice.